Is PocketGamer feeling Ok?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lost_Deputy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. antarus

antarus Member

Feb 16, 2012

I agree with you 100%, if your read my post I said that Fester Mudd and TOB are few of the games where retro looks very nice because the artistic vision of those games intented that style.

Also the upcoming Gemini Rue is in this style and is an excellent game, I played it on pc and it´s amazing what they have done with this kind of graphics.

What I don´t like is when this kind of style it´s used for laziness. (Final Fantasy V for example).

I also agree with Simiansquared about the budget being the principal reason for not doing something more flashy, that´s why the AAA titles cost 30$ or more, this kind of productions values need money.

I said before, I will gladly pay 30$ or more for this kind of games on IOS

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Seems to have dropped quite a lot, I'm sure it used to be around 108. iOS is dying!

Re: the comment you made about not being heavily penalized for mistakes that are easily fixed with updates, I always made sure to specifically point those out. If they were crippling to the point I couldn't play the game then I'd probably nudge it down a point, but I'd always make note of how good the game could be if they were fixed. Good guy ex-games reviewer right here.

I did actually miss the part where you mentioned TOB. I'm glad we're on the same page and I can put the knives away :)

Well that's essentially my point. If you're asking me, you just linked to a boring video. I'd rather watch Windows Media Player create some flashy lights to the beat of my music.

3. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Perhaps we could just have one reviewer then let every site copy and paste that? If the only valid opinion is the one that's the same as all the others then there's no real point in multiple sources at all is there?

All this talk of consistency is pointless. Reviews are nothing more than individual pinions from those with experience who can write in a professional manner. They're not supposed to just satisfy the majority. Why are they wrong unless they are all the same?

Whoever played Badlands at Pocket Gamer didn't like it. Regardless of whether you agree with them or not, surely that's more respectable behaviour than the alternative; refusing to publish it because all the other sites said its good?

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    If you read my entire post I was saying exactly that. That it's one persons opinion and that's why I never go by one review and generally no reviews because what I like is what I like. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not going to say that I don't like to see a game I think deserves a good review get one because I like to see devs get good publicity for their work. But in the end every review is just one opinion. Period.

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    #45 Lost_Deputy, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Not what this is about. It's about consistency from the site itself. If PG doesnt like games like Badlands then the qualities they didn't like should be even across the board with THEIR reviews.

They wanna give a game offering a unique experience like Curiosity 9/10 then cool. But to then give Badlands 6/10 and completly disregard the "experience" of it as a variable for scoring is unbalanced.

No one expects or wants sites to get in line with popularism. Yet if they are going a rate a game then at least to it in as fair a way as possible with a system that promotes consisancy(again that's consistency within their team). A persons opinion is what any gamer has. A SITE's opinion and SCORE is held up as something that has more weight.

The back patting over the fact that we don't use scores or reviews to influence our purchases isn't necessary. The fact is scores matter to alot of gamers which in turn matters to devs.

If PG don't want be involved with reviewing in a broader framework then change their review system and pull the Metacritic icon from their front page. They will be awesome still and their unique voices on games can remain as varied and interesting as desired

6. Supagoat

Supagoat Member

Apr 9, 2013
    #46 Supagoat, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    I realize it fully. My issue with iOS ratings is that they seem to be on a different scale than I want them to be. I want them to rate games based on how good they are as games, but they get rated on this scale of how good something is to play if you're waiting at the doctor's office with nothing better to do for 15 minutes.

There's a place in the world for that type of game, but a 5 star game should be a fantastic game that I legitimately want to play, and seek out to play in my spare time when I could be playing something else.

7. demarchy

demarchy Member

Mar 28, 2013
    People put way too much stock in numbers when it comes to reviews. I don't know how it all started but anything less than 8 out of 10 or 4 out of 5 is bad according to most people. We might aswell just swap to a 2 point rating system. 1 is bad and 2 is good. That should clear things up.

8. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    #48 Athos, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    I just skimmed this thread sorry if this has already come up but wanted to say that that guy gets paid to do write The Curiosity Cube Diaries:

Part One
    Part Two

I want to knock him but really more power to him collecting a paycheck for that.

Those are just two of seventeen-ish posts about Curiosity on that site, a game that "deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible."

Like SimianSquared said, 57 games come out a day, Pocket Gamer has space for seventeen separate posts about one of them pretty interesting.

PS I think the guy might be in on the joke a la Tim Rogers.
    Take a look at this. I think over there they call this "taking the piss"

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    As someone else said, you learn to gauge reviewers that have similar or disimilar tastes to yourself. It'd be boring if we all felt the same.

10. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Not talking about us. We're talking about the stacks of people that go off scores:)

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #51 september, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    Ah, I see. Oh well, at least Badlands was able to pull a positive quote from PG for their store description.

Edit: And yeah I know that doesn't really solve the ratings issue, just avoiding scores thing altogether :)

12. Supagoat

Supagoat Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I completely agree - I've been very tempted over the years to start a site that does reviews like this. When I first thought of it I wanted to call it worthplaying.com but that site already exists.

My life is full of stuff and there are a ton of great games out there. So many, in fact, that the only ones worth playing are the truly great ones. I don't have time for anything less.