iPhone Elder Sign: Omens HD By Fantasy Flight Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Really like this game, not near as hard as ghost stories, won my 3rd game.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah. This is so CLEARLY inspired by Ghost Stories but keeps things a bit more streamlined and quick moving. I still love Ghost Stories, even if it is insanely hard, but this one is great for a quick challenge.

3. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

ELDER SIGN: OMENS is one of the nominees for Touch Arcade Game of the Week.

Do you like this atmospheric horror explorations?
    If you think ELDER SIGN: OMENS deserves to be the winner of TAGOTW, give it your vote now!

[thread=112283]VOTE HERE[/thread]

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So close but I ended up going with W.E.L.D.E.R. as Elder Sign was broken into two pricey apps as opposed to one universal (I could excuse this if there were SOME differences between the two versions) and has a number of nasty crash bugs.

5. projectmoonlightcafe

projectmoonlightcafe Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    If someone is incapacitated, is there a way to un-incapacitate them?

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    As far as I know, nope. Once out, you're out.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Update!!

V1.1 just hit the Appstore fixing all of the major issue I knew of, at least.

What's new:

- Fixed some instances where the shutters would stay closed after investigator death.
    - Fixed an issue where glyphs would incorrectly remain focused for a turn.
    - Fixed an issue with Aschan Pete purchasing items from the souvenir shop.

8. ProfitOfDoom

ProfitOfDoom Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Great Stuff!

Logged in for my first time since March to give a cheer for this game and a thanks to the devs!

Loving this, what i've been waiting for on the ipad! Wanted to play Arkham Horror for years, but never did.

I believe there are expansions to the board game, wonder if we'll ever get those too (i'm spoiled now!) Would like to see Game Center too.

Cthulhu fhtagn!!

9. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I lve ghost stories! And I win and loose, how close are the games? I mean, does it make sense to have both?

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I say if you love Ghost Story this one should also be a blast. Similar in concepts but enough uniqueness in execution so as to be something different.

I think the gameplay here is a lot more streamlined and as opposed to having 4 characters with unique abilities to make your party of 1-4, you get 16 characters to choose from in Elder Sign!

One of the simplifications of this game I appreciate is that your character can access any point in the museum each turn, so there is none of Ghost Story's logistical aspects. Related, therefore, is how this game has one space, the Entrance, that acts like your one stop shopping center where the player can buy items, heal, and other game services as opposed to breaking it into 9 different spaces in Ghost Story.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed and are likely to win a bit more often than in Ghost Story (not that it will be a cinch).

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    My credit card is hating LG ! :D

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I am liking it ... But I find it is much more dominated by luck that GS.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Enh, yeah, I guess, but you can really "mitigate the chaos" with good choices.

-How many investigators do you bring into the museum?
    -Do you go for the super nasty or relatively safe mission?
    -Which of your team can best handle mission x (because of abilities or their current items)?
    -In general do you play it safe (lots of visits to the Entrance to stock up and heal), or try to play fast an loose only using the Entrance for emergencies (when Sanity or Health are at critical levels)?
    -Do you simply want a win or a highscore (if going for a highscore it might pay to lolligag a bit taking on missions with no signs just to wrack up your missions completed/monsters killed stat)?

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Honestly, I am just trying to learn right now and I played and lost badly my first game right now with four random investigators.
    There is a lot of choice and lots of possibilities, but the glyphs never turn my way ... But n GS it was the same till I did not understand how to control luck.
    Still great advice, lovely game. One that will keep me company on my coming 18 hours flight ...l

15. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Quick question...how many investigators do you typically take? I've just always gone with 4. I actually thought you had to fill all the slots.

I really like Amanda Sharpe and Kate Winthrop...I've been experimenting with all the others.

I'd love to hear other's opinions too! :)

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I normally just use two investigators because it seems like I don't get doom tokens as quickly.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Two has worked pretty well for me.

-Day/Night Cycle doesn't spin by as quickly.
    -You always have somebody to back you up (well, until the first one bites it).
    -Keeps all rewards concentrated on two characters.
    -Is just a lot easier to manage (with 4 characters I found myself constantly trying to recall what each character's ability was as well as where I last left off with them).

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How odd as I have nothing but the deepest respect by your credit card. It can pay my PayPal account a visit anytime it wants. ;)

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Lol!!!

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Haven't picked up the game yet but it's on my wish list as I just got the new iPad...

But on visiting the devs site I noticed they posted this a few days ago http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3169

It seems the game is getting a new FREE campaign against Yig, the father of serpents!! It also says this campaign will be easier than the Azathoth campaign (which was my concern in picking this up)

They're also adding and new campaign that is an IAP with Cthulhu which is a longer two part scenario!!