How to play Doom 2 in Doom Classic

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I was playing around with some of the app files before and I found this.

Ok, so find where the app folder for Doom Classic is. It should be located in var->mobile->Applications->(random letters and numbers)->Doom.app. Once you find that, go into the base folder. You should find a few files, one of which should be "doom.wad". Find your Doom 2 WAD file. Now click and drag that into your base folder. Make sure you rename the file to doom2.wad (no caps), or else the app will most likely crash when starting it up.

NOTE: This temporarily replaces your Doom 1 levels. So when you click on E1M1: Hangar in the New Game menu, it will start up Doom 2's E1M1. When you want to play the Doom 1 levels, simply remove the doom2.wad file from the base folder.

2. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Interesting, does this require jailbreaking to do?

3. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yes, it does, as you need to SSH into the device in order to access the app folder.

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  5. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Woa, goldeneye 007, that was one of my favorite games of all time for the n64!

6. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Nice... I'm gonna go try to get more WAD files to work with this now and get back to you guys on how it goes.

And I didn't see any threads on this topic, so I figured no one had posted one yet.

7. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    there some cool .wad files out there pretty cool if they would all work. heh.

chris.

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, and I have a TON on my laptop. I'll give some of my favorites a quick try and see how it goes. I gotta re-download the app first, since when I replaced the Doom 1 wad file, I must have gotten one that doesn't work with the app, and it kept crashing.

So I'll check out some of my favorite WAD's and let you guys know how it went.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh yeah, I didn't mean that in a "you shouldn't have made this thread" way, rather a "hey check this out" way. Good luck with your experiments. :)

10. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Oh yeah, I wasn't taking it that way.

And as for my experimentation... not too well. I may be doing this wrong, but every time I go to run it with the original doom.wad I got from the app and the mod named doom2.wad, it opens to the splash screen, plays a second of music, and crashes to springboard. I'm trying it with Goldeneye right now just to make sure I'm doing it right.