Good first RPG game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iJay, Apr 6, 2011.

1. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I am looking to play an RPG game, just to learn how they work... what would you recommend as a good first one?
    it doesn't have to be particularly long, just quality...

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Mission Europa is a very good first person shooter role playing game with a online multiplayer. Over 100 quests and hours of gameplay. Did I mention it was made by one person?

The forums are exploding for it:D

3. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah, Mission Europa (Collecter's Edition) is amazingly awesome. Higher price for iPhone games, but for all the content you get it's a steal.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #4 backtothis, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Dungeon Hunter 2
    Aralon
    Rimelands
    Zenonia 2
    Inotia 3
    Wild Frontier
    Secret of Mana
    Chaos Rings
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Across Age

My top 10 in no particular order.

Well, this is not including space-based RPGs. Galaxy on Fire 2, Warpgate, and Space Miner are all pretty damn amazing.

For an good introduction into the genre, I'd pick DH2, Zenonia 2, Rimelands.

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    A good up to date(and universal) one to start with would be Inotia 3. It has a great storyline, good rpg elements, a nice equipment system, and a party system that will help out by giving you the option of 3 characters to play with at once for added support and diversity.

Queen's crown is also a good Zelda classic type game with good RPG elements that I have enjoyed throughly to this date. The gem system is complex but fun. This is an all around solid game in general.

Aralon is a good universal 3-d rpg(more for eye candy) but the replayability falls flat.

Chaos Rings is solid but turn-based with random spawns...would recommend after you get more familiar with RPGs.

Zenonia 1, 2, and 3(upcoming) you can never go wrong with. Just highly recommended.

6. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    mission europa is very overrated.. its only getting as much hype as its got because its made by one dev.. i personaly think battleheart is great.. not a straightforward rpg but it has rpg elements

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Rimelands gets my vote.. Such an amazing game, and so horribly underrated. The game mechanics are pretty simple too, so it's good for a starter. Another good one, but not fully RPG is Space Miner.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's where the respect is coming from, I think the hype is coming from the 50+ hours of gameplay. I haven't actually had time to play it all that much but the number is no exaggeration, I spent 90 minutes on the first level alone.

9. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Why not go with the mother of the genre? The final fantasy series? Bit pricy but classic.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Check out rpg-site.org for a list of iOS RPGs. I think Wild Frontier (for action KRPG style, $0.99), Ash (traditional turn based JRPG, $4.99), or Undercroft (first person turn based; free) are good started RPGs but they're generally well regarded and most are cheap.

Mission Europa is a good game but I think it stretches things to call it an RPG (RPG is valid only in the sense there is a high level of character customization). [Please don't let this turn into another is Mission Europa worthy or not threadcrap]

11. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Turn-based- FF2 and 3, Chaos Rings
    Tactical- War of Eustrath
    Action- Zenonia 2

I think Zenonia 2 is good enough for beginner.

12. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Zenonia 2
    Inotia 3 (but highly repetitive and slow gameplay)
    Chaos Rings (3D turn-based)
    Wild Frontier

Mission Europa is not an RPG. It's a first person "shooter" (except that melee weapons are better). It's basically like Hellgate: London for PC except on a much smaller scale. Still retains the grinding-dependent "kill X of monster Y" structure quests.
    Won't go into its negatives since fanboys might get their flamethrowers out but I'll just say it's very, very flawed at this point, but doesn't mean it can't be improved. In fact I think it can be easily improved if they just fix the terrible interface.

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I'd probably go with any Square Enix game.

14. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    #14 Oxynidus, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Hey there iJay. :)

I'm not the best guy to give advice on RPGs, but I have a few thoughts, just to give you ideas.

Infinity Blade is mostly a fighting game, but it does have basic RPG elements that are sufficient for you to understand what it's all about. Space Miner: Ore Bust isn't technically an RPG either, but it also has plenty of RPG elements to boot. Chaos Rings is an excellent RPG game that's not too complicated, though might take a bit of time to get the hang of if you're not familiar with RPGs. I'm also a crazed Final Fantasy fan (though mostly for the storylines), but the currently available ones for iOS are probably too hardcore (FFIII is awesome, but can be frustratingly difficult). These are all superb games, though I'm not sure if any of these is ideal to start with, but there you go. Chaos Rings might be the best choice.

15. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Yes it is... It has skill points, equipment variations, and spells..... I'm not a fanboy I simply like the game, but just because you dislike a certain game doesn't mean someone else might like it:). It has Great interface too! Spells are easily accesed along with movement and looking around! I will point out that the joystick your finger tends to "slip" off it and It does have a lack of tutorial for some parts of the game such as create although there is a tutorial video!

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #16 undeadcow, Apr 7, 2011
    Square Enix is not necessarily generally good because there are lots of their products to avoid like Crystal Defenders, Sliding Heroes, Song Summoner, Voice Fantasy, Vanguard Storn, and Hills & Rivers Remain.

17. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Hills and Rivers Remain actually. and I like it...

18. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    hey Oxynidus...

-----

okay, so I am thinking of getting the original Inotia:
    for one, it's cheap... I am sure the other games are easily worth the money, but I'm not really looking for hours and hours of gameplay, or the latest greatest RPG either... I am just looking for something to learn the genre from.
    and it is old, but that isn't all bad, because I will be playing on an 1G iPod touch... so I know it should run fine. versus some of the other ones, I might buy it and then it won't run well, or at all...

so what do you people think?

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #19 backtothis, Apr 7, 2011
    The original Inotia is the worst RPG on the iOS. There's no exaggeration in that statement whatsoever. I can promise that much. If you're going to check out what the genre is all about, you might as well check out one of the good titles. The AppStore offers quite a good amount of quality RPGs. If you're interested in Inotia, the second and third games are generally viewed as the best KRPGs available. They might be pretty hard for someone new to the genre though. Heck, they're pretty hard even for me even when I own every KRPG there is on the iOS. I'd really suggest checking out Zenonia/Zenonia 2 instead if you're interested in similar gameplay that's more forgiving really, no less excellent.

20. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Amen to that!