★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is there a way to delete the iOS 7 update from my iPad?

10-18-2013, 07:59 PM
#31
Looks very VERY tempting but looking at the comments it's bricked several peoples machines.. Not a chance I'm willing to take right now

Last iOS game I bought: 6/1/15
10-20-2013, 05:02 AM
#32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
Looks very VERY tempting but looking at the comments it's bricked several peoples machines.. Not a chance I'm willing to take right now
After taking a closer look at those comments, I deleted the link in my previous post. Nobody should attempt that. It would appear that article is 3+ months old based on some of the comments. That may have worked in the beta version of iOS7 with the previous iTunes, but it does not appear to be working anymore.

Stay with 7.

Last edited by SlightReturn; 10-20-2013 at 05:09 AM.

10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
#33
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,635
Just stumbled over this thread... maybe you could use iExplorer, access the root system and simply delete the iOS7 install package?

But that's a policy I hate. Apple literally forces the update into our machines and in out faces. Not a nice way to treat loyal customers.
I still got XP on my PC installed and I am happy with it. I'd personally kick Bill's butt when he would force Windows 8 on my PC.

But there's an other option to get rid if the iOS7 install package.

Open Settings->General->Software Update, Click "Install Now". There will be a prompt says "Verifying update...", Wait until this prompt disappear, there will be a spinning wheel on the black background. Immediately press and hold both of the power and home buttons at the same time. DO NOT release the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds. Your device will reboot. It's done. The automatically downloaded firmware will have been deleted.

I think I read that somewhere in an Apple forum and people confirmed that it works.
To block a future automatic download, you need either to keep your device below 3.1GB (then the button says "download & install iOS7)) or disable some push notifications. That's the way how it automatically gets on your device.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 10-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
11-18-2013, 05:11 PM
#34
How to remove the Update Package and an Unhappy Apple User.

The iOS 7 update is very flat, blank and just fugly to me as well. I love change. Not this change. Jobs (Apple) did very well with iOS 6. Until it's come back to that or Jailbreaking also includes an iOS 6 theme, I won't install the bland 7.

There was a previous post about using the remaining storage on your device to "get rid of" the iOS Install Package that's using your storage space. It does do as the poster suggested. I prefer to use the Camera to do it....but, you could also use iTunes to import movies...or whatever large files you like.
After that, use Airplane mode to stop the automatic download AND it charges faster. Not that I'm concerned about the "speed" at all, yet, it's helpful.

Apple...not so cool tactics! I love Mavericks, and the Multiple Desktops (I remember the Amiga very well)..but if you continue to adopt the bland and ugly look...I'll just go to Linux and Windows. Argh, I do not like Windows 8 either. I hope they get out of this "bland" mode Companies are in. Tiles...Belch! There is a better way to attempt Ty-Die which is really cool.
11-19-2013, 08:35 AM
#35
I installed it on my iPhone 4 and actually really like it. I did do a restore to install it (was previously jailbroken) and after installing it my phone is faster, not slower. In terms of look it's a bit hit or miss, but overall it looks great in practice. And I love all the improvements. So far I don't really miss my jailbreak.

I haven't installed on my iPad 2 yet, but will do so when I have the time (it's also jailbroken, so requires a restore).
11-20-2013, 05:45 AM
#36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Just stumbled over this thread... maybe you could use iExplorer, access the root system and simply delete the iOS7 install package?

But that's a policy I hate. Apple literally forces the update into our machines and in out faces. Not a nice way to treat loyal customers.
I still got XP on my PC installed and I am happy with it. I'd personally kick Bill's butt when he would force Windows 8 on my PC.

But there's an other option to get rid if the iOS7 install package.

Open Settings->General->Software Update, Click "Install Now". There will be a prompt says "Verifying update...", Wait until this prompt disappear, there will be a spinning wheel on the black background. Immediately press and hold both of the power and home buttons at the same time. DO NOT release the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds. Your device will reboot. It's done. The automatically downloaded firmware will have been deleted.

I think I read that somewhere in an Apple forum and people confirmed that it works.
To block a future automatic download, you need either to keep your device below 3.1GB (then the button says "download & install iOS7)) or disable some push notifications. That's the way how it automatically gets on your device.
That is evil. That means that I will never be able to install XCom on my iPad 2...
01-05-2014, 09:34 AM
#37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Just stumbled over this thread... maybe you could use iExplorer, access the root system and simply delete the iOS7 install package?

But that's a policy I hate. Apple literally forces the update into our machines and in out faces. Not a nice way to treat loyal customers.
I still got XP on my PC installed and I am happy with it. I'd personally kick Bill's butt when he would force Windows 8 on my PC.

But there's an other option to get rid if the iOS7 install package.

Open Settings->General->Software Update, Click "Install Now". There will be a prompt says "Verifying update...", Wait until this prompt disappear, there will be a spinning wheel on the black background. Immediately press and hold both of the power and home buttons at the same time. DO NOT release the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds. Your device will reboot. It's done. The automatically downloaded firmware will have been deleted.

I think I read that somewhere in an Apple forum and people confirmed that it works.
To block a future automatic download, you need either to keep your device below 3.1GB (then the button says "download & install iOS7)) or disable some push notifications. That's the way how it automatically gets on your device.
Can anyone confirm that this method works?

To iPadisGreat: put XCOM on right after you remove the update and without being on wifi AND power at the same time.
01-06-2014, 06:14 AM
#38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechCongo View Post
Can anyone confirm that this method works?

To iPadisGreat: put XCOM on right after you remove the update and without being on wifi AND power at the same time.
My solution was to just buy another iPad. Besides I also ultimately update my iPad 2 to iOS 7 as the difference in interface between my iDevices was annoying.
01-06-2014, 10:39 AM
#39
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
My solution was to just buy another iPad. Besides I also ultimately update my iPad 2 to iOS 7 as the difference in interface between my iDevices was annoying.
That's a great idea. I'll just buy another iPad!

Why didn't I think of that?

Oh yeah... because I don't have that kind of money, Mr. Moneybags

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
01-06-2014, 11:05 AM
#40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
That's a great idea. I'll just buy another iPad!

Why didn't I think of that?

Oh yeah... because I don't have that kind of money, Mr. Moneybags
Seriously. And then he upgraded his old iPad to iOS 7 anyway! :/

I don't suppose you tried the turn-off-while-upgrading trick, MasterChief? Sounds like a 4chan prank to get people to brick their devices which is why I haven't yet. I can deal with less usable space until I decide to jailbreak my mini. My mini is what I play more "modern" games on; my 3GS is still rocking iOS 4.3.5.