★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
12-26-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion for this one. Any time a new MB game comes out, I lose days just figuring out the mechanics and going for high scores. Still working out the symbols on this one but know it's another classic.

Anyone making any progress figuring out what the symbols all mean?

Favorite developers: Grumpyface, Michael Brough, Rocketcat, Donut Games, Nitrome, Orange Pixel, Radiangames, Llamasoft (come back!)
12-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smes3817 View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion for this one. Any time a new MB game comes out, I lose days just figuring out the mechanics and going for high scores. Still working out the symbols on this one but know it's another classic.

Anyone making any progress figuring out what the symbols all mean?
Sure. If any aren’t clear, run the hover text when doing a tap hold on a symbol along 1 of your wands through the Google Portuguese to English translator. If easier you can also go to the Help from the Main Menu to see a page filled with all of the abilities in the game and do the same thing.

While hopefully obvious to folk who have played a few games now, it took me a while to get that when you first use a wand, you aren’t likely to see more than a small fraction of its powers. In most cases you’ll only be told about the aspects of the wand you just witnessed. Like if your wand has the “Insta Rooster Kill” ability, you’ll never know until you use it against a rooster.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 12-26-2017 at 11:59 AM.

12-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Most are straight forward, there are a couple I still can't figure out, also what are those things you collect on the bottom right ? The circular things
12-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by esty8nine View Post
Most are straight forward, there are a couple I still can't figure out, also what are those things you collect on the bottom right ? The circular things
Oh, while I have yet to pull it off, I think I get what’s happening there. If you collect 5 orbs in a streak (a streak doesn’t technically end until you die, so if you escape the dungeon, all of the orbs you collected on your last run will still be with you), you’ll gain an artifact. I believe this artifact will then stay with you in future dungeons until you finally die and your streak ends. Just look at the top scores on the leaderboard and you’ll see those guys are LOADED with artifacts gained on their insane streaks. But what is unclear to me until I earn 1 is if these give off a lot of cool passive abilities or act potentially as a persistent spare wand for the player.

My iTunes Reviews
12-26-2017, 01:13 PM
So this game is intentionally not in English?
12-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Yup. Just Michael Brough things.
12-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by esty8nine View Post
Gah, I need to try harder if everyone is figuring the symbols out haha. I've played a ton and have only figured out like 3. Damn, I'm having fun regardless. I could play new MB rougelikes forever.

Favorite developers: Grumpyface, Michael Brough, Rocketcat, Donut Games, Nitrome, Orange Pixel, Radiangames, Llamasoft (come back!)
12-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafringe View Post
Yup. Just Michael Brough things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smes3817 View Post
Gah, I need to try harder if everyone is figuring the symbols out haha. I've played a ton and have only figured out like 3. Damn, I'm having fun regardless. I could play new MB rougelikes forever.
This game shares so much DNA with 868-Hack and Imbroglio.

I'm almost convinced the using of Portuguese is an odd way of pushing the likely vast majority of English speakers to try to decrypt the game's iconography, but just to be weird, still fully document all effects for folk who would still prefer to go through the hassle of translating the text over just figuring it out in play.

This game scratches a couple of bits that I love about great roguelikes.

1) Figuring out what my items do: This game's wands remind me of what you go through in many roguelikes in trying to figure out what your random potions and scrolls do.

2) Adapting to a harsh environment with random equipment: So once I sort of get what my wands do, how can I use them to kick ass?

My iTunes Reviews
12-26-2017, 04:27 PM
It weird to see a game purposedly in my native language, I'm not sure if being able to understand the text "breaks the magic" (there are some bits of broken portuguese lol), but I think this is a pretty neat game so far
12-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Compra instantânea. Jogo fantástico.