iTileMaps - tile map editor for iPad

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by KleMiX, May 3, 2011.

1. #1 KleMiX, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    It's nice to see the kind of tool comming to the appstore.
    I don't need it, for the kind of game I'm developping right now, but I will definitely try it if I have the opportunity to.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #3 mr.Ugly, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    Nice idea, hefty price.

From my experience with any more complex editing i always found a desktop solution at the end alot faster and more reliable..

Working on an ipad always feels very slow and gimicky compared to a desktop, so thats the place where i get the job done.. And i tried alot of tools raster Gfx, vector, 3d editing.. In the end it all feels clumsy and it show to me the that the ipad is mainly and always will be a consumer product.

Not to mention the low resolution small screen size :) the last time i "worked" on 1024x768 was like 10+ years ago :)

Anyway good luck with your product.. For dektop usage id stick to "tiled".

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Cool beans! I am interested but I am so new at dev-ing that I know nothing about working with tile maps and I'm not going to take an $18 chance. Might I suggest a lite version? Something to give me a feel for the workflow but sans the export feature, perhaps.

5. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well maybe you like to fiddle around with http://www.mapeditor.org/

then if you want an similar editor on the ipad you can try to one above..

at the end i still think its too expensive, and yes maybe a lite would help justifying the price tag for interested people.

but i see the very limited audience for this so a higher price is in order.. at the end he still competes with a free tool and since you do your coding on a mac you can just run tiled there.. not sure how much "mobile level editing" is really needed for devlopers.

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I can see some advantages to this app as compared to a desktop version. Especially if you're developing for the iPad specifically. I can imagine it making it easier to spot immediately if a level design makes sense when you get to see the exact same view the player will almost immediately.

7. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    This is disappointing, are you using an iPad 2 for your work? I don't have one yet, but was looking forward to using it to create content and graphics with it. I was thinking that a nicely intuitive 3d editing program would be outstanding, between the multi-touch gestures, pinching and rotating, and things like that, it seemed like it had the potential to be quite fast.

My composer has made all our music on his iPhone, and has said that it's so much easier and fun since you can compose anywhere at anytime.

I'm a painter first and formost though, so I'm looking forward to doing some painting and concept art on my iPad once I get it!

As for the tile editor, I think it's pretty cool, and it would be neat to see a whole tool set come out for game designers that let you design specifically on the iPad. Even if it's a little more clunky, the mobility aspect is awesome!

8. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    it can never be as fast.. a mouse, a wacom pressure sensitive tabled and a keyboard with hundreds of quick shortcuts to access and working on a 30" at 2560*1200 can never be beaten by an tablet.

and no i have no ipad2 yet they just got more avaiable after the first weeks but at the end for developing its not as interesting as the lowest denominator which is the ipad1..

from a user perspective the bump in speed and ram is surely nicely but still lousy compare to my "ordinary" workstation, and still a lousy amount what is 512mb 2011? i was actualy shocked back in 2010 that the ipad1 had lousy 256mb.. which was the same amount as third generation iphones/ipads with less than a quarter of screen size... but i'm getting offtopic here about the cheapish descisions by apple, on one side the best touchpanels avaiable on the other side below average hardware..

yeah well maybe he is one of the i call them "arty fartsy" people who need to sit in a cafee with their notebook and "work" there, and be hip..

when i work i sit in my tiny office and work, when i work i work, i don't need to "work" during a commute from a to b.. i rather work in a silent enviroment where i can focus on the task at hand. quick and effective.
    thats a reason why i hate thoose "loft like" offices alot of bigger dev studios have.. its just loud noise, not my cup of tea. :)

well i've yet to encounter an artist who would step back technically from an cintique to an ipad.. they all toyed around with painting apps on iphone/ipad.. but so faar that all just a novel gimick at the first glance, i think they are too much of pros to make several steps backwards and fiddle with pich gestures etc. which can by accident be seen as strokes etc.

at the end (tm) i still stick to my pov that productivity apps on the ipad are more a gimick than real tools.. and i have alot of them tried out..
    at the end all feels very very slow and limited.. like someone would throw you into gelatine and then force you to run a 100m track as fast as possible..

:)

well i can't see the awesome-ness of the mobility.. with the huge deficites there is.. maybe should should try out an ipad before bying it for mobile developing.. except you want to hunt for shadows all day long.. sitting in the sun and seeing barely anything on the screen is not nice at all..

but hey everyone can do as he likes..

9. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #9 BravadoWaffle, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Don't be such a sauerkraut! haha!

My German grandma used to say it's like "A heard of turtles in a cloud of peanut butter" but maybe that was just her thing... :)

I agree, it's a big step back to use an iPad for creating things, especially if you are looking for professional quality production. I love to do my art while I travel and explore, and paint on scene and edit my videos on the fly and all that good stuff. And I'm far from professional in that aspect.

In the end though, I'm just trying to justify purchasing a new toy! Why does everybody have to rain on my parade? :D

10. It's not said it should replace Tiled :p
    It's meant for users who want to be mobile at their work. Imo it's awesome to create something while youre out and have some idea. Or generate some concept on team meeting...
    It's meant to be used with Tiled.

11. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well like i said before it does not float my boat and like someone else said way too expensive "just to try it out" i think a feature limited version would be helpfull. At the end im also not a guy who carries around his ipad, the iphone makes everything i need on the go and fits perfectly fine into a pocket.

At the end (TM) your targeting the cocos2d(free) audience with a mobile variation of tiled(free) and there lies your biggest problem.. You compete with open source software on a very limited market.

Good luck anyway :)

12. J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Game Dev (tools & tutorials)
    Alaska
    Yeah, big screen, keyboard, mouse, etc., is "better" for productivity...

...but I find myself sitting in the car waiting for my kids to get done doing this and that often enough that I bought this as soon as it was available. Being able to work on levels at any time -- how could you not like that?

If I was an employee I might whine about it if that's all I had to use, but as an indy without enough hours in the day as it is, being able to work in otherwise unproductive times is wonderful.

My only regret is that I bought at $18 instead of $10. That will teach me to buy right away. :(

Jay

13. iTileMaps Compact

For all who want to try iTileMaps or don't own an iPad I've released iTileMaps Compact edition which is free to try and runs on iPhone or iPod Touch.

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.