App Approval Process

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Prab, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Just read the new post on MR. Excerpt:

I wonder if 20 teams of 2 is actually enough to vet all those new apps coming in every day. Especially since they are describing the App Approval process to be such an intricate process.

2. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Picture of the app approval headquarters.

[​IMG]

4. fazfznz

fazfznz Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Student
    California
    qft ..

5. fazfznz

fazfznz Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Student
    California
    Jeff from 148apps:

"8,500 apps/week and 40 full-time reviewers, each reviewer has to do 212.5 reviews per week or one review every 11.3 minutes (at 40 hours/wk)"

6. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #6 Prab, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    Not really. The article says that each app is reviewed by 2 reviewers. So the numbers should be more like one review every ~6 minutes. Hmmm.. Thats really fast.

7. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    wow, nice calculations

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    These guys might be cursing Dave eveytime he sends them a new update of PG as soon as the first one gets approved :rolleyes:

9. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #9 DaveMc99, Aug 22, 2009
  10. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
  11. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    updates may be a whole other group

12. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    [​IMG]

Blatant rip off of the threadless tee shirt.

At least humans are running the approval process. For a while I thought it was run by a rehabilitated three-legged goat.

13. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    minigoats?

14. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hmm... Interesting. If updates go to a whole other group, things may be not as bad as we think they are.

15. #15 Mindfield, Aug 22, 2009
    This is what annoys me about Apple:

"The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone’s distinctive user experience...Apple spent a lot of time and effort developing this distinct and innovative way to seamlessly deliver core functionality of the iPhone"

...and...

"...continuing to study the Google Voice application and its potential impact on the iPhone user experience."

Dear Apple,

I have a rather novel idea for you that I think you should check into: How about doing something wacky like letting the user create his or her own experience? You may be surprised to note that Palm and Windows Mobile have been allowing users to do this for years. Oddly enough -- and this may shock your market research team so you might want to make sure they're sitting down -- this is because users want to create their own experiences. I know, bizarre, isn't it? People actually want to be able to customize their devices to suit their own tastes and personalize their stuff. I don't mean just lock screen wallpaper here, I'm talking whole skins! Completely different UIs! Why, they even want to be able to choose to use an application that duplicates the functionality of one of the built-in apps, but may do it better or in a way they're more comfortable with. Imagine that!

Now, I realize, Apple, that you consider the iPhone to be your baby and you don't want the public getting their grubby little hands all over it, sullying its beauty and besmirching its honor, and while the iPhone is only just beyond two years old, in market terms that's mature enough for it to start making some of its own decisions about where it goes, how it dresses, and whom it chooses to date. It's hard coming to the realization that your little one is all grown up now, I know, but sooner or later you're going to have to cut the apron strings and give it some freedom.

Sincerely,

Mindfield

P.S. Just in case you were still scratching your head over it, this is why the jailbreak scene still exists.

16. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    #16 sundance kid, Aug 22, 2009
    i was reading threw this earlier,http://www.apple.com/hotnews/apple-answers-fcc-questions/
    and i dont get why they only ask about a few apps in those questions, but atleast they explain alot. they say 95% of apps are approved in 14 days, but that seems unlikely to me.unless the other 5% are most of the apps ive wanted, and had to wait for

17. nande

nande New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    That's really crazy... They seem to be very busy reviewing all of the apps =\

Wouldn't like to have that job with a schedule like that, how can you catch bugs and stuff and check for safety of the info that the app uses if you review them so quickly =\ Something sounds fishy here...

18. dabbingoro

dabbingoro New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    never developed and app but i read somewhere a while back it supposed to take about 2-3 day....

Looking at the comments above i guess it take much longer!

Love the pic btw!

19. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And what is happening to the Palm and Windows Mobile market share since the iPhone made its appearance? Most people don't actually care about such things.

20. Sure they do. The iPhone beat the pants off the competition because it did what the other platforms couldn't do a fraction as well despite its lack of customization: It had performance, a slick UI, a great web browser, a full-featured iPod, and it was very stable. Its nearest competition by comparison tended to be laggy and dull and couldn't do things nearly as well or as efficiently. Also note, it succeeded despite not being able to arbitrarily run apps in the background, copy & paste text, synchronize notes, and a host of other things the other platforms could do and had been able to do for ages. That also doesn't mean people don't care about them.

Make no mistake, the iPhone has made great strides since its first iteration, but in many areas it's still only just coming up to par with well established platforms, and its enormous success speaks to its strength as a platform in spite of its shortcomings, not because of them.