best N.Y. Zombies equipment combinations

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sqrudy, May 16, 2010.

1. Sqrudy

Sqrudy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    #1 Sqrudy, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
    What are the best combinations of equipment that help you get farther?

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

My typical load out is pistol (once you get it fully upgraded to Desert Eagle, you can 1 shot zombies with head shots :D), shotgun, rifle, rail gun, flash bangs, and brainbomb. I use the flashbangs to basically buy me time to reload my big weapons.

I am definitely curious to see what other people use.... especially the guys in Endless mode with a 40 minute + time :eek:

3. Sqrudy

Sqrudy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks!
    I am curious about those guys too. That seems just impossible to me.

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm a massive fan of the sniper for some reason, and use it on bassically all levels, even on close combat. Then of course my trusty shotgun or M16 for really close combat or when the sniper is reloading. Then I normally have a mine/molotov to cover certain areas. Brain bomb, depending on the level.

Of course i would trade in the molotov or mine for a flare in certain levels.

I can't say i'm amazing at the game, but it gets me through.

5. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Well, the good part is you have a lot of flexibility with what you want to carry... Its more about finding the right balance of weapons (things that can take care of lots of zombies AND heavy hitting weapons to take care of giants and blubber zombies), and then using them correctly.

I know one of our beta testers who got a mid 30 minute Endless time loved proximity mines, and I've seen people stock up on mines, grenades AND flashbangs and then get the Grenade Pack (increases ammo for all grenades).

If I were going to say whats EASIEST to use, I would stick with pistol, get uzi, grenades, rail gun, and then any other 2 abilities or weapons after that: perhaps some of the more expensive ones like m16 or mini gun.

@madmud -- what is your highest Endless time so far?

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I just upgraded my pistol to a Desert Eagle, and that's always a must-have weapon for me. Nice rate of fire, decent damage (especially when upgraded), and a good reload time. Great for eliminating small groups or thinning crowds.

Gotta have my shotgun. It's just not a zombie game unless you have a shotgun in it. Plus, it does a ton of damage up close, is great for taking out small groups/thinning groups in a couple of shots, and can really be a lifesaver when they start to close in. Plus, it's fun to shoot the runners right as they're about to hit you.

The Uzi is a great gun as well. It mows down smaller crowds no prob, and upgraded I'm sure would have the same effect on larger crowds. Great for a good 'Spray and Pray' sort of gameplay style, good for levels like Central Park. Plus, you can just unload an entire clip onto a stronger enemy to weaken it, then finish it off with another gun. Then again, once you get the Minigun, this thing just becomes useless.

The Rail Gun is a must for me. C'mon, it's a Barett .50 Cal! I love how it just clears out an entire line of zombies in one shot, and does a TON of damage to stonger enemies. I keep this for the giant zombies, so I can get a good shot in on them with this gun, then finish them off with an upgraded pistol, shotgun, or uzi.

The Assault Rifle is a must in the later levels. Back in the beta, before difficulty adjustments, this was the only thing which got me through the Rooftops level, which was ridiculously hard back then. It was almost unbeatable until I went back, got the money, and bought this gun. The 3 round burst fire takes out almost anything in one or two shots, and does a lot of damage on the rest.

I also like to keep Proximity Mines on me during certain levels, especially ones like the Hallway level, where you know exactly where your enemies are coming from. Either fill one side full of mines and focus on the other, or line both sides with mines, thinning out the hordes while letting you focus on killing both sides. It's also great in the 12th Avenue level, since you can thin out the running horde with them.

If I can, I also like to try to keep a Chainsaw on hand. It really saves you when you have a ton of zombies about to attack, and your guns are reloading. Plus, it's just fun.

Btw, do all guns change to a new gun when upgraded (Knife->Machete, Pistol->Desert Eagle), or is it just a couple of them?

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

They don't all change models, but most of them get "easter egg" bonuses when fully upgraded.

Desert Eagle is able to push back regular zombies.
    Shotgun gains a larger spread.
    M16 enables full auto.
    Uzi gets a "double clip" giving it tons more ammo.
    Rifle gains additional zoom AND extra damage when zoomed in.

Hmmm, I think that's most of them off the top of my head.

Also want to point out that getting the passive upgrades can be a HUGE factor in doing well in Endless mode. Health upgrades and armor upgrades are crucial. The new Rage ability allows you to deal more damage the higher your current hit streak is, rewarding those who are careful about their shots. The new Sniper ability allows ALL weapons to zoom and do more damage. I think a fully upgraded Rail Gun with Sniper ability can one shot a giant :eek:

Finally, if you're playing Endless... make sure to get Medpack! Probably the most necessary piece of equipment for this mode.

