Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    "Had some difficulties. If I were to guess on release, it'd be October 6th or 7th, 14th at the latest. Will confirm when we know." - rocketcat's twitter.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sorry Kepa :(

2. Cybertox

Cybertox Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Basketball Player
    Switzerland
    No iPad version, no buy.

3. mcamp

mcamp Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
  4. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Fine then, since you can't handle the amazing epicness that is Mage Gauntlet, you should probably go back to playing with your Barbies.....

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Doing all the enemies in one go would take a long time to balance. We could add in specific-enemy-type arenas, then later do a big varied arena. Haven't thought of rewards for the arenas, or if there even should be any. There's no cash in Mage Gauntlet, you just find loot in chests for the most part.

We probably could add new areas, will see. Arena Mode is first up, though. Will see how popular it is. If it is popular, we'd like to add more arenas and leaderboards for them.

We'll make separate iPad versions for future games, at some point. But not this one. If that's what you meant, I mean: a true separate iPad version rather than universal support.

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Great read, thanks for the posting the link.

@Kepa: I had a couple questions about the game since it's near completion.
    - I noticed in the interview that you said it would take multiple playthroughs to max all of your stats. I'm guessing this implies that we can replay the game over and over. Can we go back and replay specific levels after we've beaten them within a single playthrough?
    - Are there any missables? (basically items and such that can be permanently missed if the player doesn't find them the first time around or whatever)
    - Is there a max level and if so, what is it?

Thanks for being so involved in this thread and I'm looking forward to MG's release.

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's done by world map, you can just select any level you've played and replay it whenever you want. You can just go back into old levels and search for any items you've missed, so there aren't any items that get lost forever if you don't find them the first time through.

Max level is 75. Each levelup gives a stat point (the first gives two), and each stat tops out at 25. It's pretty easy to max out your first stat, but it gets progressively harder to level past that. Maxing out a second stat happens before halfway in the master mode playthrough, and hitting the absolute max level should take awhile.

8. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    do you know exactly how many items in total there are?

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    15 Weapons
    19 Robes
    15 Trinkets
    19 Pets (16 unique, 3 rehues)
    A little over 100 hats (some are similar to each other, but no rehues)

Out of these, 1 weapon, 1 robe, 1 pet, 1 trinket, and 8 hats are IAP.

Generally, instead of the weapons doing more damage than each other, they provide different bonuses. There's an axe that gives you a higher crit rate the closer you are to death, a sword that makes enemies flinch from pain longer than normal, a sword that makes defeated enemies randomly drop extra spells, stuff like that. Trinkets are similar. Pets provide a small bonus depending on the pet, and otherwise just follow you around. Robes generally provide a bonus to a specific spell. Hats are purely cosmetic.

10. JackMule

JackMule Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I know of the fire sword and earthquake staff (if that's what they're called), but I was wondering, did you guys implemented weapons with different abilities? Take Konami's Castlevania Symphony Of The Night for example (if you've played it) - the Rune Sword, Heaven Sword, Crissagrim, Muramasa and other weapons like those made that game much more enjoyable for me.

11. dxfan101010

dxfan101010 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Love the look of this. are these" 1 weapon, 1 robe, 1 pet, 1 trinket, and 8 hats are IAP" all going to be one iap or several iap's

12. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Greatest game ever!!!!!!!!!!

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The inferno sword (fiery explosion) and ancient staff (earthquakes) are the weapons that stand out the most as having "different abilities". Maybe also the End of Hope, which sets your melee crit rate to 0 but has multiple effects from other swords. I've played SOTN, I remember Crissagrim and Muramasa totally breaking the game, and generally not a big focus put on game balance. We wanted to do whips and maybe a punch weapon in Mage Gauntlet, but cut them because we figured we wouldn't have the energy to balance really exotic weapon types. Definite sequel material, though.

7 hats + 1 pet is one single IAP, for 2 bucks, though that's the Rocketcat Fan Pack. You get that pack for free if you get the game in the first couple days.

The weapon, robe, trinket, and hat are all separate items for 99 cents each. The weapon is the inferno sword, the items have a fiery theme. The plan is to do another 4 IAP items of a new theme every time we do a major content update. IAP will be balanced around the loot you can just find in chests, but they'll have fancy elemental cosmetic themes. As an example, the inferno robe gives your dash little fiery trails.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    lol
    http://pocketfulofmb.com/ios/hooked-onto-rpgs-massive-mage-gauntlet-interview/
    [​IMG]

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I only regret not mentioning KRPGs with isometric level design, but no diagonal movement. Repeating that: diagonal hallways, but no diagonal movement, making it awkward to even walk down a hall. I presume they're just mindlessly ripping off that bit from Diablo, without having even the slightest idea what they're doing.

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah those are the worst.

I'm really anticipating this game for next week. :D

17. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Kepa, would you ever consider letting people buy an extra heart via IAP or even the ability to buy EXP? Stuff that will "help out" the weak players and at the same time "strengthen" the strong ones.

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    There's an early trinket that gives you an extra heart.
    The IAP trinket lets you resurrect one extra time compared to normal.

Mathematically they're pretty much the same. 4 hearts x 3 lives or 3 hearts x 4 lives. Using either one prevents you from using another trinket, though. There's also a trinket that removes a heart, so you have 2 max, but multiplies your crit rates by 1.5x. It's possible to equip yourself so you only have 1 heart, but crit 90% of the time.

EXP is gained really fast, you'll pretty much get to level 50 and two stats maxed out from getting halfway through master mode. 50-75 is intentionally a grind, but by then you're really powerful, anyway. Levels don't increase your base damage or anything, either, they just provide the stat points. Due to this, I don't think we'll ever really want to provide some sort of level boost IAP.

19. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll be awaiting this one on the 7th then ;).

Sorry I fell off the tester wagon. Almost going into college now and don't have as much time. Applications aren't that tough, just the essays :(

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Will there be certain hats that are rarer than others?