Buying currency in games with real money.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mibsmeep, Jul 3, 2011.

?

Is buying currency or level skippers cheating.

Poll closed Aug 2, 2011.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. mibsmeep

mibsmeep Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Do you think this is cheating.
    Like pocket frogs stamps and potions
    Tiny towers tower bux
    Angry birds mighty eagle.

2. bunglez

bunglez Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Tree
    UK
    I think you posted in the wrong section.

3. mibsmeep

mibsmeep Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Please move to the general game discussion and questions thread.
    Sorry

4. mibsmeep

mibsmeep Active Member

May 16, 2011
    How can I get people to see this thread it just keeps going away cant get any results from 8 votes.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #5 backtothis, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    Mighty Eagle does not belong on this list. Not only does it not affect the leaderboards for the normal levels, it can only be used once per hour to pass levels you haven't previously beaten. Also, Angry Birds is a single player game where the interactions with other players is completely absent, so who cares at all? Lastly, the Mighty Eagle adds on a new game mode for players who have already beaten all the levels on Angry Birds. Instead of going for three stars, you try to go for 100% destruction with Mighty Eagle.

Don't confuse content iAP with smurfshitberries. iAPs have a terrible reputation because of those type of games, but they're really a pretty awesome mechanic. By the way, Nimblebit's games really aren't that bad. You're really not gaining much by buying the iAPs. They're more about playing longer like it should be for freemium games. However, you won't ever find me buying virtual currency for any freemium game. It's just too ridiculous for me to process why anyone would want to. Unless it's strictly to "support the dev" like many people with Tiny Towers did, it's just plain silly.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Agreed.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Um... if the game itself lets you buy items/etc, then it really isn't cheating, IMHO. Even for online games - this goes right back to Magic the Gathering where Mr. Suitcase is the guy who has 10 times as much money to spend on cards, and will have a better deck than the guy who has a starter and 20 boosters under his belt. If all of this is up-front, then I see no reason to complain.

This is especially true for single-player games (as other posters have stated) not everyone has the time/skill to ace everything, some of us might like a hand up to skip a few levels so we can enjoy the rest of the game.

That being said, I've never purchased any in-app currency/items except for characters in 100 Rogues and the included items and the level/mission skip inherent in the Collectors Edition of Mission Europa (and I've never used the level/mission skip!)

8. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    I think it is not considered cheating because thats how the games are designed. However in some online games where you compete with each other and when these IAPs give unfair advantages, it gets boring and I dont like playing these games.

9. candywriter

candywriter Well-Known Member

It's just part of the business models for those apps, as sacley said it's how the games were designed so it's within the structure of the game (not cheating). Voted no.