Universal Highway Runners (by Florian Bronnimann)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Phoebius, Dec 14, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #41 LordShad0wz, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Devs,

Just playing for a few minutes I am loving the shit out of this game! Awesome job! Thank you for adding the touch controls! They work perfectly and are a lot of fun to use! The game is a lot of fun! I used to play Outrun in the arcades and this game is a great homage to it and gets the feel of it. I like the different aspects as well collecting the coins to unlock different modes and difficulty levels. I already almost have enough coins to unlock easy mode.

I do have one question. For the high score board. How do we change our name? It's not using my Gamecenter name. It is defaulting to Player A. I've looked in settings and I see no where I can change the name. Can you please add this if this was overlooked?

To everyone else. If you haven't purchased this game I'm telling you now it's more than worth it's price. It's a damn fun game! It's a purely premium experience. Go get it!

Billy

2. Dimaya

Dimaya Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Are there any plans for a Universal update? I only have an iPad Pro, and I would love to play this game.

3. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet....these graphics, set specifically to recreate a Sega Genesis, or SNES, or even the classic 80's arcade game (that has been mentioned).....absolutely phenomenal job. Honestly....I played the hell out of this before the update and once, only once, played Final Freeway 2 as a way to compare and when I came back to this game, I was just blown away. The scaling is done so well, the UI, everything just rocks that classic 16-bit aesthetic....honestly, a phenomenal job....can't say it enough. And adding the touch control setup (although the tilt is very, very well done), I hope you rock it on the app store. This game is truly worthy of all the praise....and hey, LoS backed it up, so......####

4. Phoebius

Phoebius Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Biomedical Engineer
    France - Besançon
    Thank you, it really means a lot!
    I tried really hard to study different art styles and aesthetics (UI, in game sprites, logos...), especially from arcade games. The goal was to get close to Outrunners while keeping my own style. ^^
    I'm not an expert in pixel art, so I'm glad you guys like the look of the game!

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I haven't played this game yet but read through the comments enough to know that this game is going to be great.
    They added touch controls so I'm going to buy.
    You have enough following in this thread that if you continued to make changes their are enough people here to buy your game and make a second one successful

6. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    The Touch Control is really Great. I am playing on IPad. Everything is looking to Blocky at the big screen. I am hoping for a IPad version soon. But looks great at the Iphone now.

7. Black Square

Black Square Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Outstanding clone of OutRun, the best available for the iOS.

Graphics are retro all the way. I was a teenager when OutRun hit the arcades and always loved it.

A few comments:

The road in OutRun and OutRunners (for example) has a lot of nasty twists and is very difficult by itself. It also had hills.
    My complaint would be that (at least as far as I played it up to now) is that the traffic makes this game difficult, but not the road itself.
    It would be great if that difficulty factor would be added. (Horizon Chase has a lot of difficult tracks as well). Now it's more like going
    straight forward on a flat highway and avoid traffic.

I miss a map! I have no overview where I am going to, this I liked a lot about OutRun as well, a map.

Perhaps some more variations in cars, like a taxi and a police cap!

Great job, super!

8. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Hey Black Square, by the 3rd stage, you start getting that difficulty you're talking about. There are obstacles in the road to contend with and super tight turns with a lot to negotiate. I still can't get past the 3rd stage.

9. Black Square

Black Square Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Thanks, good to know!

10. Black Square

Black Square Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I have an additional comment for the developers about the graphics to make things even better.

When the car crashes the driver and the blond girl kind of fly out of the car in a weird way, and right after that you see them sitting in the car again with the car hood open and smoke. So first they fly out to re-appear by magic in the crashed car. Wouldn't it be better to let the drivers stay in their seat while the cars rotates/crashes instead of let them fly out? (Or else, like in OutRun, where they sit next to the car after the crash?)

