Universal Virtua Tennis Challenge (By Sega)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evilkarma

Evilkarma Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Game pad control is the way to go.

As far as punishing drop shots go, the only thing would be to return with a slice to the baseline and get back into position. Or if you're ballsy you could actually lob it, run back, and slice return.

2. starfly3r

starfly3r Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Anyone notice that the AI never hit the ball OUT or into the net??

3. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Yes, I hate the AI so much. The difficult opponents always know where to move, no matter how hard I hit. Not realistic. Maybe I'm not good at this game.

4. Evilkarma

Evilkarma Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    I've seen my opponent hit the net ONCE, but it tipped over and I lost the point lol

5. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    dang TA hammered this game. looks like a definite pass until a price drop or update(s)

6. Funny 2 posts. Hilarious. I loved this game in the arcade years back, and really want a game like that on my new ipad. But since the reviews seem mixed on this one, I'll try to catch it on sale later.

Sports games so far havent seemed to port all too well to ios devices yet. It seems like FPS, driving, puzzle, and most action games seem to fair well. But sports and 2d platformers may not translate as well because of a lack of joypads with lots of buttons.

This looks like a great game though, I hope they come out with an update soon.

How does the game look on the new ipad?

7. mattcbond

mattcbond Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Despite the mixed reviews I downloaded it and am really enjoying it so far. I'm playing on an iPad 2 and haven't had disastrous frame-rate issues. Make sure you change the default button scheme and there's a lot of fun to be had

8. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I would just like to add my mini-review from my comment on the TA review (2.5 stars):
    "This review is a little harsh although I agree with most of it. (although licensing is costly and I could do without it).
    My rating (3.5/5) For an iOS tennis quick-fix game... The game is fine. Great graphics, controls (the gamepad), and animations are great for an iOS game making it te best tennis game in the app store. The inability to save or customize your character, minor bugs, framerate issues, and lack of some of he modes from the console hold this game down.

... If all bugs are fixed - 4 stars. TA gives 4 stars all the time ... I think 2.5 is a little harsh for what the reviewer calls the best tennis game in the AppStore."

Also the difficulty is not bad... once you get the hang of an easier control scheme (such as gamepad)... even on "super hard" the game gets very easy.

9. Wingy

Wingy Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I have been playing this game on the new ipad. It's mostly smooth 90% of the time with the ocasional framerate drop.
    The only thing I don't like is the SPT main tour mode. I am not sure how it works. You can complete the 3 levels and you can't move on...if you try too it shows a date and they can't be selected. Meaning you have to replay the levels again until it lets you move on.

10. Ilya

Ilya New Member

May 29, 2012
    QA ingener
    UIG
    We had to wait a decade to the owl's favorite tennis you can Property in the pocket :)

11. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    :confused:

12. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    #132 ikemike, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
    Does the most recent update solve the frame-rate issue?

...I doubt it. But I really wish it did.

13. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Yes, I would also like to know if the update fixes any of the issues.

14. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    I played some after updating but can't really say if anything is different. Maybe less slowdowns. Hard to tell.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hate to say it, but this still runs like crap on iPhone 4. :/

16. Blizzard500

Blizzard500 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I'm playing on a 4S and running into no framerate issues. I'm number 1 on the rankings now. What's next?

17. splendidham

splendidham Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Love this game but damn, there is some pretty clear cheating going on with the AI. Maybe I'm just frustrated. But was up 4-0, 3-0 in the second set against the number 1. Ended up losing the second set after also being up 4-0 in the tie breaker. Subsequently lost the third set in identical fashion after having multiple match points in both the second and third sets.

Not just that. In one play, I had him mid court. I smashed the ball to the left side of the court and had him completely out of play. Suddenly the camera zooms in and he's hitting a winner after being half a court out of play as the ball went by.

Then there's the completely unbelievable accuracy of the opposition. I must have hit the ball out of play at least twenty times during the game. And my opponent not a single error during the entire course of a game that went three sets and despite being down quite heavily.

Was at my ends wits which also probably contributed to the loss but sheesh. I'm playing the game to relax man. Can do without that kind of pressure :D sorry for the run by run breakdown of the play btw

18. Blizzard500

Blizzard500 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I agree. I was up 5-2 in the final set against the world's #2 (I'm #1) and he wins the next consecutive 5 games. His shots were suddenly way more faster, my shots were bouncing much higher allowing him to run to them, and my character movement feels much stiffer and unresponsive than in the earlier games for some odd reason. I agree there is some serious unfairness with the computers AI when they are down in a game.

19. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #139 worldcitizen1919, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    I have heard the AI cheats but as I got better I found I was able to take on all comers and beat No.1 yesterday after losing the 1st set. He won 5-3, then I won 4-1,5-3. Sometimes you get tired and don't perform as well. Nothing's rigged.

Also there isn't really hardly any lag it depends on which surrounding you're in. Some surroundings which have a lot more crowds and buildings have a bit of lag but not enough to not fully enjoy the game. I'm using new iPad.

Just became no.7

I find this tennis game hard to put down and it keeps making me want to pick it up and play again. I think though I sustained a real shoulder injury from all the swiping!! I've had pain in my right shoulder since I've been playing this for about 3 weeks.

I'll just tell the doctor I played a bit of tennis and sprained a shoulder muscle. Of course I'm not going to mention the iPad.

20. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Are there mini games?