Game Selling Model

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pokit, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Pokit

Pokit Active Member

#1 Pokit, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    Hi,

This is our 1st post. We are going to complete our 1st game & currently looking for which options for our selling model.

We are looking either
    1. Paid version + Lite version
    2. Free (3 levels) + In game purchase to unlock the whole game

Need some opinions from you all about pros & cons of these models, let me know you are fellow game developer or potential game buyer as well.

Thanks,
    Pokit

2. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    what kind of game is it?

3. micgao

micgao Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    If I was to buy a game, I would only pay when I buy so I pay once when I buy the game.
    I personally hate DLCs

4. knobish

knobish Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Chief Chiefer
    Anaheim, California
    I believe and have heard that 'free samples' and 'demos' are where its at, and really if you think about it - if you have a quality product, could you think of a better sales tool? Demos and other versions (I bought all of the looptastic apps) have sold me on some of my fav apps and I never hesitate to check out a new demo.

5. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Do the paid version + a lite. People who don't have wifi won't be able to download via in-app purchases.

6. Pokit

Pokit Active Member

@freedog: It is a fast pace casual game, more details will be reveal soon. ^_^

@micgao & @knobish: What we means for 2nd model is instead of doing 2 version (Lite & Paid), we are now coming out 1 version, which is Free to download & play for few level, but can make the purchase to unlock the whole game.

@SunriseMoon: Thanks for point out this. This might be a point which stop us from doing in-app purchases. We are thinking of putting the whole game when user 1st download the game, we just lock some levels within the game itself & only unlock those levels when user purchase the full game.

Regards,
    Pokit

7. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Hi Pokit!
    Welcome to TA!
    It is a good that you have come to TA & ask us on how you would want to Begin with, We all feel Obliged & of course you will hear from MOST of the active iDevice users (exclude me from the latter list :eek: )

I like the 2nd model...
    Pros of the 2nd Model
    > Reduces the clutter (i'll not have to have 2 icons)
    > I do not have to play the levels tht I played in the lite version.

Cons of the 2nd Model
    > Makes Devs. Greedy (not good moco & SGN for Skies of Glory)
    > PpL without Wifi cannot buy it (I am out of tht list.... Finally)
    Just ensure tht you do not ROB PpL with the DLC like notgood moco & SGN, or else... u
    'll find some place in ma Siggy!

Edit:
    Just read tht SunriseMoon has already mentiond da points :eek:

8. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Dude why the lite version keep full got

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #9 Coldar, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    What attracts me to a game initially is of course quality, content, price.
    A lite version thats available will get me to purchase more quickly than the other option you have posted.

So I go with your first option.
    Full version and a lite. Think thats the route, imo. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way. I need that personal game experience to sway me to buy (know you mentioned 3 free levels in other option but..) and would buy the game more quickly if a lite was available.

Edit: I too don't really care for in game purchases actually.

10. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i have no problem with DLC if it adds to a solid game.

but i do not like having to pay to get a solid game.. meaning.. i pay .99 then i have to spend another 9.00 to get everything to make the game complete.

id rather pay the 10.00 up front for a solid game.. then buy extra maps etc via DLC.

chris.

11. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I prefer the lite + Full game rather than the DLC.

12. Batman1v

Batman1v Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Student
    I too cast my vote for lite + full. DLC just feels cheap to me. I only want to pay for a game once, and I want to get the game when I buy it. I hate the idea of paying for the ability to download the rest of the game. If you plan to price your game as free with the rest unlockable as DLC I would instinctually think less of it than if it followed the standard model of lite + full. And from the looks of this board, that isn't just me.

13. Pokit

Pokit Active Member

Thank you for your feedback.

@ultimo: You got the points for the pros for 2nd model(no 2 installation & no need to replay the level for lite version).

@Mondae: We need a free download version to bring up the visibility.

@Coldar, @sid187, @songbird, @Batman1v: Our intends of using 2nd model is not charge the gamer with extra DLC. What we want is to put the lite & paid into a same version.

So gamer can instead of
    1. download lite version, try it(limited level) & buy & download the full version(maybe $0.99) if they like
    they can
    2. download 2nd model, try it(limited level) & unlock the full version(also $0.99) if they like, it's like a functionality unlock rather than additional contents download, like a try & buy model

Pros: No need to download 2 copies of the same game(lite & full), No need to replay the level in lite version, easier for game maintenance(1 version only), maybe lower piracy rate:p

Cons: Lower acceptance of In game purchase, need Internet connection when doing the unlock (not seeing as a big prob since when convert to lite to full also need connection to do the whole download)

14. Symbolist

Symbolist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Once was a writer; then AS became to overwhelming
    Possible buyer

I am trying to avoid DLC as much as possible. Prefer lite versions.

15. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Pokit:

Our intends of using 2nd model is not charge the gamer with extra DLC. What we want is to put the lite & paid into a same version.

Pros: No need to download 2 copies of the same game(lite & full), No need to replay the level in lite version, easier for game maintenance(1 version only), maybe lower piracy rate.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Coldar:

Think the stigma of DLC had me narrow minded when initially read your post.

I think now I would be very interested in this approach. With the lite/full in one.
    I would seriously consider a purchase with this option. Sounds like an ideal plan that would be beneficial for both parties.

I'm just a gamer btw

Sorry if too late for my 2nd response.:)

16. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?

17. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #17 Coldar, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Maybe a few were like me and didn't really read or understand the 2nd option. Being a new idea (?) I wasn't grasping it (long day) and because I was rather set in stone with the lite and full versions being separate apps like I'm accustomed to.

And if you did understand it fully then this post wasn't meant for you or could possibly add some mature input.
    The wi-fi issue has already been addressed within the thread and Pokit is aware of this.
    This simply explains Option 2. (oh yea....imo )

On Option 2:

Believe they meant the game levels in the lite version would be part of the full versions game, but all (lite and full version) are in one app only and being the whole game w/o any DLC as Pokit mentions.
    Theres many games already that are lite versions and actually part of the full versions game but are totally separate apps.

After completing these lite version levels theres an option to buy the full version thats attached.

If you don't like the game, simply delete it, lite version as well as the locked full version.
    (actually that sounds somewhat risky for Pokit, hacker might find away to crack it, I wonder. eh, like my earlier post said, I'm but only a gamer)

But anyway, they need the free version available (within the full game which is locked) so gamers can see it and play (Pokit's meaning by visibility).

Now unless the lite IS a separate game demo thats in one app along with the full version (thats locked), than I'm not for it.
    I wouldn't want wasted space on my device if this idea catches on. (or there may be games/apps like this that I'm not aware of).

18. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    something i am not too sure of, is "will a gamer get 'enough' out of the first free chunk of content, and want to pay any more for it?"

I think it depends on what you are selling, what the quality is, and how popular it becomes. something like pacman CE can get away with it because of the name (and even then, people were up in arms)

Anyway it's tough. I think overall the point is, if you are new to the scene, most importantly you want to get your name out there and make something quality which has the highest chance of penetration/visibility. "Blow your wad" in this way, that is make sure the meat of what you are making is available FREE - but design it so that your audience will be desiring more than just that, and will be willing to pay for what other content you've built.

I am trying hard to balance that with our new game (due out shortly) and it's really tough. I want to give away enough that a (curious) player who doesn't know me will at least say "hey it's free, why not" give them enough in the light version to hook them, and offer a more fulfilling experience for just a couple bucks - but if they are too tight with their money, they can still get enough enjoyment out of just a lite (rather then never seeing what I've done, at all). Besides, maybe they will keep it around and play it a couple more times and say "ohhhh ohhh I need this!"

19. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #19 Coldar, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

Guess I would fit the "curious" player always looking for the epic game.:)
    So giving you some input.

Examples of good playing content that swayed me was Textropolis lite (no longer available) and Super Word Find lite. They both had enough content to play a fairly nice game w/o the full. But in the end, I did purchase both because of wanting more. Not a bad ploy but theres a time factor with this process and wouldn't be an instant buy for the full.

Of course you've got your tight wads that would never buy of course and granted there are a lot of the younger set w/o cash on hand. But its certainly a way to get a game on my device to play and think this is what your trying to do initially by wanting more visibility in hopes of purchasing the full. Just figuring out how much content in the lite vs the hopes of purchasing the full game.

On a side note:

Not sure of what type of game your making but have always wondered why lite versions are always in predetermined levels to play that are in succession. Say play level 1 then level 2, etc. and usually at the start of the game. As for trying to balance the lite and full versions, I don't see why a lite can't have a partial of each level within the game. Say....the first level (s) then show a middle level (s) of the game (to interest more advanced players and to show difficulty, etc) and finally one level of the later end part of the game without giving away all your content. Granted the game play would suffer but wonder if it could become an alternative in some games to still have the full game purchased. Might be issues with this but sounds good while writing it.

Anyway just a thought. And in hopes that your new game will be a success.:)

20. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    This is a really interesting thread. Great to get a snapshot of how gamers think about DLC. It seems DLC makes people a little nervous that they might end up paying more than they want to. Maybe because it hides the true total cost of the game.