iPhone The War of Eustrath HD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The iPhone version is in the works, should be out before the end of the summer.

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    They're not really losing money.. they're just not making as much.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It does, but they're assigned to specific characters, so they're not quite defined as such. The game centers around a group of Elemental Gears, each with it's own abilities, upgrade path, weapons, and tactics -- more like Fire Emblem than FF Tactics. As you make your way through the game, your team grows and changes.

Though mecha-oriented, there's much about the game that feels like fantasy, from the elemental mythology at the core of story, to the intervention of goddesses and fairies. The game is not perfect, but if you're willing to try something different, I think it's worth your while.

4. tychay

tychay Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #104 tychay, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    Yeah, so nice. The only requests missing are:

1) Ability to skip dialogs (for when restarting mission without quickstart)
    2) Better dialog/explanation of combat system (however, once you figure it out, it's a breeze. Except for the Tia thing, I managed to complete all but a couple boards without a replay.).

It's funny, but did anyone else notice how the gears you get come in and out depending on the mission. I had a couple overdeveloped gears that I lost *sigh*.

When you consider how poor most game AI's are when there are a lot of strategic factors (willpower, abilities, elements, terrain(!), etc.), I think the developers did a good job of trying to make it challenging. Terrain is especially interesting: For instance, one simple thing with earth gears is to find "high mountains" or "ramparts" and sit on them lobbing ranged weapons—your gear becomes hard to hit. Ironically, that doesn't work with fire gears (low mountains are better and forests are best), and slopes kick but for air gears (which seem to be in great locations and these gears have a high evade anyway).

This reminds me of a small thing. It's best to save immediately before mission start and equippage. You don't know what gears you'll have on what mission, but once you see the mission start, you can get a good idea and better equip them (remember there are items that you can rotate between players). There is one case where I was shocked to find myself fighting my own gear and forgot to equip things correctly. I almost had to replay the board of that. :-D

5. weipeng

weipeng Member

Jun 20, 2010
    graphic designer
    Taipei, Taiwan
    This feature is there in version 1.2. It saves me tons of time. :)
    However, there is still no complete manual ... such a pity.

6. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, but there's absolutely no excuse for not making the iPhone version first. Ipad owners can play iPhone games, but not the other way around - surely the version that's playable for everyone should have taken priority over the one that's unplayable for 99% of users?

Wasn't situations like this exactly what people on here were wordied about just before the ipad came out?

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Maybe the developers were thinking that the iPad would be the best device to create their game for because the iPod's screen is so small compared to the iPad's so it wouldn't be as good. But since their game is in such demand, they decided to create an iPhone version. And before you say anything about the screen size not being a good reason, it is. The screen real estate makes a big difference.

8. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    I agree about the screen size issue, totally. I just mean that between having that play it on a screen size that's not ideal and not being to play it at all, I'd take the screen size issue.

I would have loved to buy an ipad, but I honestly feel apple dropped the ball so much with that device that I really feel I'd be spending $600 on a device that mostly doesn't do what I want. I'm still holding out for the next iteration, hoping it fixes the issues.

9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, you will be able to play it on your iPod just not yet :p But I think they just decided to make a game for a device with the best possible experience that you can get, and then work on porting it onto other devices even though it won't be as pleasant.

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I don't get it. I can't think of anything my iPad doesn't do that I want, except that it could weigh a few ounces less. What "issues"?

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Dunno if that was sarcastic or not.. but I could care less that it has flash. Of course if I had the choice between an ipad with flash and an ipad without, everything else remaining exactly the same including the price, then yeah who wouldnt take one with flash, but really, I dont have much use for it.

I realize I may be in the minority there though.

12. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I agree with you. If they offered a version with flash and a version without, I'd probably take the one with flash (just in case), but I honestly don't care about flash at all.

13. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Actually, I dislike Flash enough that I would pay extra for the version without Flash. It's just annoying and slow. On my PC, FlashBlock (for Chrome) is a godsend.

14. retrac

retrac New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Stage 32

I have not had many problems with the game but at stage 32 which is relatively simple I cannot seem to find out how to escape I can just keep tina taking on Wensloth (yes I know that is not right) but I cannot find the exact point to escape at.

P.S. This is a great game, and after beating Fire Emblem I haven't found anything like it but this a great game. Also a harder version would be nice

15. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    +1, yeah...I'd opt for an iPad without Flash over one with Flash... Flash is retarded...

As for the op in this line of discussion, well, if the iPad had a front camera for Skype calls with video, it would be complete.

16. panyuecn

panyuecn New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    How do i use the mass attack?

I have no idea how to use it, any help plz?

17. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Safari is my first issue. I use the ipad less and less for forums because of this. Here some of the troubles:
    • No way to quickly switch inside app the language used for spelling check.
    • In edit text box the way to scroll is totally awful.
    • In my language there too many special letter often used not in base keyboard like many accent characters (I know the quick swipe shortcuts to get them, but it's still a lot of trouble).
    • Lack of tabs, and for the current system like tabs but slower to use, each time you put a tab in front it refresh, awful even if I suppose memory limits could be a problem but with that fast disk a cache management would be easy.
    • I have more but the list is long enough.

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    OK, I can believe that iPad/Safari doesn't have great support for languages other than English. Seems like a valid complaint but not a big issue for most of the people posting here.

I'm actually pretty glad the number of tabs is limited, I tend to just open too many on my laptop. It's barely manageable there but on the iPad I think I'm really better off not even trying to have scores of them.

19. thebleeptruth

thebleeptruth Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    So this thread has turned to an iPad device review. LOL! Anyway I'm actually more than content with my iPad. I'm loving it, but I totally agree with a couple of your points. Scrolling in edit box is tough. What you have to do is scroll by highlighting, which is very taxing. And yes, opening a tab shouldn't autorefresh. At least there should be a setting to turn autorefresh off. Sometimes though, there have been instances when it hasn't autorefreshed regardless if I had wifi signal at the time or not. The pain of autorefresh is when you saved pages to read later on. Once you open the tab, you have to wait again to have it loaded. Worse of course is if you're in a wifi-less area. Your saved page would be gone. Nevertheless, these are issues that Apple can, and hopefully would, fix later on.

20. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Sure all complain I listed would be quick and easy to fix, Apple just need some concurrent to have their ass kicked. Once Mozilla is going through Apple validation process and working well I'm pretty sure I'll never come back to Safari crap again, like on my Mac.