iPhone The Journey Down - classic point & click

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by skygoblin, Feb 7, 2012.

1. #1 skygoblin, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    UPDATE:

Now available in the app store!

Hey toucharcaders!

Ny name is Theo, I'm one of four developers at SkyGoblin, a small game dev studio in Göteborg, Sweden. We're currently working on a classic point-n-click adventure game called The Journey Down that will hit the AppStore some time Q2 2011. Anyone with nostalgic memories from games like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango will definitely want to keep your eyes on The Journey Down.

The first chapter of four will be released on PC and Mac this quarter with iPhone, iPad and Android versions following shortly. For more info and screens check out the official website or follow the dev blog directly on skygoblin.com.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and thoughts are much appreciated! We are especially interested in hearing about your personal experience with other similar titles on iOS devices. As we are still in development, we still have the possibility to tailor the experience to the audience's need.

Thank you!

2. megasiech

megasiech Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    #2 megasiech, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    hy Theo!

great looking pictures with a very nice style.. can you tell us something about the Story? i love the SCUMM Interface and many similar games on Touch devices show up a Icon to tap ..that makes it sometimes to simple . The main point of .P&Click Adv. Games are good riddles &storyline

3. Hey thanks for the kind words megasiech!

We have chosen to have an incredibly slimmed interface in The Journey Down. There's nothing else than a click and sometimes a drag. No verbs whatsoever. We have the strong belief that the trickyness in the puzzles should lie in the actual thought-work behind the puzzles, and not in figuring out how to use the actual interface.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what Point n click games you think have had successful and comfortable control schemes on the iPad.

As for the story and setting, here's a brief summary:

The Journey Down is a classic point 'n click saga with a black African twist, owing much of its character and pattern design to traditional central African arts such as carvings and masks from the Makonde and Chokwe tribes. Mixed with an all original jazzy reggae soundtrack, feedback-oriented puzzles and tons of hand painted environments, the unique cultural fusion of The Journey Down is bound to draw you in.

In the first part of four, Over the Edge, our hero Bwana and his trusted sidekick Kito struggle to make ends meet at their run-down gas station. One day their lives turn upside down as they're thrown into a twisting plot of corruption, laughs and brainteasing adventure.

4. ghen73

ghen73 Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Gorgeous screens. Very unique. Based on the description I don't recall experiencing anything else like it stylistically. Always get excited for new titles in this genre. Best of luck. Looking forward to it.

5. lostxii

lostxii New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Wow, looks great. Can't wait to see it in action.

6. Thanks for posting the trailer Sanaku!

[​IMG]

Just updating to say we just started blasting out our preview build to the press, so if you're an author of internet propaganda, be sure to send us an email at info ät skygoblin . com and we'll be sure to hook you up with a copy! The press preview build however only exists in PC and Mac format.

Chapter one is coming to PC and Mac in mid May 2012, with releases on iOS and Android to follow shortly thereafter. Read me rant about our development on @theowaern.

7. fingerthinker88

Mar 15, 2012
    I love the artwork!

8. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Loving the attitude and the art a lot! Looking forward to this on iOS and hopeful about how it'll look on the new iPad. :)

9. adamjones

adamjones Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Developer
    The Journey Down - classic point & click

Graphics part and presentation are good

10. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Grim Fandango? TSMI? Bingo!

I love the art-style, presentation and overall polish in the trailer.

Head-scratching puzzles are perfectly fine, providing that the solution is logical - even if sometimes requires lateral thinking. The problem with TSMI is that some of the puzzles couldn't be figured out by thinking the puzzle through, and required on combining ingredients and hoping for the best.

Extremely promising! Mobile gaming is the perfect platform for a lot of old-school genres to be given a loving 'modern' touch and introduced to a new (as well as old) set of fans.

11. Looks absolutely stunning - the more classic adventure games like this that come out the better. Love the art style but the main character looks a bit scary...

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Definitely on my Wishlist for this Year. Looking forward to see more about it in the following Months.

13. 4xor01

4xor01 New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Looks great!

14. IrishRed

IrishRed Active Member

May 22, 2011
    Jumper of Sharks
    Boston, MA
    This looks great to me, I love the return to adventure games that seems to be happening. The iPad interface in particular is great for it. Narrative, puzzles, humor, and adventure without constant IAP prompts feels like a step forward at this point even though it's retro. :)

Curious: Did you use a particular engine or library for this?

15. Finally launched!

Hey all!

I just thought I should mention that the game finally has been released and that it is

Now available in the app store!

It costs $2.99 and is built for both iPad and iPhone.

We've been getting some great reviews too!

Some sweet quotes

9/10 - "The Journey Down: Episode One is an expertly put together piece of entertainment." - Pocket Gamer

"With its exquisite hand painted graphics and its singular Afro-Caribbean setting, The Journey Down is one of the most original adventure games I've played in ages." - Kotaku

"I have a feeling this game will end up on Apple’s shortlist for Game of the Year in 2013." - AppAdvice

--

Thanks for your supportive comments in this thread - they helped motivate our development! If you do chose to buy the game, (THANKS!) please drop me a line here and tell me what you thought about it. I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks!

16. call of brothulhu

call of brothulhu New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Just saw the update with the chapter two preview! SO EXCITED!!!!