Games that players can't control the main character.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gpineda1, Jan 13, 2014.

1. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Being creative and helping clients
    Northern NJ
    I'm a developer and wanted to ask anyone's opinion on this and kinda doubting my the game play in our game, Taboo Tyke.

We developed a game with a cute baby named Tyler but you can't control the main character like other games. You can't make him go left or right or even jump. He just walks and walks like babies do. Well my question, if you are kind enough to provide any opinions, do you think we made a mistake by NOT allowing the players to control the main character and only influence Tyler by dragging to the screen teddy bears and candy which will make him stop and crawl? There are other Action Items in the game but is this concept not familiar in game play and potentially a negative to the game? Does anyone know of another game that has a main character that can't be controlled but only influenced with stuff? I'd love to hear about those games and check them out. Thanks.

Guy

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The recent Colossatron: Massive World Threat had a main "character" (giant alien robotic death snake of destruction) couldn't be controlled (other than a skill where you could make him charge in a direction) which did very well commercially and critically.

In order to answer your question I think I'd need more gameplay details, like the objective of the game etc. I do think your current system sounds interesting but I'd like to hear more before I can provide a definitive answer

3. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Northern NJ
    #3 gpineda1, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha he's so cute! And from what I see here it's definitely NOT. A mistake. The gameplay here looks really novel, and makes it so it's not just another platformer.

5. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Northern NJ
    Wow, that Colossatron looks freakin awesome! Maybe one day when our game company grow up, we can be like them!

6. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Northern NJ
    Glad you like it!

Wow thanks. So far everyone that starts playing, as far as I've seen, never pay attention to the instructional screens and never drags the Action Items. They always click and the clicks the screen. Doesn't work that way. Maybe we should look into that to ease the learning curve (which I don't think is too difficult).

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Maybe make the tutorials more interesting? Bright colors, cute faces I'm not sure.

Is it optional to play the tutorial or is it part of the first level?

8. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Northern NJ
    Well when you first start playing, an intro movie plays and then in level 1 and 2 there are mini tutorials that you have to click continue to get rid of them. There is something about them that seems slow or maybe delays the players need to get right into the game? Maybe I'm over thinking it!

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Do you have any screen recording functionalities/apps on your computer or iDevice that you could record that video and 1st 2 levels with? I'd be glad to provide input on them

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Have the instructions as billboards in the background. That way the player can't skip them, sees them, and it fits the enviorment.

11. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Northern NJ
    #11 gpineda1, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Here's a video on how the instructions show in the game. Sorry the video is a little long. Basically, the game stops you watch and need to hit Continue to get back to the game.

12. gpineda1

gpineda1 Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Northern NJ
    Here's a video of the in-game instructions. Basially, the game stops and player will need to click continue to get back to game play.

http://youtu.be/eiD7zfqoafw

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's an interesting idea that can be great if done right.

Only other example I could think of:

Whistler's Brother by Broderbund (I played it on the C64 a few years back... ;))

You play Whistler and have to get your brother safely across each screen. Naturally, he's too busy reading his newspaper to pay attention where he's going so you can whistle to get his attention and (kind of) get him to head in your general vicinity...

A unique and very evil game.

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    It sounds like the tutorial should work well enough. I can't watch the video at the moment but I will as soon as I can