Flybird game now in Kids New and Noteworthy , will that boost sales?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by yemi, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Our game Flybird has just reached New and Noteworthy in Kids game section. In your exp does this help get a huge sales boost or a small one? If people use Mac more I figure it would , but do they buy on Mac more or actual iphone / ipod . Will this help me land a front page in future or not really?

Attached Files:

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    no it will not.. see post in your other thread.. would not know what apples purpose was when they introduced sub category features, since they are absolutly pointless

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Aww come on - it might give him one more sale.

4. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Classic Mr.Ugly thats why he is so loved here at toucharcade. Lets everyone give him a hug .

5. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #5 mr.Ugly, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    ? .. sub categorie promotion never did anything for anyone i know including me.. you can't compare that to a "real" feature because its only visible in itunes if you dwelve into the subcategories..

you asked i answered.. and i surely don't need a hug krehol .. cheers

edit: lol just saw that even the creators of angry birds are playing your game! wow roy.. way togo.. and they even registered on youtube to just comment on your game.. wow.. impressive..

6. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just to make the hordes of developers feel good :p

You see, they really do care about us.

7. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

We were featured in new and noteworthy in the Games category, in 5 countries including US, we had a boost of 30 downloads/day, so yeah, as Mr.Ugly said , they are kind of pointless, we were also featured in subcategories, but that didn't do anything at all!First page or no page:)

8. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Wow, that sure is impressive. Definitely gonna download the game now!!

9. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Wow you been studing my game ranks and comments pretty deeply. I love all the attention . Mr.Ugly can you pleas tell me what game of yours made it to new and noteworthy? Oh you cant , sorry none of your games made it there. Thanks for the comments though , they are so positive!!

10. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore
    Having my own games featured in new and note worthy sub categories a few times now in different countries....

YES IT DOES BOOST SALES.

I think it lasts about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.
    Not just 1 week.

11. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    @Yemi - I think you'll find that mr.Ugly has at least one game featured by Apple, so is entitled to his opinion. :)

12. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hahaha! Well, to be fair - he's not being mean. It's true that for most games a N&N in subcategories won't mean that much in terms of increased exposure.

Possibly more niche categories like music might be a bit useful? As some people will actively be searching for new music apps?

13. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    why should i be mean.. sub categorie feature is a generic feature that gives you nearly no exposure at all.. because the majority of the purchases are made from the devices and not from itunes..

again its a fact that any app with a few sales get a subcategory feature..

a real feature will have big sales spikes like this

[​IMG]

krehol if you want to play the ignorant shiller, please do so.. you've been banned once from this forum.

i just tell you that you should not expect anything from a subcategory feature.. nothing more nothing less.. if you mean thats not reasonable and you think thoose subcategorie features are done by some kind of review team.. well your entitled to your opinion..

anyway good luck with your sales..

14. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I asked a question and you gave an answer. Then I respond , then you respond.Anyway here is the featured in appstore list just click on it to see it larger. Flybird has been featured in 337 spots and new and noteworthy in USA. I praise apple for giving me more of a chance to have good sales. The future loooks bright and Iam happy for it.

Attached Files:

15. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Good luck with it Yemi :) Mr_Ugly is stern but fair, I'm OK with that.

16. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #16 tofusoup, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Unfortunately it's true. Sub category features mean little. Every game..well almost every game that is released gets to be New and What's Hot in sub category. Also depends on the category you're in. For example in kids and family, if you have 1-2 sales you can jump up 50+ positions, while in arcade or more competitive categories you would not even hit top 1000.

But you should still be happy about it. It's better then nothing but nothing compared to the appstore features. :) It's a start right?

17. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Yes it does seem to have a small impact , hopefully I can get on that front page after the update that was released today!!

18. Dizko

Dizko Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Designer
    Philadelphia
    What qualifies as a sub-category?

Does the overall Games category count as a sub-category? Or are we talking something more like Games-->Arcade?

Not that I expect to get featured or anything, just out of curiosity.

19. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Games->Arcade is a subcategory, Games is a category!

20. Dizko

Dizko Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Designer
    Philadelphia
    Don't mind my newbing it up :)