Story driven iOS games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wossname, Feb 28, 2011.

1. wossname

wossname Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    I am a big fan of games with immersive stories. You know, all the bioware and bethesda rpgs, the old ultima games, all that goodness.

I've been pretty disappointed with the iOS games from a story standpoint. Is there anything out there with a compelling story anyone could recommend? Price isn't really an issue, in fact, I'm willing to pay more for a game with a good story.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Phoenix Wright

3. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    A good start would be:
    - Inotia 3.
    - Chaos Rings.

Both offer pretty solid and engaging stories as you progress.

Queens Crown is also a game with a good story imo.

4. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Man, get Spider The Secret of Bryce Manor. I believe it has some of the best storytelling in any videogame. So simple, yet deep.

There's also a couple point and click adventure games with really fun, compelling stories like Monkey Island, Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword.

5. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    Woohoo! Thanks for the replies, I have a few new games to play through now :)

I grew up with the monkey island games so that one doesn't need to be downloaded again, but all the rest I haven't yet tried.

6. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    There are story-driven games and there are good story-driven games. Phoenix Wright, for instance, is very story-driven, but the story it tells is juvenile, facile, and suffers from a culture gap.

Games like Star Breed, Alchemy Reactions, Ash, maybe Rimelands, Beneath a Steel Sky, the Monkey Island series, Aralon, and Chaos Rings, are story-driven but also deliver good narratives, with excellent characters and writing.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #7 backtothis, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    Good the thing the OP is American then. That really makes me laugh...Rimelands and Aralon are two of my favorite RPGs, but saying that their stories are good is honestly an insult to games that are entirely based on storytelling. I don't know how old you would have to be to consider the stories presented in Phoenix Wright to be juvenile.

8. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Phoenix Wright - It's a lighthearted story, but it's entertaining.
    Chaos Rings - It's got some of the better characters in an iOS game, and it's an awesome game to boot.
    Monkey Island 1 and 2 - Really funny and really charming.

9. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Firstly, I said "maybe Rimelands," as I have only played it briefly, but from what I saw the plot, world, and characters seemed interesting, though the dialogue wasn't the best. Ash has excellent, clever writing, interesting characters, and an intriguing plot. Aralon is arguably the weaker choice, but honestly, it still holds up better than most of the other "story-driven" games on the market.

I am in no way trying to start an argument, or be a jerk, but I am honestly baffled you think the stories of Aralon and Rimelands are terrible, and then go on to defend the story of Phoenix Wright.

Seriously. There is no clever writing, there is no interesting characters (aside from fashion choices), and most importantly in my opinion, there is no real emotion at all. Even when people are murdered, it's treated in a goofy, comical fashion.

10. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Not many iOS games tell immersive stories. They may be okay at storytelling, but nothing spectacular. You certainly wouldn't play them solely for their story. Most iOS RPGs have just decent stories.

Phoenix Wright, however, is a game that I can recommend for it's story alone. It may be silly at times, but it really keeps you interested the whole way through.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As a big fan of both Aralon and Rimelands, I couldn't agree more :).

Let me add Ash, Puzzle Agent, GTA: Chinatown, Crimson Gem Saga, and of course ported classics like FF2, Shining Force, and Secret of Mana. I also like War of Eustrath, though many people find some of the characters annoying.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ah, NaughtHere, I'm not up for an argument right now, but I'll just say that your opinion on PW is shared by a very small minority here on TA. I didn't say the stories for those RPGs were bad. They just aren't anything special compared to what many other games offer on the iOS. They're more oriented towards the gameplay.

13. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    I find myself losing interest in most JRPG stories, but I'll give chaos rings a try. I haven't been impressed with anything made by square in a while but I'll withhold judgement until I try something new.

I really like when a game IP has books released along with the game. I didn't expect much from the Dead Space book but I was actually pretty impressed with it.

I guess most iOS games aren't deep enough to have anything like a book written to go along with them. Maybe I should convince my partner to make our next game a deep story driven RPG and hire someone to write a book to go along with it :) Too bad that would probably take 2 years to complete :(

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #14 undeadcow, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    Aside from those mentioned here are some oddball titles (some may disagree but I think they're worth a look)...

- Highborn is a strategy game with witty plot and although it is sometimes throw-away parodies of fantasy conventions the script is top notch and there is a good character development with humor (and the gameplay is good if you're into turn based strategy).

- The Quest is propelled by err... quests which are storyline driven.

- HacX is a first person shooter that has some nice level design that creates an implied story (and it's free).

- Zenonia had a decent story with some fun twists (although it's obvious parts were incorporated to pad out the game).

- Tiny Planet is a tilt game, similar to but not as good as Tilt to Live, where you play a growing microbe devouring the world. The character progression ties in with the storyline in a nice way that feels immersive.

- Pro Zombie Soccer has a plot that carries all the intellectual weight you might expect from a zombie game but it's got a passible narrative backbone through levels. Zombie Escape has a more barebones plot but has some nice atmosphere that contributes to a feeling of increased zombie plague versus military intervention.

- Not by conventional narrative guidelines Space Invaders Infinity Gene develops with advancements and upgrade that take the game in a whole new directions as it adapts through levels. In terms of plot content there's not much by in terms of aesthetic improvements that make it feel like storyline advancement this is good.

- Although not story driven Puppet War: FPS and Paladog! have cutesy backstories.

Also, I agree with NaughtHere about Phoenix Wright... but regardless let the guy have his opinion

15. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I dont know about you guys but story and immersion are different. I like the immersion in dead Space as you felt you was in the game literally. I cant say its the best story but its the most immersive game.

16. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I've yet to find anything too compelling or immersive.

I don't blame iOs developers too much for this, though. It's not like they are given a canvas the size of Dragon Age's to work with. "Lean and mean" seems to be the accepted formula for most iOs titles, at least currently.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You don't need a canvas the size of Dragon Age to tell a good story. The real problem is that most developers see narrative as an afterthought -- they would rather spend money on a few more frames of animation than hire a decent writer (for peanuts). Ultimately, of course, it's the fault of gamers who will tear apart a game's graphics much more savagely than its story. (Am I bitter? Nah!)

One game that should probably be mentioned is Sacred Odyssey. The story is not brilliant or original, but it's well told -- especially for a Gameloft game.

18. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    AT $.99 compared to $60 I don't expect the same quality either. That doesn't mean great games don't exist, but a game with 500 people working on it for several years will have many more facets than one built by 2 dudes working on it for 6 months.

Still, a man can hope.

19. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Usually it's the other way around :)

Games are created based on a book....or are inspired by a book.

20. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm really not liing how your coming off here. I totally disagree in that Phoenix wright is a great game with a great story. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't attack other people because they share theirs. You can back of backtothis or get out, because not many people like it when you mess with the well respected. Man I miss the old crowd, in the old days, all these new people got me worked...