iOS 4.0 slowing down apps? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Aug 9, 2010.

1. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Over the past few days is the first time I've done much gaming on my 3GS since I updated my firmware to 4.0 earlier this summer. I've noticed everything is really sluggish now, especially with apps that continue running in the background like We Rule. I never had issues with We Rule before, but now it's almost unplayable with how sluggish it is, and it crashes often. I'm thinking it's memory issues due to xx amount of apps being open at a time.

Does anyone else on a 3GS have the same issue? Does anyone have any tips on how to get better performance using iOS 4.0? Is there a way to shut down apps running in the background short of rebooting your phone?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've relied heavily on MemoryInfo since upgrading my iPod Touch to iOS4.

So far the only game I've seen unplayablely slow is 1000: Find 'em all... :(

3. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    How does MemoryInfo work? Does it automatically clean out unused memory when you open the app? Is it compatible with all devices?

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Runs on everything as far as I know.

Starts clearing memory when you launch it - you do have to let it run for a few seconds though. (watch the numbers change and the chart)

I get about 40 MB free with this w/out a reboot.

Their other program FreeMemory is supposedly the exact same thing with a different UI...

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    System Activity Monitor does the same thing, and it was recently updated to iOS4. And yeah, it's pretty much required to play the bigger games on the platform.

6. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    cool gonna buy that now. maybe not the feed back is pretty negative.. not that i always take feed back with a grain of salt.

how dose it work for you? any problems the feed back is complaining about?

chris.

7. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    System Activity Monitor is great and was pretty much needed with the old OS. I just wish there was a one button push to close all apps.

8. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I picked up MemoryInfo for a buck. It's working pretty well.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No crashes for me, and it works as advertised -- freeing memory is now automatic.

10. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    iOS 4 ruined my iPod. Nuff said. hahahaha

11. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Definitely getting slowdown with the firmware, but still, not enough to bother me.

12. dampfnudel

dampfnudel Member

May 16, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I might get MemoryInfo. I noticed after upgrading to iOS 4.0 that some apps, in particular Plants vs. Zombies, began to slow down with a lot of activity on the screen. I didn't notice that with OS 3.1. I just wonder if the 4.1 update will solve these slowdowns with older devices with less ram. Maybe I should wait for 4.1 before getting MemoryInfo?

One thing I know for sure, I won't be upgrading to iOS 5.0 next year, at least not on my 3rd gen Touch. If I get a iPhone 4 (with Verizon) early next year, I'll upgrade to iOS 5. Same story with the 2nd gen iPad I plan to get.