Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Just discovered the code that creates a itunes style frame!!!! Yeah!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:34 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

5 promo codes to celebrate the release this week of our 2nd game Olio!

Post if you take one so i can mark as redeemed.

7FFJ9NEH9YA4
HJRFLY3JY4LL - Redeemed
JK97NR6KFK36
RW4MXKPNMM3W
YLPEE4YKLL6W - Redeemed

Enjoy

Last edited by SuperRockGames; 08-23-2014 at 04:45 AM..
Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
5 promo codes to celebrate the release this week of our 2nd game Olio!

Post if you take one so i can mark as redeemed.

7FFJ9NEH9YA4
HJRFLY3JY4LL
JK97NR6KFK36
RW4MXKPNMM3W
Redeemed: YLPEE4YKLL6W

Enjoy
I redeemed the last one. Thanks! I have not tried the game yet but will try to post impressions.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it. Still 4 more left i think.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 PM
iPhone 4

i redeemed HJRFLY3JY4LL, looking forward to playing this..
Old 08-23-2014, 04:48 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Hope you enjoy it. We are also giving out free promo codes on Twitter. www.twitter/superrockgames.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Hello again!

First, thanks for the promo code.
I am posting first impressions based on, at most, a half hour of playing. It's long-ish

The Football Playbook is interesting. You play a football/soccer manager with a white board and try to devise strategies to score goals in different matches.

A match is split in three match "phases" (supposedly as they are marked with an in-match time?). Each of these match phases has to be concluded by your team scoring a goal. To score a goal a player from your team has to be in possession of the ball and be in the penalty area. If the opposing team gets the ball, the phase is interrupted and you need to try again from the beginning of the phase.

These match phases are split into two different sub-phases (could not find a better word): (i) whiteboard strategy, (ii) live strategy.
The whiteboard strategy phase consists in drawing lines constituting running paths for your players and choosing passes. Once you have devised your strategy, you hit the start button and your players will move accordingly but so do the opposing team's players. At that point you can still decide which pass or run path to make but are limited by the time flowing.

This strategy planning plus live strategy is what makes the game interesting: seeing your whole strategy unfold before your eyes is quite fun.

I have some issues with the game though.

1- There is no tutorial and hints are non existent: you are on your own from the start. The mechanics of the game are pretty obvious but if I have missed something there is nothing telling me so.
2- There is no way to cancel a pass, so if I have devised a whole strategy with runs from every player from my team and miss-tapped a pass, I need to redo the whole thing again.
3- Once the live strategy phase starts either I am slow or the game is fast but it is hard to handle more than two players at the same time. I believe it is the whole point of the game (strategize first, adjust afterwards), can you confirm that this was desired?
4- When a match has been played (three phases have been concluded by a goal), a new match screen listing three new phases shows up (whereas the transition between phases in a match is seamless). It would probably be better to either: (i) show a final score screen (or something indicating the match has ended) or (ii) directly go to the screen for the first phase of the next match (and provide a message indicating that a new match has started or that the previous match has ended). Otherwise the flow of the game gets disrupted and it had to happen to me twice before I understood what was going on.
5- I don't think there is a way to pass the ball to a player that is running, is there? I tried but the pass then goes wide if the player is not close to the trajectory of the ball. This behaviour would be somehow ok if another player located on the ball trajectory could then play the ball. The game does not allow this though: if another player gets the ball this way, he/she passes the ball back to the player to which the ball was intended initially. This only works in the following case:
player A passes to B and C is in-between. This does not work in the following case: player A passes to B who moved and C is behind B (B gets the ball and passes back to C).
6- One last gripe: the screen transitions (with a screen sliding to overlap the previous one) are either slow or somehow look clunky.

I hope you get impressions from more people.

Last edited by cooltea; 08-23-2014 at 06:02 AM..
Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Thanks for the indepth feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

Quote:
A match is split in three match "phases" (supposedly as they are marked with an in-match time?)
Yes, they are meant to represent 3 moments in a match.