I still think the road could use more twists and turns (and ups/downs/hills) in the first stage(s) like in OutRun. That will make the whole experience more dynamic. Also the traffic is a bit static in their movement, they all go in a straight line, not moving over the road with unpredictable behaviour to make things even harder. Horizon Chase and Freeway2R has this kind of traffic behaviour from the start, and this gives more inter-action with everything that approaches you than just trying to get around the traffic.

Will play more, and again, great job!

11. Black Square

Black Square Member

Mar 18, 2015
    When it's GAME OVER, you get a 5 seconds countdown and the question to 'continue'. This makes sense if you have collected a coin, but if you did not then you can't continue, so then showing the countdown and the 'continue' message is pointless, it should just say 'game over'. When you collect a coin then the countdown menu should appear when it's game over.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Now Universal!

You probably know this but just in case: you can tap the screen to speed up that countdown.

13. Black Square

Black Square Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes;)

Just updated to the latest version, what's up with the left/right icons for touch controls? I prefer without, or a least an option to switch them off.. I don't see the point of this.:confused:

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    My guess would be that people just weren't aware how to use the touch controls, so they added these as visual feedback. I agree though that there should at least be the option to turn it off, though personally they don't bother me.

15. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Woot! I finally bought it now that it's universal and I'm having a blast!

Controls and drift mechanics work great, and I really love playing without the time pressure.

I just wish it was a little higher resolution, it kinda hurts my eyes trying to spot coins and cars at a distance.

Overall, it's an awesome homage to Out Run with some nice contemporary touches, like the coins and the graze bonus. I really hope the game does well on the App Store, so the dev can add more content in the future!

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Just wanted to stop in and say Thank You to the devs for making this universal. This is now my favorite OutRun type racer, great job.:)

17. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

hey Brunni, thanks for the update, but i can't play it anymore on my old 4S, the screen is messed up now, i guess there's a scaling issue... can you fix it?

18. Black Square

Black Square Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I wrote a review in the app-store to support this game, I hope more reviews will follow. :)

19. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Great fun!!!

I agree with a few others who wrote the graphics may be over-pixelated. I just watched a YouTube video of Outrun and Outrun feels faster and, while not sharp by any means, does not appear as pixelated. One thing I enjoyed with Outrun was the environments. I find I'm just having to focus my attention on what's a car, what are coins, and which way the road goes with this game.

I don't know what it would take to offer cleaner graphics, but please consider it. And I'm not asking for Final Freeway clean, just less pixelated.

Great game and my fav Outrun-alike!

20. Phoebius

Phoebius Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Biomedical Engineer
    France - Besançon
    Hey everyone,

Thanks again for your feedback. We're trying our best to keep the updates coming and listen every suggestions you're making. Right now, the priority is fixing the bugs/issues you may encounter, and also working on the leaderboard (possibility to add your own name, maybe a link to the Gamecenter, and also to be able to keep your save on the cloud)

I'm really glad you're enjoying for the most part our game and the touch controls updates. I'm really afraid it may have made the game a little too easy now, as we really ajusted the difficulty for tilt controls at the time of the launch. We may fix that later, by sharpening the road turns a little. Also, you can purchase the "Rush hour pendant" which increases the road traffic.

Some important informations :

- For the iPhone users : You may encounter a new graphical glitch due to the iPad update. The rearview mirror is misplaced on the screen, but Florian (Brunni) will try to fix this issue as soon as possible :/

- For the iPad users : You also may have a problem with screen resolution and/or touch screen detection. It is due to the fact that you updated an iphone game to an ipad one. The solution is to delete and to reinstall the app. I'm really sorry as you will lost your progress during the process :/

And also, a last detail :
    You may have seen on our Facebook page, Brunni developped our own editing tool to design the levels, roads, and all.

It's kinda buggy now, and not intended for public release, but... Maybe (I say maybe) one day if we have the time, we'll be able to fix/release it, to design and use your own custom tracks in a future update of the game...

Attached Files: