Rocket ROBO- a skill based 2.5D cave-flyer puzzle game with depth interaction

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BadKrakenGames, Jan 29, 2014.

1. BadKrakenGames

Jan 29, 2014
    Lead Environment artist by day, indie developer by
    Cambridge, UK
    I’m going to be launching my new game ‘Rocket ROBO’ for iPad and iPhone on the 30th of January 2014 with Android to follow shortly after. One of its unique features is being able to move between foreground and background gameplay planes by sliding your finger up and down.

Here’s a video showing it in action:

I have a web-site showing some stills from the game: BadKraken

The initial development of the game was heavily inspired by Superior Software’s ‘Thrust’ on the BBC Micro back in 1986. I loved the simplicity of the mechanics in the game but that it required a high level of skill to control and play well; once I had gotten the hang of it there was a lovely flow and feel to the gameplay. For my first game I wanted to see if I could emulate that feeling of satisfaction when mastering the control of your on-screen avatar.

There are no on screen buttons to play Rocket ROBO, simply using tilt and swipe interaction you can guide Rocket ROBO around 3 worlds; Material World, Space Station and Sugar Cube; across 57 levels in an attempt to retrieve the lost stars, find out why they were stolen and restore power to the lighthouse where Rocket ROBO was created.

This is the first game I've ever released on my own. If you do get to play the game I'd really love to hear from you and get your thoughts or if you have any comments on my video also I'd love to know what you think.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look,

Best regards,
    Aaron McElligott
    Bad Kraken Games

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Hi Aaron, Eli streamed your game on twitch and pretty much everyone likes it! They did feel like some things could have been added to make it a truly amazing game. Some said customization options (a la little big planet) and some high scoring element like a timer. I myself think it's an amazing game with a lot of charm and some room to be even better. :)

3. BadKrakenGames

Jan 29, 2014
    Lead Environment artist by day, indie developer by
    Cambridge, UK
    #3 BadKrakenGames, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Hi Echoen,

That's a shame I missed it but many thanks for the update - really good to hear. If people fancy the idea of a timer then I'll certainly try and drop one in.

And thanks a lot for your comments - stuff like that makes all the effort worth it :)

Thanks again,
    Aaron