Clones

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Dec 23, 2013.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I have a feeling some might enjoy this topic.
    Non-so-subtle clones on the app store.
    (There's the obvious ones Mario/Sonic, anyones similar to something like Contra also?)

Here we go:

Polyroll -> Sonic
    Order & Chaos -> WoW

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The most blatant ones:
    Temple Run and its 47,315,667 clones.
    Puzzle & Dragons and its 5,330,121 clones.
    Canabalt and its 1,884,518 clones.
    Infinity Blade and its 609,413 clones.
    Super Hexagon and its 1 clone.

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #3 Andy C83, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Oh! Cube [$0.99] is actually a very good Picross 3D clone and is recommended to fans of Picross/Picross 3D.

Touch Arcade thread.
    Gamezebo review.
    148 apps review.

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Super Crate Box has a lot of clones too. Ridiculous Fishing got a clone too (a polemic one).

The latest I can remember is the Super Hexagon clone (got a refund), released not so long ago.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Groove vortex?

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    For some shameful "true" clones, check out the games by varaprasadu potugunta. I have no idea how they have stayed up so long. It appears his Merchant to the Stars clone has been removed at least, but I know the Super Lemonade Factory dev has contacted Apple about that clone and it's still there. His other apps are direct copies too.

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yep, that one. Forgot the name, no wonder why ;P

8. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Strata and Woven

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ninja Fishing

10. redpanda33

redpanda33 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    Polyroll is awesome though.

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I think this is a thin line and tough to differentiate between clone and inspired

Ninja Fishing, Woven, maybe even GV are clones

Now the many games that use the swipe combat seen in IB, I would not call those clones. Helicopter had a touch control scheme that worked, are Badland and WingDot clones for using the same controls, a scheme that has proven it works on mobile?

Canabalt clones? Do you mean games that are also 2D one-tap auto platformers? How are those clones? Just because they have the same controls and general idea doesn't make them clones. That just means they were inspired and influenced by the games, in the same way roguelikes were influenced by Rogue

If a game is blatantly copying an art style or is an obvious copy (ie those Patapon games), I'd define those as clones. But if they're just using the general gameplay concept or a control scheme that had proven effective, that's just being inspired or influenced by that game, jusing it as a foundation and taking it in a new direction. Those kinds of games are not clones

12. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I think people could do with learning the difference between a direct clone and an homage, a game very much inspired by another. Many of the games listed here as having been cloned were hardly original ideas in the first place.

13. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Ninja Fishing
    Candy Crush Saga
    Doddle Jump
    Flight Control
    Amateur Surgeon
    Streetfood Tycoon

14. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Based on the original post, I think the intention had been to list iOS clones of games in genres that are primarily represented outside of the iOS library.

Most of what's being posted are genres that are over-represented on iOS and other devices but barely at all on consoles or computers.

15. #15 Connector, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Yeah, fun game, good Super Hexagon style type game.

16. Yes, I too think people are often too eager to use the term clone in a negative light.

For example, a cloned sheep is an exact replica, ripped assets and music is a big no no, but just having similar styles is not in my book.

17. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Wikipedia:

"A video game clone is either a video game (or series) which is very similar to or heavily inspired by a previous popular game or series.

The term is sometimes derogatory, implying a lack of originality; however, clones can be anything from a pure "ripoff", to a legitimate derivative or improvement on the original or even a homage."

As for Canabalt it has had many clones i.e. "ripoffs" that have been removed from the App Store.

18. Google Dictionary Definition

a person or thing regarded as identical to another.

19. redpanda33

redpanda33 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    Thanks to this thread I downloaded Polyroll again. It's still awesome.

20. initials

initials Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    VFX Technical Artist
    Australia
    Yep, whoever varaprasadu potugunta is, they are a scumbag. I can't believe Apple won't do anything when it's word for word copied in the description.

It's a drag, but my sales are down to nearly zero, and I wonder if they are scalping some of them.

Oh well, live and learn.