★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
10-26-2017, 01:56 AM
#21
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinoaHeartily View Post
Can someone tell me what kind of a game is this? A similar game comparison will be great. Quite a hassle to create an au acc to check it out
You are best off googling the Nintendo direct video for it. Theres a pretty extensive gameplay demo basically laying it all out for you.
10-26-2017, 03:07 AM
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepolicy View Post
Don't hold your breath that the currency will change, Real Racing 3 is an isolated example that fits EA's specific brand of soft launches and betas: start off with over-the-top, predatory monetization, then dial back to what they really intended after the inevitable backlash. In fact, the same thing is happening right now with the loot box outrage in Battlefront II.

Besides, the currency flow in AC is pretty generous by most standards.

And before people start getting bent out of shape over timers and premium currencies, let's all take a moment to recall that Animal Crossing has always been designed like a F2P game, except without the means to shorten the timers. Picked all your fruit? Come back tomorrow. Upgrade your house? Come back tomorrow. Etc., etc. :-P
Yeah, I fully agree. I have New Leaf on 3DS and it's the same philosophy, like F2P but without IAP to accelerate the process. From what I'm reading from all of you who are experiencing the soft launch, it seems this AC game fits phones perfectly. Has anyone tried cross-platform savegames? (i.e.: playing the same savegame in Android and iOS)

10-26-2017, 03:29 AM
#23
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 704
At the moment the only country you can select ingame is Australia, does this have any impact on the actual game? Will I be able to change it to my own country once the game releases? If I link the Australian game to my Nintendo account, will I be able to continue playing with the official national release next month?
10-26-2017, 11:28 AM
#24
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 737
You will easily be able to change your Nintendo ID back to your home country upon full release. Just have to leave it on AUS for now until then

Does the market only change items daily? Or is there any way to view friends markets? Seems really limiting to only have a few items a day to choose from...

(I am an AC veteran so I understand it's like the core games this way, I just thought they might advance it a bit for the mobile version!)
10-26-2017, 11:45 AM
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle86 View Post
But what does that mean? Surely they have some benefit or incentive to show up, besides just being NPC's
I guess I don't understand the question - on a basic level work the same way as other NPCs. Because this game ties rewards to friendship leveling/ fetch quests, they represent another opportunity to get crafting materials and bells. Chances are they will provide rarer crafting materials as they are essentially premium content.

I don't have enough Leaf tickets yet to purchase one of their items yet so I can't state that with certainty, it just fits their game design pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle86 View Post
You will easily be able to change your Nintendo ID back to your home country upon full release. Just have to leave it on AUS for now until then
Are you certain about that? I don't see an opportunity to reselect regions in the game options, though I realize you can do it from accounts.nintendo.com. My fear is that I'll be bound to the Australia game shard forever.

It's also worth noting that if you have a balance on your Nintendo ID, or on a child account (like your NNID), you cannot change the region until you drain the balance. I have 30 bucks on my Nintendo ID, so I couldn't change regions if I wanted to.

Quote:
Does the market only change items daily? Or is there any way to view friends markets? Seems really limiting to only have a few items a day to choose from...
Yes, they change daily, if not more frequently. Isabelle talks about it during the tutorial. I can't recall (i don't have the game handy) but it's possible you can use leaf tickets to refresh the market like you can with other game systems. (Something I would have appreciated in New Leaf, frankly)

You can't go to other friends' markets, you can only visit their campsite. However, you can view their "market box," which works a bit like Hay Day's player commerce system.

Quote:
(I am an AC veteran so I understand it's like the core games this way, I just thought they might advance it a bit for the mobile version!)
From a freemium design standpoint, that would go against their best interests. All games like this are "content furnaces," that is, players consume content faster than game teams can make it. Almost all design choices are built around slowing down that burn rate.

Last edited by Saucepolicy; 10-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
10-26-2017, 11:58 AM
#26
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
Yeah, I fully agree. I have New Leaf on 3DS and it's the same philosophy, like F2P but without IAP to accelerate the process. From what I'm reading from all of you who are experiencing the soft launch, it seems this AC game fits phones perfectly. Has anyone tried cross-platform savegames? (i.e.: playing the same savegame in Android and iOS)
I haven't tried it but because your data is stored by Nintendo via your ID and not iCloud/ Game Center, it should transition seamlessly.
10-26-2017, 01:14 PM
#27
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Natural State
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle86 View Post
You will easily be able to change your Nintendo ID back to your home country upon full release. Just have to leave it on AUS for now until then
Can we get any further input on this? I don't mean to discredit your claim, but I'd like any input possible to know this won't mess up my account. I went ahead and did it and I'm enjoying my game, but I also use that Nintendo account for my Switch.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of during global launch, swapping my region back to US and everything saving/being good to go. HOPING.

If you'd like me to beta test your app, PM me for TestFlight info.
10-26-2017, 03:46 PM
#28
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabuckn View Post
Can we get any further input on this? I don't mean to discredit your claim, but I'd like any input possible to know this won't mess up my account. I went ahead and did it and I'm enjoying my game, but I also use that Nintendo account for my Switch.

I'm hoping it's just a matter of during global launch, swapping my region back to US and everything saving/being good to go. HOPING.
Wait, the game warned me that changing my Nintendo account's region would unlink it from my Nintendo ID(your switch/3DS account), so I didn't mess with it at all. I figured either it'll let me change my region to the US in game on global launch or I'll just start over if I decide to stick with it...which doesn't look good. I've enjoyed multiple Animal Crossing titles starting with the original, but was burned out by the time I got the 3DS game and wasted money buying it. The problem here is that after one session I feel like I've seen it all. Yeah, some familiar faces may appear from time to time or some sort of event, seasonal or otherwise, may occur to mix things up, but the core gameplay comes down to fulfilling requests for friendships, and then crafting and waiting for items to invite the friend over. The requests get harder and harder, and you have to craft more and more stuff for further friendships. Essentially, I've seen it all, now it's just upping the requirements for each step and nothing more. The gas ran out real fast here. For the casual market, however, this is going to be a major success.
10-27-2017, 06:23 AM
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
Wait, the game warned me that changing my Nintendo account's region would unlink it from my Nintendo ID(your switch/3DS account), so I didn't mess with it at all. I figured either it'll let me change my region to the US in game on global launch or I'll just start over if I decide to stick with it...which doesn't look good. I've enjoyed multiple Animal Crossing titles starting with the original, but was burned out by the time I got the 3DS game and wasted money buying it. The problem here is that after one session I feel like I've seen it all. Yeah, some familiar faces may appear from time to time or some sort of event, seasonal or otherwise, may occur to mix things up, but the core gameplay comes down to fulfilling requests for friendships, and then crafting and waiting for items to invite the friend over. The requests get harder and harder, and you have to craft more and more stuff for further friendships. Essentially, I've seen it all, now it's just upping the requirements for each step and nothing more. The gas ran out real fast here. For the casual market, however, this is going to be a major success.
This is why I don't want to take the risk of tampering with Nintendo's country ID. I'm anxious to play AC phone version, but not that anxious...
10-27-2017, 06:25 AM
#30
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Natural State
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
This is why I don't want to take the risk of tampering with Nintendo's country ID. I'm anxious to play AC phone version, but not that anxious...
Okay so I'm playing it with no issues. Still have access to all my digital content on my Switch under the same account.

THAT BEING SAID. Please be cautious if you have ANY funds on your Nintendo account. Changing regions from US to AU WILL void those funds.

Other than that, cute game. Good time killer/zen style game.

If you'd like me to beta test your app, PM me for TestFlight info.