★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SciFly

10-29-2008, 11:40 PM
SciFly

This looks like it might be pretty awesome. It just came out a few minutes ago I think.
The screenshots looks pretty lame, but the videos on the devs website look pretty nice.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294794565&mt=8

Last edited by NotYou; 10-29-2008 at 11:43 PM.
10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Buying it now. I will shortly post my feelings about it.

Game Center ID: Vaelsh
I'm playing: Small World 2, The Pinball Arcade, Terraria
I'm waiting for: Shadowrun Returns, Micromon, Oceanhorn!

10-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaelsh View Post
Buying it now. I will shortly post my feelings about it.
I'm going to wait until I hear you think. It looks pretty fun, though.
10-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Hard but sweet

Alright. This is the first Star Fox-like game for the iPhone and iPod Touch... and it is awesome! You fly to begin with in the Avenger which is one out of four ships/jets that can be unlocked. Yes I did say unlocked. This is one of the first good games with GOOD unlockables. Anyways, you also start with one world open to you with two others to unlock. The game play goes as follows:

You fly in a third person view, shooting the enemy ships out of the sky before they kill you. It's dogfighting with space ships and jets. Each ship has its own special weapon to use against the enemy fighters. You play rounds or matches (whichever you want to call them), in which your goal is to eliminate all enemy fighters within a period of time, for example, 2 minutes. I have only just survived (aka 'won') my first match. All flight control is done through the accelerometer and small on-screen buttons including boost, shoot, and roll left or right. It will take a little bit of time to get the settings just right so you can find the perfect flying settings, but it is worth it. After each match, even you crash and burn, you get x amount of credits. If you hit a hill or the ground, you explode. But even if it says you failed, you will still get a few credits, like 2 or 3 of them. If you claim victory over the enemy, you get a lot of credits, like 40 credits. It's certainly a fun game with accelerometer sensitivity setup and starting angle setup also. I recommend to all Starfox lovers and the rest of us iPhone gamers alike.

Edit: Whoops, my bad. You just have to kill a certain number of the enemy, not all of them.

Last edited by vaelsh; 10-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
11-02-2008, 08:12 PM
There's an update!
11-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Yep and another on this week with ranking and stuff.

11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Scifly update...

There's a new update for Scifly. I only played it for a minute, but it seems to add a lot. The ships are upgradeable now, which is the most noticeable difference. It seems the AI is a lot tougher too. I don't know if that was intentional, but I'm glad to see it. The graphics are also improved.

There's a Blue Sky update too, but I haven't tried yet.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0

Last edited by NotYou; 11-10-2008 at 06:08 PM.
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info.. looks interesting...
11-10-2008, 07:41 PM
The dev emailed me and told me about this.. he also has something else (SciFly related) coming, but I can't say what.
11-10-2008, 07:47 PM
The update really adds a lot. I like the new target lock-ons, and the weapons have really been juiced up. The Viper is almost like cheating now.

I'm glad I paid the $3 for it before the update, but after this update there really is little reason not to get this game.

It is nice knowing that there are continued updates to the game. I'm looking forward to more ships/locations, but there's this nagging feeling I have that playing a more ambush-style game on a sprawling map (like the ones in Nanosaur) would be heaven.