Dealing with publishers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Aruki, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Aruki

Aruki Active Member

May 10, 2011
    Game Designer
    Madrid
    Besides an NDA what other legal / copyright documentation, should an indie developer have ready when contacting a publisher?

Is it really necessary to have Game name, Characters, art, code Copyright/Trademark when first approaching a publisher?

Thx in advance!!

2. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    You can have your DNA but you can also probably ask for their DNA, they should have one that cover for both of you.

Regarding the game, it depends at what stage your are. If it's an early prototype, gameplay only, then all the names/art and assets don't matter too much, but the gameplay must be kick ass and easy to understand. The simplicity and accessibility is more important than the look.

If you're advanced in the development, then I suggest you show only a very polished product. Basically, it applies for everyone, not only publishers: either show a prototype that looks like a prototype, or a game that looks like a released game, but nothing in between. The worst that can happen is that people think that a half-baked product is the best you can do.

3. o-b-o

o-b-o Member

Jul 22, 2011
    development & management
    Europe
    What do you mean by "polished product" - is this a full game or maybe (as I understand from my experience) something like "a vertical slice" (gameplay is fully functional, assets are polished, etc. - but everything is done ONLY for 1-2 "levels" and NOT for a full game)?

4. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I mean full game or vertical slice. If your game has levels, it can be one or two levels only, but most of the time the biggest part of the job is getting the generic stuff well done.

5. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen the TV program Dragons' Den? Where inventors make a pitch to the 5 investors. I think a publisher should be approached the same way.

6. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    When I was approached by a publisher, I was asked only for a working adhoc version of the game.

I didn't send them one, but I think, if you want to contact them, a formal email is enough. Then you can send them the game and then they will tell you, what they need for further negotiation.

You don't need to overcomplicate things on the appstore.

I was talking to many big publishers before on the PC market and even they were cool. It's always the best thing to contact them with a polite email explaining who you are and what you want.