Best way to capture video of games/apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by therhino, Mar 22, 2010.

1. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm really interested in doing some video reviews of games/apps along with written reviews, but I'm not exactly sure the best way to capture gameplay. My preference would be a tool that could capture video directly from my Ipod Touch and allow me to go from there, but from what I've found the only way for someone without the src and a Mac is to get a HD camcorder and record video that way.

My questions are, 1) is it possible to capture video from my iPod Touch or is their a working iPhone/Ipod Touch simulator for the PC that would allow me to do this for games? 2) Is question one isn't possible, what is the best HD camcorder and what settings (i.e. dark or light room) work best for recording?

Thanks for any suggestions and I'm on a non-jailbroken (not going to jailbreak) 3rd Generation Ipod Touch.

2. Drhank

Drhank Member

Mar 3, 2010
    #2 Drhank, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    I believe there's a specific tool, of which I forgot the name, it does require to jailbreak your iPhone though. But with it, you should be able to record your iPhone screen.

Ofcourse you could also use some kind of camera or webcam, so it actually shows when you touch the screen.

And as far as I know there are no iPhone emulators, no.

Also, when recording with a webcam I feel the best way is to make sure the background is dark. So the brightness of the screen will be the focus of the video. It's sometimes annoying seeing background stuff / other people's hands over 90% of the screen.

3. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks for the help, I have no interest in jailbreaking, but thanks anyway. I have tried to record in dark areas, but I think the quality of my webcam has been the reason for the colors not showing up properly.

4. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
  5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    why not use the iDevice simulator from the sdk on the mac & any capture software for the mac itself?

6. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    But I don't haz a mac

7. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    How do you simulate the use of the accelerometer or the gyroscope?

8. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #8 ultimo, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Then How U developing?
    Me do not knoz if latest sdk has tht option, me has leo, not snow leo, but what do U think he'll be able to do without a mac? even with a 3rd part middle ware approval, mac IZ needed

9. XMG Studio

XMG Studio Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Making games (and sometimes playing them too)
    Toronto, Canada
    As a developer there are tools we can use (I think it's called iSimulate) but you need the actual game binary, so that doesn't work for those that are looking to use it for third-party reviews.

Patti @ XMG

10. Galarraga

Galarraga New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Macbook + ScreenFlow can perfectly handle it if you have Mac.

For PC users you can use Veency. It's a iPhone screen remote app which can be downloaded at macshop so you can display your iPhone/iPad screen on your computer screen.

Tutorial here: record iPhone screen

It will be somehow delay since it's wifi. I'm not sure it can capture gameplay on iPhone with full FPS.

11. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    DisplayRecorder works perfectly for me. 4th gen ipod touch, 4.1. You need to be jailbroken to download it though.

12. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    If you want to be able to do a good screen capture, youll either need to get a mac or compromise on your no jailbreaking stance.

13. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Helmet Cam FTW!

14. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I use that too. It's very good and I like how it can output he footage in such high resolution. The only problem is it lags a bit for the more advanced 3D games, but for most games it's fine.

15. miter

miter Member

Jun 29, 2010