IOS6 Updating/downloading free apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jacob007, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    In IOS6, I thought you could download free apps and app updates without entering your Apple ID. I was looking forward to this to save me the time of entering my password and because its just more convienent, but sadly, I am still forced to enter my password. Its a minor gripe, but does anyone know why this is?

2. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    hmm... sound interesting. the closest i've heard of that is the iOS 7 auto-update feature.

3. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure it WAS included, it just wasn't a very notable feature. It's minor, after all, but I was really looking forward to it and it very rarely works. Sorry for bringing this situation up now, I guess it's a bit late. :p

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Updates shouldn't require a password; free apps though still do as far as I remember.

5. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    You have to enter your password if you download an app.(Even its free.Its apple policy.And believe me I read the whole policy page for two hours.)
    As for the updates if you have only one apple ID and all the updates for the same ID then it will not demand any password.In other case if on ID is active and updates are associated with another ID(meaning the apps were purchased with another ID on the same iPhone) then you have to enter the password for that ID.
    Hope it helps!

6. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I could have been wrong on the free apps not involving the password, I apologize! Anyways, I think I figured out the problem, I've been attempting to download the updates when I'm NOT logged into my Apple ID, but when I'm already logged into it, I don't have to enter the password, which makes perfect sense. Sorry, guys, I was a bit idiotic! :eek:

Infinity, that was also part of the problem, I have TWO ID's associated with the updates.. Luckily, the other ID which I don't primarily use only had free games downloaded on it, so I deleted all those games and redownloaded those with my regular Apple ID. Thanks, guys!

7. Infinity89

Apr 8, 2013
    No problem.Happy to help!

8. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Hmm, it doesn't seem to be working. I am NOT signed into my Apple ID and all the updates are for the same ID. Do I have to be signed into my ID in advance to download them without a password? Because it doesn't seem like I can download them without being prompted for a password if I'm not logged in.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    When I update my app, I have to enter my ID, then I can update other apps in a 15 minute time frame without entering my ID again (I think) after 15 minutes, you must re-enter your Password to download & update apps again.

10. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Only time it prompted me to enter ID was when I had zero cash on credit card , which is funny because it turns out I can't update without having at least some cash on credit card tied to Apple ID account.

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    You need to be signed in to the correct account to download updates, but once you're signed in you shouldn't have to type in the password again just for updates.

12. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    That sounds like you're logged into the wrong account or not logged in at all. You shouldn't need to type anything to update.

13. Infinity89

Apr 8, 2013
    On my iDevice when ever I'm logged into the sane ID for which I have updates I don't need to enter password.
    For iTunes whenever I open it I asks me my password since I have only one ID associated for it.

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I could be wrong. I do know that I have to enter my password when downloading apps. But I'm sure on a few occasions I've had to do the same when updating an app. But I've also updated apps without entering my password. So I'll check again, see if it happens again.