Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM

I love minimalistic and difficult
This one is too difficult

The player must be rewarded so they wish to continue

Can't beat the first level
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM

I'm not sure where the dev is going with the "you suck" mentality behind this game.

Difficult games usually rely on a small reward-feedback loop as the player does slighlty better each time. If you negate this by telling them they are a failure everytime they try, this pretty much destroys the ability for the player to feel rewarded and thus enjoy the game.

Also, difficult games really have to make sure they feel "fair" to draw players back in. I've know many gameplay designers that mistake making a game harder as the same as making it more challenging. Gaming history is ltttered with games that are hard for the wrong reasons (eg. Bad controls, cheap deaths, uneven difficulty curves, bad level design, etc.,etc.)

Looking at games like super hexagon and super Meatboy...very punishing games, but they feel so incredibly tight control and design wise, they draw the player into their challenge. Also, there is the constant reward feedback-loop. In Super hexagon, if you add a couple of extra seconds onto your last time you feel like a champ! Super Meatboy rewards you with spectacular grisly deaths as you edge closer and closer to passing the level.

I actually enjoyed Space Is Key for a while (the game 'you will fail' has more than a passing resemblance to), because the challenges built slowly, the controls were tight, and I loved getting the unique, encouraging feedback messages after I made even the slightest progress in that game. Unfortunately it became one-note and repetitious over a short time, and the charm quickly faded.

I haven't tried YOU WILL FAIL because, honestly, it's name and motif seem mean-spirited. The derivitave nature of the game doesn't do much to help, in addition to player feedback already stating it's simply too hard.

It seems to me the dev really wants to make a challenging game with a edgy attitude, but hopefully the above rant will illuminate why this approach isn't really creating the result they are going for.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM

This doesn't really seem to be a game. I tried jumping over the first few obstacles and the collision is completely wrong.. my player/box should have easily cleared the obstacles.

Maybe it's some kind of social experiment... since it's free and there are no IAPs or ads, hence no way to monetize it. Almost everything in this app is designed to make the player feel bad, it's so weird.

Even the options menu insults you, calling you a 'wuss' if you want to mute the sound(?) BIZARRE
Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhornburg View Post
This doesn't really seem to be a game. I tried jumping over the first few obstacles and the collision is completely wrong.. my player/box should have easily cleared the obstacles.

Maybe it's some kind of social experiment... since it's free and there are no IAPs or ads, hence no way to monetize it. Almost everything in this app is designed to make the player feel bad, it's so weird.

Even the options menu insults you, calling you a 'wuss' if you want to mute the sound(?) BIZARRE
Hmm.. That makes me wonder.. Im curious if anyone has ever sued an app creator before for like, causing depression/mental anguish or something.
Wouldn't surprise me with all the sue happy people around.. Just an interesting thought.
In 10 years time we will be so wrapped in bubble wrap from these types of people, there will be disclaimers on everything.
"Do not play if you have feelings of suicide or low self esteem".
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armelline View Post
This is in very much the same vein but I believe it's different enough for anyone who's a fan of that to enjoy it if they download it!
These guys are a bit harsh.. I left good feed back in the App Store. My wife and I are competitive and this game is a fun competition! I think it would be cool to have a level select menu (you just couldn't select levels you haven't played until you complete the previous level) that would display how many fails you have for each level and give your running total at the top. I like the game! Great job!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timyant View Post
These guys are a bit harsh.. I left good feed back in the App Store. My wife and I are competitive and this game is a fun competition! I think it would be cool to have a level select menu (you just couldn't select levels you haven't played until you complete the previous level) that would display how many fails you have for each level and give your running total at the top. I like the game! Great job!
You completed level 1?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 AM

I'm one of those people who aren't very good at games (even though I'm addicted to them), hence I am used to failing. Luckily my self-deprecating sense of humor allows me to benefit from this. Anyway, I like this sort of game so I decided to give it a shot. And I like it. It's hard but I'm pretty impressed with myself for making it to level 6 so far. As for the insults (which I think is too harsh a word), it reminds me of "Bitless," which I still play and fail at all the time. So far the controls seem fine. I think if you like difficult games like the ones mentioned in this thread, you might want to give this one a try.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Kat View Post
You completed level 1?
I know you weren't speaking to me Lazer Kat, but I just had to say I can't believe that I made it to level 6 right after downloading it. Maybe it's all the practice I've had with other "Impossible" games. But if I can do it I'm betting you can do it, too.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witedahlia View Post
I know you weren't speaking to me Lazer Kat, but I just had to say I can't believe that I made it to level 6 right after downloading it. Maybe it's all the practice I've had with other "Impossible" games. But if I can do it I'm betting you can do it, too.
I just have no desire to.
It didn't feel like it was worth playing to me, especially in a week where there was a really good "impossible" game released. If I really have a desire to do some impossible style iGaming, then Platforms Unlimited is in my "new games" folder (and there's at least 5 other impossible style games That are much better in my "platformers" folder).

Last edited by Lazer Kat; 02-08-2014 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

I can't remember who said it but it's not true that there are no ads, a full page advert appears after every five rounds. I've just got to level 12 with 201 deaths.