How to Create iPhone Icons

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by iKoda, Feb 14, 2009.

1. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    This might be in a wrong forum but it seems in the right spot to me.

Anyways. I jailbroke my iPod Touch to make new icons for icons I absolutley hate. The problem is I don't know how to make niceley curved edges and the shine on Photoshop CS3. Below is an example of my custom icon for Auto Mangle. I really like my icon, but on an iPhone the edges are a bit sharp, and the shine isn't right. Could someone make or link and tutorial?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    The problem is that the shine and curved corners are made by X-Code automatically. I don't really know how to do them in PS. But..the icon size is 59x59 I think

3. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Well someone in the Icon Competition for Stitch em Words made all the contest entries look like iPhone icons.

4. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I'm not saying it's impossible. I just don't know how.

5. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
  6. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

Actually the shine and curve are made on the device at runtime. If you have a Jailbroken phone (or are a developer and use the Simulator), you can open up an app and see that the icon file doesn't have that effect. And when you give the app an icon, it is recommended that you supply a 57x57 pixel PNG.

7. shedlock2000

shedlock2000 New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This is exactly what i am trying to get rid of!

I have a broke phone,m and i am installing a LCARS based theme on the winterboard, however, some of the icons have fitted flush, with no corner radi, or shine, and others that i have imported into the icon.png file with iphonebrowser have not. I need to remove the shine and the curves, why have some icons installed without this, and how do i make the others install with no curves.

Also, when i have deleted the existing icon, and imported and renamed one of the icons i wish to use, some of the apps do not show an icon at all!

The icons with the curves, and not the full sized icon, also have the name of the app underneath showing, i need to remove this too, which i can with the do not showw function on the winterboard, but this does not return the icon to its square full size..... its VERY annoing!

Someone please put me out of my misery! I would apprieciate some one who would email me? as im not too good wwith forums and the like, i also have a very poor understanding of these things, i am very new to the whole game! I wish i could upload a screen shot to explain better, but i have failed miserably at this too!:confused::confused::confused::confused::eek: