Universal Partia (by Imago)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ImagoGames

ImagoGames New Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Patch and Tutorial vids!

I actually came here to mention it to you guys, but it looks like you beat me to it :)

With this update we're also going to be making a short video series that can act as a kind of tutorial. It will cover basics like using the map to your advantage, managing your items, what unit stats mean, and all that good stuff. If anybody has any specific requests, we'll take comments in this thread in account! Thanks again!

2. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Interesting that I am quoting undeadcow's post, as I got to the thread by his signature suggestion. I give you an enormous amount of credit for leading me to discover the wonder of Knighturn and Kingturn.

Anyway, my question about Partia. When it first came out I read there were issues with the game speed. How is it after the new update?

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #43 undeadcow, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    In my opinion the newer update adding a faster speed and single tap move/confirmation likely will still leave those apt to complain about the speed of a SRPG unsatisfied. The UI is a little quicker with single tap (you have to confirm everything still) and the enemy movement might be an estimated 50% faster. Sanuku's gameplay video in the first post accurately approximates what you can expect even after the update (things are faster now, but not that much imo). When you attack an enemy it shows stats to confirm, then a graphic of the attack, then health depleting. If you're a SRPG fan you might be used to this because Partia's dynamics don't seem uncommon for th genre, however "slow." Partia plays exactly like the legendary Fire Emblem series; it's basically Fire Emblem for iOS (and you never bear people lament Fire Emblem is too slow and methodical). Partia lacks some of the polish that Kingturn, which is a better starting place for iOS SRPGs, has (in Kingturn you can fast forward enemy movement, etc) but is worth it. Partia's retro graphic style works well for being slightly blurry on newer devices. From a developer that complains about only getting 600 sales in the app description I'm not sure how much future support there will be.

However, if you like strategy role playing games then you might not care as much about any of the above flaws. The combat is satisfying with an interesting political narrative (not unlike the Mangobile games or original Fire Emblem). On iOS Partia stands out to me as being one of the better indie SRPG games in a market that sees few SRPG releases and Partia deserves more attention. Check out the original post video and if you like what you see go for it; Partia is a steal for $3.99.

4. actionrpg8000

Sep 17, 2012
    Well if it plays at a similar speed as fire emblem, then that isn't a problem. The two gba fire emblem games are one of the reasons I am holding on to my daughter's pink DS lite even though she has outgrown it :)

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you do download Partia I'll be curious to hear your impressions. You might be more familiar with Fire Emblem than me but Partia's similarities seem spot on. Definitely review the gameplay video. I'm surprised we don't see any "retro" Game Boy era games ported over (?); I'm sure a formal Fire Emblem iOS would do great.

You bring up a good point; I'll have to stick with buying my daughter gender neutral mobile gaming stuff in case confiscation is warranted.

6. actionrpg8000

Sep 17, 2012
    The only who gives me a hard time is my wife, who enjoys making comments about her 40 year husband playing with a pink child's toy. But is it my fault the game boy advance had so many great RPGs and SRPGs?

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #47 undeadcow, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    It's kind of a shame that mobile gaming has changed so much that there use to be plenty if great great RPGs like Fire Emblem avaliable but now we're offered physics puzzlers and freemium gimmicks. "They" don't make games like they use; expect for Kingturn and Partia and a few others that slip through the cracks (then get overlooked). It's a small miracle Partia, such as it is, even came out after a failed Kickstarted campaign.

8. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    So, I'm downloading this in the next couple days (when my FMA account hits that magic number). How're the current sales doing? I read 600 a month or so ago. I'm really hoping more people support this app. I mean, "ios games like Fire Emblem" is up there on google searches. You'd think this would get tons of support.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this game. Best of luck to the devs.

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am surprised but excited to see a new update; hopefully Imago isn't giving up on iOS. I agree with Ludka33; it's surprising Partia doesn't get more attention.

New update:

To clarify in game graphics are much crisper but Partia is not 5G widescreen enabled.

10. BluClaymore

BluClaymore Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I just beat the game. It was awesome! Everything was great but i was surprises when i finished because it felt so short, i was expecting more. But it it was still deff worth it. Cant wait for partia two! Trailer looks cool. In the trailer it didnt look like they were continuin with the story, felt like they just started a completely different story.... Unless thats his son 30 years later or something...cant wait!

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I just purchased it last night and after playing for an hour, I find myself irritated by the slow attack animations. It gives off a very sluggish feel overall. Is this only on a 5s or is it a universal problem? I'm totally fine with the sketchy menus and confirmations. I really wanted to like this. I guess I'll give it more time. I'm not usually picky when it comes to graphics. But with this, I'd prefer stationary sprites, something similar to Wesnoth than what Partia is trying to be. This game deserves attention, but also deserves some love from the developer.

12. dustinkang79

dustinkang79 Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Programmer
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sorry I haven't seen this message before! 10 month later, eh? As for the slowness, it is as intended and it never quite occurred to me that it'll bother people to any degree- and this is after I made an option to speed up the game by 1.5 times!

I remember my goal was to give that anticipation of hit and miss so took care to not make things go by so fast. We couldn't afford big animated sprites battle but I wanted the thrill.

Unfortunately Partia 2 battle remains the same speed- but I'll see about adding the option to make game speed even faster.

Thank you!

13. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Updated, now also fits wider screens. Thanks Imago.