Quote:
These match phases are split into two different sub-phases (could not find a better word): (i) whiteboard strategy, (ii) live strategy.
Yeah that's about right. Its not really realistic to football but people who played the game asked for a stage were they could plan what to do.

Quote:
1- There is no tutorial and hints are non existent
There is a help button on the start screen. It runs through how to play the game and how the controls work. In game hints are a good idea though, most game now walk you through the first few levels with an option to skip.

Quote:
2- There is no way to cancel a pass
If the pass has not already been executed you can drag across the black pass line and release to delete it. A red line should appear when you drag across it.

Quote:
I believe it is the whole point of the game (strategize first, adjust afterwards), can you confirm that this was desired?
Yes, it was also to create tension. Wrong strategy and you fail quickly, then you adjust and try again.

Quote:
i) show a final score screen (or something indicating the match has ended)
Yeah your right. This is even how it is after a real life match.

Quote:
I don't think there is a way to pass the ball to a player that is running, is there?
Player must already be moving when you pass for that to work.

In real life if a player you want to pass to is already moving then you compensate and pass to where he will be. Not where he is currently.

If you pass to a static player. Then while the ball is moving to that player you decide to instruct this static player to move then its logical he will miss the ball as it was passed to where he was previously.

Quote:
This behaviour would be somehow ok if another player located on the ball trajectory could then play the ball.
I guess the game design was that the players are just dummies that you position and instruct to act. They do exactly what you say.

Quote:
if another player gets the ball this way, he/she passes the ball back to the player to which the ball was intended initially
This behaviour was to help you out if you missed a pass in your strategy. To make it a bit more forgiving.

Quote:
player A passes to B who moved and C is behind B (B gets the ball and passes back to C).
I could not recreate this behaviour. In my tests when C gets the ball it passes the ball to B ( the intended recipient ). Possible to get a video or diagram?

Thanks again for the feedback. Will look into screen transitions being clunky.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks for the indepth feedback. It is greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your answer. I totally skipped the help option from the start screen. It actually is a great help!

Quote:
If the pass has not already been executed you can drag across the black pass line and release to delete it. A red line should appear when you drag across it.
Oh so that's what it was for. Not intuitive but ok solution.

Quote:
Player must already be moving when you pass for that to work.

In real life if a player you want to pass to is already moving then you compensate and pass to where he will be. Not where he is currently.

If you pass to a static player. Then while the ball is moving to that player you decide to instruct this static player to move then its logical he will miss the ball as it was passed to where he was previously.
My point was more that there is no way to send the ball in a general direction.

Quote:
I could not recreate this behaviour. In my tests when C gets the ball it passes the ball to B ( the intended recipient ). Possible to get a video or diagram?
See attachment: the diagram is for the second case I have described, in this case C gets the ball but instead of keeping it (C might be in a preferential position), the player gives the ball back to B.

Quote:
Thanks again for the feedback. Will look into screen transitions being clunky.
I would like to revise what I wrote: more than being clunky, they are just awkwardly slow.
Attached Images
File Type: png 26-08-2014 13-40-37.png (9.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
See attachment: the diagram is for the second case I have described, in this case C gets the ball but instead of keeping it (C might be in a preferential position), the player gives the ball back to B.
I understand what you mean now. The game is not smart enough yet to work out that C is better of holding onto the ball. Or continuing the play by passing to the next player after B in the passing chain.

The original idea was that the players do exactly as you tell them. So if one of your passes got intercepted by another one of your players then that player would return the ball to the intended recipient.

I guess its giving people more freedom to do what they want. Same with the passing in a general direction rather than having to pass to a player. Will have to think on it. Maybe a menu pops up asking you what you want to instruct C to do. Pass back to B or something else.

Would be great to have you on the test team for this and our other football games. If your interested, please signup to our mailing list at the bottom of our website http://www.superrockgames.com or send me an email ( contact at superrockgames dot com )

Thanks again!