One Handed gamer looking for more games with controls like Playdead's Inside

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by trialsbikeadam, Dec 29, 2017.

1. trialsbikeadam

Dec 29, 2017
    I recently lost my left arm, so gaming has been difficult. I was thrilled to find that Playdead's "Inside" only required one hand to play!! swipe left to go left, swipe up to jump, hold down on the screen for an action, etc..... It was easily played with one thumb :) Are there any other IOS games out there with controls like that? Thanks very much, Adam

2. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I like one handed games also. Most of them seem to be strategy games or board/card games though... some I have on my phone now are...
    Lost Portal
    Night of the Full Moon
    868 Hack
    Rogue Wizards
    Plague Inc
    REDCON
    Eufloria
    Templar Battleforce
    Last Warlock

There's plenty more I'm missing... p.s. they'll probably move this thread into 'general games and discussion' so if it goes missing, look there... hope I helped a little...#

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Never played that game, but here are games I think you can play with one hand

Thumb Drift
    Tap Hero
    One Tap Tennis
    Chip Chain
    Dungelot Shattered Lands
    Hue Ball
    Domino Drop
    Mind the Blox
    Hoplite
    Tomb of the Mask
    Harald: A game of influence
    Card Crawl
    Miracle Merchant
    Flip Flop Solitaire
    Jaipur
    Donsol
    Swap Sword
    Drop7
    Don't Grind
    Puzzle Sweeper
    Solitairica

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Don't know what your preferences are, but pretty much anything not realtime-based should be ok for you; particularly if you do not mind moving your hand/arm more to reach controls (like bottom middle of the screen on the Pro, that location sucks :( ).
    Gamebooks, strategy and tactics games, some RPGs (but turnbased sadly get rarer in that genre), even some realtime games like Undersea.

I mostly play strategy/tactics and RPGs, so if you like those, I can recommend:
    - Anything from Wavelight Games
    - Anything from Spiderweb Games
    - King of Dragon Pass
    - Planar Conquest
    - Warhammer Quest 2
    - Ticket to Earth
    - Predynastic Egypt
    - Codex of Victory
    - Starbase Orion
    - Templar Battleforce
    - Civilisation 6, if you like the Civ series
    - the 3 singleplayer Braveland games (but not the new multiplayer one)

Oh, and Nimian Legends Brightridge: it's a fantastic-looking realtime exploration game, where you can place your controls anywhere you like on the screen.

5. trialsbikeadam

Dec 29, 2017
    Thank you sooo much guys! I’m new to mobile gamer (used to mainly be a console gamer). So almost everything on those lists is new to me and should keep me busy for quite a while trying them out! :) I’ve never done much turn based gaming other than some old final fantasy stuff. But I’m definitely open to exploring and adapting to some new platforms. Thanks again it is very much appreciated!

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    My pleasure. Oh, and welcome to TA, if a bit late.
    Forgot one: The Quest and its expansions, by Zarista Games and my second-favorite kitty, Catacomber. The graphics are nothing to write home about, pretty oldschool. But the gameplay is great and pretty deep.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Jack n Jill is a nice platformer. Just press the screen to jump. Great gameboy style graphics as well

8. Bullos

Bullos Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Welcome

Crashlands and Dawn of Crafting

You won’t be sorry :)
    I hope you find something you can enjoy and sorry for your loss.

9. coolpowers

coolpowers Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Indie developer
    Coralville / Iowa City
    Hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but did you enjoy twin-stick shooters like Geometry Wars? If so, send me a message here. I'm finally getting back to mobile dev (just updated all my old iOS games and made them 100% free - no ads, no IAP BS) and I've been working on something that could loosely be described as "like Geometry Wars but you can play one handed"

10. trialsbikeadam

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks guys!!! That's a great list!! If there's one positive about being late to the mobile gaming party, it's almost all these games are new to me! Lots of good choices out there, which is wayyy better than i could've hoped for!! Thank you :)

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Rustbucket is a delightful little gem.

12. The newish game called Beat Street is a brawler that can be played in portrait mode with one hand. It's pretty cool.

Also, if you are an RPG fan. I think all of the Dragon Quest iOS games can be played in portrait mode with one hand. Even the newer ones.

13. trialsbikeadam

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks ## my productivity at work is really gonna suffer this week at work while I try all these out :D

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
  15. trialsbikeadam

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks I’ll check it out!! ��