★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
02-28-2013, 05:03 AM
After reading that I'm in for sure... Will leave my thoughts soon...
Stupid work

planck
02-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Ok this is just a flat out beautiful game! Great twist with use of shadow. I'm only early in but this just oozes class and character

02-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Arrrgh, normally this would be my type of game but the high file size means i'll have to do a bit of deleting first.

Was hoping it would be about 50 meg !
02-28-2013, 05:20 AM
File size is going to delay my purchase here as well. Can anyone share the installed size?
02-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Arrrgh, normally this would be my type of game but the high file size means i'll have to do a bit of deleting first.

Was hoping it would be about 50 meg !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
File size is going to delay my purchase here as well. Can anyone share the installed size?
Actually the installed size is only 267 mb. Just barely higher than the download size. A lot of games with less than half the download size will expand to as much or more anyway. (As I'm sure you both know.)
02-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Only disappointment: iCloud does not appear to be working, could a dev look into it please? With the level design focused on exploring out of the way areas and often navigating tricky platforms to uncover all secrets, sync between devices becomes particularly important.
I'll look into this, I already have a patch in the works for a small game center issue.

What devices / versions of iOS are you running? Knowing could help me track down the issue. Thanks!

I make things. I made the soon to be released Penumbear. I also made Omegapixel & Four Hats. Tacos are my favorite thing to make. Twitter: @tacograveyard
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Alrighty...

First off - WOW. I'm totally blown away. It's also nice seeing the developer of a Universal platformer actually adjust the controls to fit the iPad screen better (though if possible, it's always good to have adjustable controls - not saying that they're needed here, but I'm sure that there will be some players who would prefer buttons moved slightly). The exploration aspect of it all (trying to find the bears in each level) is awesome. The double tap arrows to run can be a little finicky. There's been a couple of times I was trying to delicately maneuver the character across small one block platforms and he wound up running right off em to his death... but it's still a nice addition, not having to worry about a run button, and once I get a little more familiar with it, I don't see this being too much of a problem.

The lighting mechanics are great, and knowing that more control over the lights is coming has got me all sorts of excited to get into the real meat of the game.

I am also having issues with iCloud not working - iPhone 5 and iPad 2 - both on iOS 6.1.2, not jailbroken. There is also a little issue with the 'Bulkypix' logo on startup on my iPhone 5 - it looks like it's being displayed for an iPad (I only get the bottom right corner of the image on my screen) - but that's not really anything to worry about - just something that I noticed.

Other than that - this is one hell of a platformer so far, and easily my favorite purchase of the week so far (with Danmaku Unlimited 2 coming out tomorrow, it's hard to compete). But yeah - definitely enjoying it quite a bit, and great to see another proper platformer hit this year (Cordy 2 counts, right?)

Aaaaaaaaaaaand - I'm done (yeah, no more closed parenthesis from me... sorry bout all that)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penumbear BP Logo.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	54161  

:;:2016 GOTY:;: Imbroglio
:;:2017 GOTY (So far...):;: Danmaku Unlimited 3

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 02-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
02-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Sad to see that this doesn't work on an iPad 1 Usually games that work on an iPod Touch 4 work on an iPad 1 as well, since the resolution and memory are comparable.
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Actually the installed size is only 267 mb. Just barely higher than the download size. A lot of games with less than half the download size will expand to as much or more anyway. (As I'm sure you both know.)
Yeah i've just cleared up room for this and bought it. Read a lot of very positive reviews so far so i want to support this, looking forward to giving this a proper go later. Looks very impressive.
02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacograveyardllc View Post
I'll look into this, I already have a patch in the works for a small game center issue.

What devices / versions of iOS are you running? Knowing could help me track down the issue. Thanks!
iPad 2/iPhone 4S. Both 5.1.1.

Is iCloud working for everyone else?