Wake the Dreamer (feedback request)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WaketheDreamer, Feb 20, 2014.

1. WaketheDreamer

WaketheDreamer Active Member

Feb 20, 2014
    #1 WaketheDreamer, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    Hi guys. I'm new here on the forums. I've been working on a couple of games for mobile phones for a couple of years now (or close to it) and we just began our 2nd game. I was wondering if you guys might be willing to give some feedback. The game is a mixture between sim games and 2d action side scroller with an open world element. During the day you send your character, that you create, to work in order to earn in game currency which you can then use to buy upgrades for his/her apartment or new outfits. They also own a smart phone. So with that currency you can also purchase minigames for the character to play while they're at work. At night though, when the player puts them to sleep, they dream. The dreams can be nightmares at times, survival horror, or other times you may lead armies into battle. We're putting a huge emphasis on choices. So depending on the choices of the player, the game worlds can change drastically. We're hoping to add in game romances that the player can choose to follow through with or not. We're also focussing on a pixel art look. You can check out our facebook at www.facebook.com/wakethedreamerapp to see the art style that we've developed. Any input is greatly appreciated guys :)

2. I'm actually in the same boat as you, somewhat :) I'm looking for beta testers for my new game but so far not getting any takers :p

But I'd be happy to take a look at your game and give feedback. Let me know what you need.

3. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Sorry for the short post initially haha. I hit enter without finishing up the rest of the post. I added a link to our facebook to show some screenshots of our prototype. We're going to be releasing our first trailer in about a week or so. We're in the final stages of editing and fine tuning right now :p

4. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I like the pixel art, also the gameplay story sounds interesting and considering my interest, wouldn't mind to help and give some feedbacks :)

5. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    We would love to hear any feedback you've got! :) If you're interested you can like us on facebook so that you're notified when our trailer is released. Should be pretty soon

6. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of pixel art - I find the jaggedy edges jarring. But that's probably my OCD :D

I do love the concept for the game though and the fact that you are leaving it open ended and giving the player a lot of choices. Looking forward to being able to play it when it comes out ...

7. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Done :)

8. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Haha yeah I can see where you're coming from. Hopefully the story and choices along with all of the customization options will hook you in :). We're really shooting for a game that makes the players feel like it's THEIR game. I should mention also that the character that you create, the players, does not represent the players themselves, instead it's a person that exists within the 2nd dimension and is self aware. This meaning that you as the player have the power to influence/change/help the character...We're attempting to bring the power of dreams to people's pockets.

9. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I like the concept of this. Being able to have the Mini games to stop monotony is nice.
    Are the 'dream states' interactive? To me, if it's just something I'm watching each time, I'd quickly get bored.
    Especially if everything else is the same each say. For example: character wakes up, goes to work, sits at desk, goes home, goes to sleep, ,dream state,' to watch a video? ( based on players choices), wake up, go to work......
    Yawn. On the other hand, if the dream states are interactive, especially if they are sometimes different, would be fantastic. I love the idea of there being retro games on the cell phone. Like pong,or something similar with the basic monotone coloring in the cell phone screen. For graphics, the frame could actually be the cell phone. Maybe while playing, the character receives a call from his boss to get back to work. Because these days cell phones are used for everything from calendars to grocery lists to the alarm clock. You can take advantage of all sorts of interruptions. A reminder to pick up milk after work.....
    Possibly how the player chooses to react to the interruption could be a factor in the type of dreams that occur?

I do like some sim type games but so many of them are boring. The same old thing every time I play just to get a new outfit or job. Bleh!
    The concept you're stating sounds good to me. Sim quality with something extra.
    Good luck with it!

10. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Lavender, thats exactly what we're doing! There is essentially 2 worlds that players can explore. Each dream is fully interactive with some being more mission based, and others more exploratory leading to side quests. Everything is accessed through the characters smart phone.

11. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Hey guys! Just wanted to say we uploaded our first teaser trailer. Our much longer trailer will be coming shortly! Just wanted to keep you guys posted. Take a look and like/share if you enjoy what you see. And as always, if you have any feedback we're more than happy to listen.

www.facebook.com/wakethedreamerapp

12. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Hey guys, just a quick update. We're working on adding some in depth love interests that will go beyond the 'fade to black' screen. We wanted to put a heavy emphasis on dialogue and progression to make the characters more believable. These love interests, depending on your choices and interactions, may make an appearance in your characters' dreams. We were wondering what you guys think of this? Is it something you feel you guys would really want, as gamers, or is it something more negligible. Let us know! And if you'd like to help us, please give us a like on facebook while we prepare the main trailer, over a minute of goodness!

www.facebook.com/wakethedreamerapp

13. Astarea

Astarea New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Game Designer
    Brazil
    Uhm, I haven't played it yet, but looking at your facebook page and your posts reminds me of one thing: you might want to come up with a better key phrase to describe your game.

I know "a mixture between sim games and 2d action side scroller with an open world element" covers everything, but it also leaves -alot- of blanks on what the game is about and how it works. You have to remember not everyone is willing to go after the trailer or gameplay videos to get to know it better.

Just a simple phrase saying what they'll experience or what to expect while playing it. Try to describe it in a few words to your friends or family.

On another note, it sounds pretty interesting, and the art is very pleasant. The spaceships are great!

14. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Thanks for your input! We will definitely work on a more short and concise description. We're almost finished with our full length trailer that shows some actual gameplay footage from our prototype, but you're right in that some people may not want to go after the video. Again, thanks for your valuable input, and we're happy to hear that you liked the art direction :).

15. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Here's a screenshot of our inventory system. Lots of customization options to come!

[​IMG]

16. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
  17. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
  18. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    The visual style and the description of the dream world phase, it sort of reminds me of Sword & Sworcery EP. The first screenshot with the black panther also reminded me of Another World.

Are you planning on having supplementary dream states to buy, in order to enhance the game's lifespan if it works well?

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

20. WaketheDreamer

Feb 20, 2014
    Thanks for the reply guys as well as the repost! Yeah we've got an idea on how we'll be lengthening the game after launch, including free updates and expansion packs :)