★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-09-2018, 11:44 PM
#21
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzinn View Post
I see it says the number of players 1-5. Hows this play as a single player? Do you play as more than one player or do you just play as one? Does that make it too hard?
Thanks in advance
You play all three players. I've only tried solitaire in this and the game has a severe balance problem. It is completely unwinnable on "easy." Seriously, I just reached 0-40 for my record. I don't know why I'm still trying, but I really like the books/show...
01-10-2018, 04:42 AM
#22
Joined: Jul 2016
Location: croatia
Posts: 310

Youtube link | Pop Up


Here is short tutorial

01-10-2018, 05:15 AM
#23
Joined: Oct 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan View Post
Seriously about to delete this stupid game. After reaching 0-40 on "easy" I've come to realize that the game is simply unwinnable. Very frustrating. What is the point of the Showdown? I spend my remaining Fate points (the ones I got for discarding cards late in the game because there are never enough Fate points to actually use any damn cards), to get a result of zero on every dice roll. In 40 games, I've removed two cards total in the Showdown, EVER.
Here are 4 images of my win statistics: https://imgur.com/a/4A28t
I always played on easy.
Every second/third game was won.
01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
#24
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Alien View Post
Here are 4 images of my win statistics: https://imgur.com/a/4A28t
I always played on easy.
Every second/third game was won.
How!?!
01-10-2018, 10:20 AM
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaniar View Post
In the base game you get 5 books, 3characters and 2 game other game modes called random book and side jobs.
You should have access to all 5 base characters (Harry Dresden, Karrin Murphy, Michael Carpenter, Susan Rodriguez, and Billy & Georgia) without any expansions - the same as the tabletop game and the version on Steam.
01-10-2018, 06:52 PM
#26
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 301
I Got A TIE!!!

Yes! I finally managed to get a tie 2-2 on "easy." Ok, I know a tie is still a loss in this stupid game, but hey, I still know I got a tie. Maybe one day, after about a hundred games, and a with huge amount of luck, I might actually WIN one!
01-11-2018, 06:15 AM
#27
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan View Post
Yes! I finally managed to get a tie 2-2 on "easy." Ok, I know a tie is still a loss in this stupid game, but hey, I still know I got a tie. Maybe one day, after about a hundred games, and a with huge amount of luck, I might actually WIN one!
I played at least 10 games on the Steam version and lost every time (Easy mode). Picked up the mobile version and won three of four games, beating three different books. Even won one without need of the Showdown. The game definitely takes solid planning and setting up each characters cards/Stunts to greatest effect.
01-11-2018, 03:04 PM
#28
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtalb1 View Post
I played at least 10 games on the Steam version and lost every time (Easy mode). Picked up the mobile version and won three of four games, beating three different books. Even won one without need of the Showdown. The game definitely takes solid planning and setting up each characters cards/Stunts to greatest effect.
That's it. I think more than anything else, this is a very tight resource management game. Especially when playing solo, once your initial 3 character hands are dealt, other than a tiny bit of randomness from a few die rolls and even fewer card draws, you can totally plot out your whole game plan from the first character's turn.

Also worth noting is there is no way you'll solve all the cases and kill all of the baddies in a given scenario, so at the very least try to prioritize which few cases and monsters you think you can safely clear.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 01-11-2018 at 03:07 PM.
01-11-2018, 05:35 PM
#29
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
That's it. I think more than anything else, this is a very tight resource management game. Especially when playing solo, once your initial 3 character hands are dealt, other than a tiny bit of randomness from a few die rolls and even fewer card draws, you can totally plot out your whole game plan from the first character's turn.

Also worth noting is there is no way you'll solve all the cases and kill all of the baddies in a given scenario, so at the very least try to prioritize which few cases and monsters you think you can safely clear.
I do that, but once you reach the Showdown, it's all luck from there. In the one game where I got a tie, I managed to get to the showdown with one case solved, two monsters left, and eight fate. I had two cases that only needed two more clues each to clear, so I spent four fates and cleared one, the other four fates, but didn't clear the second. Not sure what else I could have done. That marked the third time ever that I cleared anything in the Showdown. If you could start the game with about 5-10 more Fate, it would be doable. Unfortunately, they didn't test the balance of the game enough. Any game like this on "easy" should be winnable about 50% of the time. Then, if you want more challenge, they could have a "difficult" level matching the current "easy" level. This is the same problem that plagued Xenoshyft.
01-13-2018, 12:57 PM
#30
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 301
Wel, I'm sad to see this game go, but I see no point in continuing to play it until the developers do a little more testing for balance. The game is unwinnable in its current form. It is really a shame since there is so much potential there, but just a little testing would have reveleled the insufficient Fate problem. I'd even pay for an IAP for "Winnable Game" at this point, but otherwise, it's getting deleted. Sad.