Universal Braveland (by Tortuga Team)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 16, 2014.

1. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Playing the first map, other thn not be able to replay the mobs, this is an awesome game. Playing at the hard lvl with little difficulties.

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #22 ScotDamn, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    I've unlocked all but one unit. Definitely more of a casual game here. When I saw numbered units and a battlefield with hexes I was all in. But it falls short in strategy. It's pretty polished and theres certainly fun to be had, just don't expect some strategic battle experience. It's there somewhat, but it's minimal and mostly streamlined.

There's some potential in this on top of all that. It's up to the developer to take it further.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    How long did it take you and how long have you been playing so far? I'm tempted to buy it but then again, I'm not so sure.

4. playpanic

playpanic Active Member

Feb 27, 2013
    About 5-6 hours. Somebody says the game is too big for mobile. ;)

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Braveland just came out for PC/Mac DRM free on GOG.com and through Steam; that's impressive to see a cross platform release like that.

6. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Admittedly, I played for 90 minutes.. straight (maybe closer to 120 minutes?). That alone says something I think. I'm in the snow area right now.

There are some strategy elements to it if that's what you're looking for. You have control of what units to have in battle, forcing to leave 2 unit types out (at least at this point) so that adds some strategy. Positioning isn't as important as I'd hoped, but it does matter somewhat. An obvious example would be you wanna keep your archers at distance. Also one of the units has a throwing knife skill that requires a distance of 2 spots away, inflicting extra damage.

The hero skills add another dynamic. They range from an extra attack to buffing a units defense or initiative.

As it is, if you die (that's a big IF) you simple respawn as if nothing happened and the game gives you some extra gold and suggest you go "reinforce your troops". No penalty.

Just trying to give you or anyone else a good idea of what strategy elements are in the game.

7. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    This game is brilliant. Simple but very entertaining.

8. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

To the dev.: is there plans to expand the game (new areas, enemies etc.) or will it be as it is right now?

9. Apricosomoso

Apricosomoso Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
  10. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

None... Read the thread...

11. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    This sounds and looks like my kind of game. Can anyone tell me what the install size is? Thanks!

12. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Install size: 226 MB

13. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    This game pretty similar to heroes of might and magic... But heavily simplified

14. playpanic

playpanic Active Member

Feb 27, 2013
    It depends on the success of Braveland. We are thinking about some sequel. :) What do you want to add to Braveland?

15. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Female main character.
    Ability to fight among the units for main char (like in heroes 4).
    Detailed map with sidequests like in King's Bounty. Current meta game is pretty simple.
    Artefacts crafting.
    More abilities to units.
    My own castle.

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

The suggestion in post #35 are quite good, but maybe too far fetched.

I was just thinking of more side quests/hidden loot/new areas only. Hopefully you will see success enough to expand this game. I love how well crafted the assets are and hope that we can have a deeper experience with them eventually. Good job. :)

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I think this sounds good and is more realistic since I'm assuming you're not making Flappy loads of money. The game has a great base for adding more things.

As for a sequel, or even the current version, I hope you can add more deeper ways to strategize. Maybe a lot tougher enemies, elements, combo system, etc. Just whatever to make the game take more thinking than bull rushing the enemy and picking them off 1 at a time '(which seems to work pretty well for me).

18. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I'd quite like to see a local 2 player pass-and-play mode with a suite of troops (perhaps with point values) to choose between.

19. AppsVerdict

AppsVerdict Well-Known Member

Trying it out later today, but from the looks of things I think it's going to be awesome! :D

Nice to see the devs are here as well

20. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Thus far I am really loving this game - the artwork is fantastic but most importantly the gameplay is perfect on mobile to give a casual HOMM-like experience.

I think my number one ask would be a random map generator similar to HOMM.

That's probably a tall order, so other than that, some way to increase the replayability. I haven't finished the game yet but I read earlier it was around 5-6 hours. Maybe have an advanced difficulty level that lets you carry over your character and continue playing indefinitely (e.g. Diablo)?