Death Road to Canada by Rocketcat Games+Madgarden

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009

Death Road to Canada is a new collaboration I'm working on with Madgarden. It's a randomized permadeath road trip simulator. You and your group of survivors have to travel from Florida to Canada, making Choose Your Own Adventure style decisions. This is mixed in with segments where you explore and loot randomly generated cities, find survivors to recruit, and try to avoid or break through increasingly huge hordes of zombies.

Some big things that set the game apart:
    • The "death metaphor" style of zombie where they're slow, but persistent and in huge numbers. Shambling wall of death.
    • Every survivor has a random appearance, personality, and special traits.
    • Big focus on rare surprises and Easter Egg style events.
    • Play as a dog for some reason.
    • CYOA events influnced by the personalities, stats, and background of your group of survivors.

It's inspired by King of Dragon Pass, River City Ransom, Wasteland Kings (by Vlambeer), The Walking Dead (tv show), and a very tiny bit of Oregon Trail.

Will be posting news about the game and answering any questions in this thread. We're shooting for October. I'm thinking $5 on iOS, in exchange for having no IAP.

2. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Nice! Great partnership. Great thoughts on pricing. Looking forward to this.

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    And the award for best title, videogame division, goes to...

4. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Before anyone else says it... No IAP, $5 = Sold!

5. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I read the title as Rocket Cat games in The Mad Garden....

6. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Oh man, all I had to do was read who was developing i and I knew it was an instabuyt. Probably the greatest dev combo ever. Five bucks=no iAP? Hells to the ya!!! Sounds like an amazing game, Kepa. Keep us posted!

7. WAV 80

WAV 80 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    "Cool it" hahaha cracks me up!!! So excited :D

8. taskerMX

taskerMX Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Coming fall 2013!

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

A zombie roguelike? Awesome. From the Mage Gauntlet/Wayward devs? Instabuy! Was just about to buy Beat Hazard for $4.99, guess I know what I'm saving that money for

Will there be any other tactics beside killing, like setting distractions and traps, barriers, barricading, etc? And I'm assuming that trailer is just one town? Hopefully all towns don't follow that grid template.

Beta testing?

10. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    CYOA, Rocketcat games, inspiration by other awesome IOS games. I am sold by this. When is the release date? Cannot wait for it.

11. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    this looks awesome, and i love the combo of the devs, but Madgarden, whats up with Fargoal 2? i need that game.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    'Nother Rocketcat+Madgarden winner. I am not surprised.

These guys only do awesome... Mediocrity to them, is failure.

S'why i love em.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hey, EP...cool it.

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice! Where can I preorder?

This eccentric world exploration sim seems one step closer to the Earthbound / Barkley Shut Up inspired JRPG Rocketcat kept hinting at a while back (bring it on!).

Would it be wrong for me to assume controls are of a dual stick shooter type?

Why Canada?

15. dzkdes

dzkdes Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Minigore meets The Other Brothers :) . Awesome!

16. graverubber

graverubber Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Guh!

October is so far away.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I think you're lost...

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We want to do distractions, avoidance, and pushing furniture set up obstacles. The plan is that just outright killing will probably get you swarmed and eaten. Our plans for town generation are to have grid streets and single "main streets" connecting to other places like alleyways, sewers, tunnels.

Haven't thought about beta testing yet. I want to look into enterprise testing for this, anything to make the process less annoying.

We'll probably do a KICKSTARTER and have preorders for the PC version.

Controls are swipe to move like Mage Gauntlet, currently with tapping to fire and some swipe commands to switch party members. The attacking uses an autoaim reticle system, which we're adding stats to (some characters aim faster, or aim better while running, etc). Working pretty well so far.

It's Canada as a ploy so that Madgarden can finally get recognized by the Canadian Indie Royalty and Canadian Indie Press.

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#19 Bronxsta, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    Distractions, pushing furniture, sewers? tunnels? Hell yeah, that's going to be so cool

And I've been spreading the word on Reddit and NeoGAF. Do you plan to support the IOS gamepad?

20. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Instabuy! About the other tactics, will there be a stealth element? like maybe have a few sleeping zombies in a room with a lot of furniture and obstacles, and you have to navigate your character through the room without bumping into anything or else the zombies wake up?

I like that they're slow and weak, but in huge numbers. Very classic zombie type.