Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelosis View Post
Hence the "in general" I put before the only words you read in my post.
It largely applies to nonames, small guys. Bigger companies would be less tempted to take such risks, for obvious reasons, and even if some of them were, they could not be cycling accounts because they're managing a brand.

I beg you pardon? All there is to read about your app on TA gives no indication that it was a test for the ranking at all, and considering the "quality" of the product, who the hell would ever want to click on the link to the page where you can try or download the game (?). A page which might have been written much later anyway?
Yes, I think it looks repulsive (at least 2048 looks like a real game), and secondly, no, you didn't have to release this non-finished thing to prove a point (retroactively?), since any look at some random Flappy Bird clone that hasn't gone up the charts would have been enough to know that.

However, you might be happy, it seems there's been a new batch of Asian FB clones during the last couple weeks. Clearly, Apple and Google have no intention to prevent clone apps with Flappy in their title from being allowed.
And yes, you can ignore Mr. Ugly, his contributions have been absolutely useless and offensive from the beginning.
Well I guess it your turn to take over for the role of offensive. Not sure what entitled you to call my work crap...shit..or anything like that. First of all this discussion was not about anything other than the title. Obviously though a serious conversation can't be had. Between trolling from some and now insults from you. We really made progress. Great. That was my intention. Your opinion strictly yours. You think 2048 looks good but my game looks like crap. Ok. Yea you're obviously the expert. Funny because everyone I show 2048 says it looks dumb and my test audience for bl tap and flap said it's cute. They love lucky. Would love to see your work so I can also take a giant dump on it for no reason. But you also don't have any sigs.

Either way that would be childish to shit on you. I won't go there. I will say one thing though. I'm done with this discussion since it's obviously counter productive at this point. I would say a few more things to you but this is a family forum. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelosis View Post
The entire ranking system appears to be deeply screwed and gamed today. It is nigh absolutely irrelevant for true genuine advice, pegged down to a race for the best spots to rack in as many $$$ as possible, and has thus become a profitable source for shady businesses that keep blossoming, offering more and more cheap opportunities to champion your product up the ranks. With so much proliferation of these activities, considering that so few companies ever get banned by either Apple or Google, you've got some evidence that those methods are widely used and relatively safe ontop of that. Sad, isn't it?

These days it's supposed to be totally normal that a rather obscure game can get like half a million reviews under a month, the vast majority of them overly positive (Smash Hit is a good example of that on Google Play).
I'd go as far as say that getting to the topmost positions (say 250 firsts) on the merits of your app uniquely is pretty much wishful thinking. Your choice is between white marketing (which we already knew) or black marketing (which is gaining weight at an alarming rate).

Anyway, e-portals are only fair during the first two years in general. Beyond that indies can't fight much without craving exposure at any cost.

On a sidenote, I think even excessive white marketing is frowned upon, theoretically, unless you're a very, very big publisher (EA for example).
I actually quite enjoyed smash hit....
Old 04-18-2014, 02:25 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Ok some real data about fake reviews, check out: "Don't Tap The White Tile" ratings section in App Annie: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/848160327/ratings/

Now look at the USA rating compared to say the UK ratings. These are two fairly similar countries in terms of app store games, often their charts are pretty similar, so you should expect them to have pretty close number of ratings when normalized for population.
So UK population is 63 million, and USA population is 313 million, so you would expect the USA to have about 5 times the ratings as the UK. The UK has 28 ratings, so the USA should have 140 ratings. But as you can see the USA actually has 8266 ratings, I don't think this kind of difference can be put down anything other than fake ratings.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
Ok some real data about fake reviews, check out: "Don't Tap The White Tile" ratings section in App Annie: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/848160327/ratings/

Now look at the USA rating compared to say the UK ratings. These are two fairly similar countries in terms of app store games, often their charts are pretty similar, so you should expect them to have pretty close number of ratings when normalized for population.
So UK population is 63 million, and USA population is 313 million, so you would expect the USA to have about 5 times the ratings as the UK. The UK has 28 ratings, so the USA should have 140 ratings. But as you can see the USA actually has 8266 ratings, I don't think this kind of difference can be put down anything other than fake ratings.
You need to compare the number of downloads to make a fair judgement because obviously different markets can do better. My apps for example always do better in Australia since I have live here and have a built in marketing network of friends to post about my releases.

That isn't to say there isn't a blackmarket for ratings because there clearly is.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:09 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyJoe View Post
So UK population is 63 million, and USA population is 313 million, so you would expect the USA to have about 5 times the ratings as the UK.
It doesn't work that way, in my experience. The US app store gets way more action than the UK app store, beyond the population size. I think there's a cultural difference, perhaps.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorkbot View Post
It doesn't work that way, in my experience. The US app store gets way more action than the UK app store, beyond the population size. I think there's a cultural difference, perhaps.
There is probably a difference in market share that apple has as well. You assume the market is the same in every country when that isn't even close to true.