8. Sqrudy

Sqrudy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks everyone! This helped me out a lot.

@Foursaken_Media, thanks for all your support with this game. Most devs just leave after it is released and you never hear from them again. I really appreciate you sticking around.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Just remember one thing: This game is a lot of trial and error. You may not know what you're facing the first time you enter a level, but once you start it, you may find that the new item you bought is useless due to what you're fighting, or the terrain. That's why I love how you get a refund whenever you die: it lets you realize why your loadout didn't work, then go back and correct for it.

And thanks Foursaken. I'm definetly going to upgrade the M16 now... and I thought it did a lot of damage on burst fire... Is there anything special for the Rail Gun, or is it the same as the Sniper Rifle?

10. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Glad to see your enjoying your gifted apps, Sqrudy. ;)

11. Sqrudy

Sqrudy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Haha. Yes, I think I made a good choice. ;)

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Well, while it does require some trial and error to find the OPTIMAL setups, its really more about getting a good set of equipment that works well together, rather then picking weapons specifically for certain levels -- I mean, its not like picking grenades will suddenly be worthless on one level and be amazing the next, but you are right in that they might not be the better in some levels and worse in others.

For example, you want to make sure to pack some power weapons to deal with big enemies, weapons to handle lots of regular zombies, etc... Other then that, its knowing HOW to use the weapons you have, just as much as it is picking the right equipment.

And no, there is nothing special with the Rail Gun's final upgrade. Though, a Heavy Ammo pack gives it 2 rounds instead of one... making it a pretty nasty ;)

@ Sqrudy -- Looking forward to a good Endless time now :p

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Having 2 rounds in a gun never sounded so awesome... I completely forgot about that perk. It always seems like my rail gun is reloading when I need it, so that might be something to buy. I need to start looking past the weapons section, and checking out the perks/items.

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #14 eev, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    tried many times but can not pass dog wave in endless mode, are there some specific combinations of equipment and perks? the problem is that previous waves are very easy but then these dogs are so evil. :D

edit: ok, upgrading both mines and grenades with purchased grenade ammo pack made that level with dogs more or less easy, but next level there are monsters which can take several grenades and mines, so no chance.

15. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

The mines and grenades are a good idea,, but that might be going TOO overboard with explosives. You should make sure to have either the rifle or rail gun packed to deal with larger enemies (zoomed rifle and rail gun own the big dogs, as well as larger enemies) -- don't forget to zoom in with these weapons as they do significantly more damage when zoomed! Also, the new Riot Gun is an excellent way to keep larger enemies at bay (including the big dogs), but it definitely takes a lot more micromanagement to quickly be switching back and forth between Riot Gun and everything else.

Also, I can't stress enough how flash bangs or seismic charge can make ALL the difference and are great support weapons. Well placed flashbangs can keep the big boys stunned for very long periods of time while you mop up other parts of the map.

16. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I think it'd be really cool if like endless modes were recorded and you could download them or watch them online so you could see how the pros do it, and what load outs they use. Or if you could go online and it gave you the stats of the endless pros, like what load out they used, what upgrades they have.

17. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#17 Foursaken_Media, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    Hmmm, thats kind of a sweet idea. An online database with more refined statistics of those on the ladder. Iiiiinereresting ;)

18. Doomedo

Doomedo Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    lol well i was lurking on this thread because I wanted to see everyone's opinion before posting.

Basically My sniper is my most important gun because when zoomed, it does incredible damage mixed with rage. It oneshots regular zombies off the bat, and is a beast weapon overall.

Shotgun is also really important. It kills almost every enemy thats closeby in one shot.

I used to use railgun, but since i noticed that it was hard to find a time when zombies were lined up perfectly to shoot so i don't use it now. Instead I use Desert Eagle since it has really fast firing, and kills fast with a lot of ammo.

I'll either use a mine or grenade for my next spot. (probably mines) Because I can take out huge zombies by spamming nades at them. And the mines cover my back.

Next it's my optional spot. I'll either use M16/other exposive.

Then next it's either medpack or flare.

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yeah I think that sounds like a pretty solid line-up :D

Have you tried Endless mode yet -- What is your best time?

20. Doomedo

Doomedo Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    xP. Haven't tried it. Also on the Oak Street Avenue stage on story mode, it gets REALLY laggy, and out of 4 times i've only beaten it once because it usually ends up crashing on me because of the mass of zombies that come out of random garages xP.

I'll try it soon though