Audiobus $9.99 --> $4.99, 50% off due to Garageband adding Audiobus support!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by drelbs, Mar 20, 2013.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. monoclespectacle

monoclespectacle Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Right on, thanks for the heads-up.

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Total fail by Apple. They put GarageBand on the wrong end of Audiobus. Really cheap move. And lazy implementation in general. This was just some fake "show some support to indies" PR bull by Apple. :/

4. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    Are you saying you'd just rather it had been an input or an input/output?

Cause if it would have just been an input I'd have considered that to be on the wrong end.

C'est la vie.

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Well both input and output would probably be ideal. Most people don't wanna record into GB since it completely lacks any kind of mixing/mastering ability. But rather have it as input and a more capable daw like Auria, Meteor, Cubasis, Multitrack DAW, Beatmaker 2, well pretty much any other daw-ish app as output since GarageBand just completely sucks in that department.

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It would still be nice to have the option. Nanostudio doesn't yet support AB, right? Well, just bought it, now can really start using apps together. God I'm going crazy with music apps...bought Grainbender yesterday, possible by mistake (I think I might have wanted GrainSCIENCE). Just bought iMS-20...

You all should check out JACK. It certainly needs polishing (and inplementation in apps), but it's an open source midi/audio router...Thumbjam will support it in the next update. And it's free!

7. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    Right on man, I mean I'm definitely in the boat that input/output would have been tits, but I would have been hosed if it was only input.

@ Greyskull: Sent off an e-mail to the NanoStudio dev asking him to look into Audiobus. I'm sure I'm not the only one but it can't hurt =D

8. googdot

googdot Member

Jan 22, 2012
    And I see they've released the SDK so there should be many more apps supported in the near future, which will be awesome.

I'm a newbie to all this - can any of you recommended a good app or two that I can use with audiobus to create a backing reggae track with drum, bass and guitar/organ/synth?

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Not to hijack this thread, but when I bought Grainbender synth, was I thinking of Grainscience? Which one is the...well, the one talked (or used) by musicians who are into granular synthesis?

I'll buy PPG Wavemapper soon enough...Have to free up storage space since just this week I installed MS-20, iMini, Addictive Synth, Grainbender, and more...it's a damn addiction! Good thing I play bass and not electric guitar or I probably would have gotten Jamup (or something like that) XL while it was on sale...might still be.

I'm not going to have any money left over for games :( Especially since I have individual folders of music apps which each have a total cost higher than my iPad Mini...even though I'm too busy futzing around in Abelton to use 'em.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #10 sapphire_neo, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    If you have even the slightest interest in music making apps the you need to buy this ASAP.

Greyskull, Grain Science is the more completely granular synth. It can do amazing things. Also, Nanostudio will never support AB. The dev has said as much, it's a closed environment.

11. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Great app. But yeah Garageband is completely useless without some kind of EQ and compressor on each track.

12. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Greyskull : i don't own grainscience, but i've heard good things about it. I own borderlands, it was great but dev never update it, and it lacks a lot of things to be really usable.

About GB, i used it three or four times, it's great for beginners, but it's so limited that it's impossible to use it as a DAW. You can't mix your song, adding any filter, MIDI editing is hard to use, no fade in/out, no effect except reverb, no automation... So, if it's input only, it's completely useless for me. But it's a good thing for the audiobus devs, apple have them in sight!

And apple can improve audiobus compatibility in the future.

I'll give JACK a try. Actually it seems a bit limited, only usable with werkbench and CMP piano, but who knows? Competition with audiobus may be a good thing.

13. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    great. Maybe, one day. When I upgrade my iPhone to a newer model than 4.

14. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    This + Alexander Gross' Music Studio are the most valuable applications I've ever purchased.

I got an iRig for $10 a while back for demoing purposes. With Audiobus now, I wonder what the recording quality is like for some of the higher end guitar interfaces. Any advice?

15. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    Damn absolute statements... Always sucking the wind out of sails. Thanks for the info though!

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #16 Greyskull, Mar 21, 2013
    It just came out. The adk can be implented by any dev, and it allows you to essentially route any app the way you want to (though it's less user friendly). Example: In AB, if you're using a post effects processor, you haveto route all of your ouputs through it...you can't split things up.With Jack, it is possible (if devs include the sdk) to create multiple, simultaneous processing lines...so you could route a one track to a DAW clean, and one through...just an example, but Glitchbreaks.

Also, AB Is only audio. Jack routes Audio AND midi, and they can be seperated. AB simplifies the workflow on ios, Jack could male it easier to simultaneously use apps, a midi controller, and a PC DAW. That's just one example. You should check out the developer's website. The guy also made a free midi utility called Midi Wretch for ios that rivals paid apps.

EDIT: Damn...that's what I get for having stayed awake for over a day before purchasing..I knew I wanted to pick up Grainscience, bit the lack of sleep had me searching "grain synthesizer) and smashing the wrong buy button. I thought something was up after I launched the app and thought to myself...this isn't the GUI I was expecting.

Oh well, you can never have too many synths to play with. I bought '76 Synth just because it was on sale and it looks pretty ;).

I'de love to get rid of Tabletop, it's a huge app, but I've been using it w/iMini which functions as a plugin (besides being a stand-alone instrument). Also, it goes monophonic when used in Tabletop...Apple really needs to add more memory to idevices.

I do have some fondness for Tabletop though; it came out long before Audiobus with essentially the same idea, but in a closed system. It's still neat creating a virtual workstation by dragging and dropping devices.

17. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Currently JACK only supports two app, MIDI Wrench and CMP Grand Piano, both in-house apps.

18. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Thumbjam and Sonosorous will support it soon.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Any recommendations for Effects apps for Audiobus? The only one I have (on iPhone at least) is NLog. (Universal is best as I'm mostly on my iPhone, it's hard to get our iPad away from our daughter...)

Am seriously considering Echo Pad and nils. Gonna play more with AmpKit (the free version.)

Oh how I wish I had more time to play with these things... :)

20. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #20 chris1a, Mar 21, 2013
    Magellan. Both iPad and iPhone versions have all the same effects, and it is modular so you can move around the effects in the fx chain. It does have quite a few effect units: Reverb, echo, stereo delay, phaser, flanger, chorus, bitcrusher, booster, distortion, compressor, 6 band EQ.

Edit: Just make sure to "init" the synth so it doesn't use the CPU.