Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Well... Nobody else got this game yet...

2. kevin paquet

kevin paquet Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I'm on the fence of getting Horn. Looks like a decent game, has been on my Wishlist on Appshopper for a while.

Is it worth it? I'm not really digging it because it comes from Zynga though. Any thoughts?

3. snozzyboy

snozzyboy Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I wouldn't reccomend it I was all excited but when I get it I was disappointed
    Still that's just me look out for some other opinions

4. kevin paquet

Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks for the quick response.

On the other hand, I'm also considering Modern Combat 4 and Minecraft - Pocket Edition. I think I might fairly enjoy both games, not really picky about game genres... Which should I get first? Or which would you recommend? :D

5. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    Minecraft will have multiplayer online soon,and MC4 had a good campaign and has good multiplayer-but it can tick you off alot I'd recommend MCPE if you'll wanna get used to it before online multiplayer,but it you wanna play a bunch of FPS go MC4-it's good, it is 2 gigs though

6. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Don't think of it as a Zynga game - nothing like their games. It's well done - good graphics, sound, story, and overall gameplay, but I got tired of it about half way through because it's fairly repetitive. You keep going on short excursions (about 30 min depending on how much you search around) to kill big bosses, collect jewels and retrieve an item at the end. And you do, I think, 18 of them - 3 chapters of 6 each. If you love adventure games though, you'll probably like it (I prefer RPG and strategy).

7. The_Joker1721

The_Joker1721 New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey what's up everyone. First post here hope this is as awesome as I heard. So I got some games but im looking for, lack of a better term, core games with some Game Center implementation. Mass Effect infiltrator any good? See it for .99 right now. iPod touch 5th gen. Or just any core games. Thanks a bunch.

8. Midnight

Midnight Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Any good/unique Board/Card games the touch arcade group can inform me of (On iPod 4)?

Ive got the Playdek collection and Ticket to Ride.

9. kevin paquet

Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks! Grabbed MCPE then. :)

Thanks for your opinion. Might get Horn if it ever happens to drop in price. Not gonna pay that price for something repetitive.

10. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Elder Sign is still my favorite board game on iOS.

11. snozzyboy

snozzyboy Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Hey everyone I recently cleaned out my ipad and now the only games I have is the room reckless racing 2 and zombieville 2 as I just got 2 $50 iTunes cards I was wondering what aweosme games there were in the Action, rpg, fps and puzzle market? Also any good multiplayer games I just stopped playing modern combat 3 with a good 150 hours into multi. Thanks

12. Midnight

Midnight Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Ill definitely check it out, though a few of the reviews on iTunes concerns me like the dice roll. What do you think about the luck factor?

13. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Definitely. Some other good ones are Carcassonne, Cabals, Wizard Hex, Magic the Gathering, and Necronomicon. There's Solforge too, but it's only in beta now - you can download it for free, but it's limited play.

14. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Luck is certainly involved, but there is plenty of strategy as well. And you still have some influence over the results of the dice once they're rolled.

15. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    If you were a fan of MC3 then do yourself a favor and smash the buy button on MC4. Some other reccomendations:

Ravensword: Shadowlands
    Splice
    Eufloria HD
    Hundreds
    Joe Danger
    Walking Dead: The Game

16. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Well, I dug my iPad 2 out of mothballs a few days ago, and discovered that I had no idea what games to put on it. So I figured I would start with asking you guys:

What new RPGs should I put on it?

I'm trying out Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan, but I know there are most likely some great RPGs that sing on the iPad.

Some games I have already played (some more than others):

Infinity Blade 1,2
    Final Fantasy 1,2,3,4
    Various Freemium city/farm/town building games
    Various KRPGs
    Ravensword: Shadowlands
    The Bard's Tale
    Stuff by Spacetime Studios (Arcane Legends, Pocket Legends, etc....)
    Bladeslinger
    Dragon Island Blue
    Wraithborne
    Knights of Pen & Paper
    King of Dragon Pass
    Most of Kairosoft's stuff
    Lili
    The World Ends With You
    Bullet Time HD
    Mission Europa
    Rogue Touch
    Sword of Fargoal
    ORC: Vengeance
    Spell Sword
    Brand New Boy
    Elder Sign: Omens
    Waking Mars
    Dragon Keeper
    Dungeon Hunter 1,2,3
    Don't Run With A Plasma Sword
    Aquaria
    Dark Meadow
    A slew of Tower Defense games (Lich Defense to Gem Keeper to the Defender Chronicles series to Fieldrunners 2 and back)
    Anomaly Warzone Earth
    Mage Gauntlet
    Squids
    Tyrian
    Eternity Warriors 1,2
    Eternal Legacy
    Imaginary Range
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Battle for Wesnoth
    Battleheart
    Shadow Era
    Aralon: Sword & Shadow
    Dungeon Defenders
    God of Blades
    The Sandbox
    Dragon Fantasy
    Tunnel Tail

So, my question is this:

What RPGs not on this list should I get, and are they great on iPad?

Some ground rules:

Think twice about KRPG recommendations. I have a hard time finding KRPGs that I can truly enjoy beyond a perverse desire to grind, grind some more, and to top off all the grinding with a grinding cherry on top. If you know a good KRPG that has less grinding than usual, I'll check it out, but I make no promises.

Any genre will do, as long as it has 2 hallmarks of RPGs: customization, and story. The story need not have logic or sense. The customization could be any aspect of the game.

The game must be great, and you need to let me know why IYHO you think it's great. I'll listen, and I won't judge you ^_^

No endless runners. Not for the iPad. Unless you have a recommendation that is iPad-specific and that'll knock my socks off. If it is universal, it'll end up on my iPhone 4S instead.

Be aware that this is from my "Purchased" listing on my iPad. So please, if you suggest an iPhone-only RPG, be aware that I may not take a look at it, at least not at first.

A couple games I won't consider:

Bastion (have it on PC)
    The Walking Dead (will get it for PC)

I'll update this as I hear people's feedback.

Alright TA members, have at it!

17. snozzyboy

snozzyboy Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks crex downloading ravensword shadowlands and mc4 now and I've played through the walking dead (such a awesome game) ill check out joe danger

18. The_Joker1721

The_Joker1721 New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I see you guys listing the games you have so I guess I should do the same. By the way I have been reading the forums. You guys are great.
    Dead Space
    Final Fantasy 1+2
    Infinity blade 1+2
    Shadowgun
    Street Fighter 4
    Walking dead ep1

I've always had a great fondness for ios gaming and now I'm diving in.

19. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    X men aracde game. Yay or Nay?

20. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    If you're into arcade games , this game priced at 0.99 is just pure fun.Definetly worth it's price.