Five different variants of Pac-Man, which one's the best?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mister-k81, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hello, this is my first post at Touch Arcade. I've owned an Ipod Touch since Christmas of 2009, and over that time period it has quickly become my favorite handheld gaming platform. I've already purchased 16 games for it since then, and now I am looking for a version of Pac-Man to add to my collection.

But looking at the app store, I see 5 different versions available, four are official Namco releases and one is an unofficial release. Here's the rundown:

Original Pac-Man : Tried the lite version, graphics and sound looks very faithful, but the controls are a little iffy. The D-pad works ok, the swipe controls don't work well at all for me and the tilt controls are actually kinda fun. But is it worth $4.99? seems pricey to me.

Ms. Pac-Man : No lite version. but it looks just like Pac-Man. I've always preferred Ms Pac-Man in the arcade over the original though. But how is this version?

Pac-Man Remix : Pac-Man with cartoonish 3D graphics. This is also the cheapest of the bunch, how is it?

Pac-Man Championship Edition : I liked playing this one on Xbox Live Arcade, but how does the Iphone/ Ipod version compare? I'm not a fan of having the pay an additional price to get the full game ($7.00?), but if it plays well, I may bite.

Pac-Man 2600 : The Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, I remember owning this one as a kid. It is conceivably one of the worst ports of the game ever made. I would only ever get it for the novelty factor and nothing more.

Are any of these versions worth owning? and if not are there any decent Pac-Man clones in the app store that are worth mentioning?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You should make this a poll.

I'd vote Pac Man Championship Edition.

3. Atomicvege

Atomicvege Member

Dec 15, 2009
    If you want a classic Pac-man experience, i would say original Pac-man.

The best Pac-man game in my opinion though is Pacman:CE, not only cause it controls decently but i really enjoyed the variation on the original gameplay. The only problem is that the game only comes with so many levels and you have to purchase the rest in-game. =/

4. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    While I will tell you that Pacman:CE is pretty fun and neat, I decided to go back to the classic version just yesterday myself.

5. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    The remix looks pretty good. May pick that one up myself...

6. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Stay away from Pac-Man CE if you want classic gameplay. I was disappointed when I bought it and found out you could only do Missions and Challenges... It also doesn't help you are missing 1/3 of the game because it's an in-app purchase.

7. mister-k81

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hmm... I don't see the option to make a poll in the edit menu anywhere.

And is there enough content in the 2.99 version of Pac-Man: CE to make it worth buying?

8. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I say get Pac-Mac 2600 seeing as it's not made by the official creators and may get pulled, but I say stick with normal Pac-Man, it's the best for your money.

9. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    You've only bought 16 games in a whole YEAR?

Ive bought that many in the past month lol.

10. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    My vote is for Pac-Man Championship Edition. I really like this game!

11. mister-k81

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Not in a whole year... but since December 25th 2009, yes. I like to buy my games in moderation :) . And besides that, there are still games on my Ipod that I haven't even had a chance to play yet.

The amount of good titles available in the app store is staggering, and the library just keeps growing.

But as for the recommendations, I think I may go with the original Pac-Man for now and pick up Championship Edition later. Thanks.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I only own Pacman CE which is pretty fun. I believe that the other PacMan variants -specifically the original suffered from control issues, which would make the game really suck. Pacman CE has pretty good controls, so check out some reviews of the Original before you buy...

13. mister-k81

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    For anyone who's interested there is a sale going on right now for all Pac-Man games...

Pac-Man - $2.99
    Ms. Pac-Man - $2.99
    Pac-Man Remix - $0.99
    Pac-Man Championship Edition - $0.99 (Not including the expansion)

I don't know how long the sale well last though? 'm guessing tiil Valentines?

Good thing I waited (was too distracted by other games to pick up a version)...

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Pacman:Championship Edition.

15. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    well they're all .99 for valentines day, now, get them all :D (except the 2600 one. unless it's for the lulz)

16. David7

David7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    South Dakota
    Cydia has a free Pac-man clone called Mac-man.

17. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Now updated with 8 new mazes

18. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Super Pac Man oooh ooooh oooooh or Super Ms. Pac Man. Whoops. wrong thread