Can you put purchasable content into a free app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by farley, Aug 26, 2009.

1. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Very quick question for the devs here:

Can you put in-app purchasable content into a free app?

So for example, give a basic game away for free, then allow players to buy upgrades within the game.

Thanks.

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

No, you cannot. Apple does not allow this. You'd have to charge a minimum of 99 cents for it if you want DLC.

3. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Thanks for the answer.

I suspected as much, but I thought I'd ask to confirm anyway.

4. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    What if you change the price of the app?

5. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    +1 I'm wondering the same thing.

6. wildex999

wildex999 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Student
    Norway
    #6 wildex999, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Now why would they do something stupid like that? Having in-game purchasable content is the perfect alternate way to earn money on a free game. =S

Example: Giving away an online game for free, but the player needs to buy a premium account for, say 0.99, and then through the shop api having our own servers verify this and allow online play.

EDIT: I'll break in with a question I can't seem to find the answer to:
    What price ranges does the in-app store accept? Does it allow for free items?

7. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

I think you've got the reason right there. I think they want it clear up front that it is a paid app so that you don't get "but I thought it was free" complaints.

8. wildex999

wildex999 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Student
    Norway
    Well, I was thinking more in the line of: Download the full game, but it's in trial mode until you activate it, maybe apple can give some indication of this approach before the user downloads the game or something. The thing with this approach is the fact than you can use your own servers to verify that the user actually has bought the game if they try to use any online functions, something that I have yet to see without the shop api.
    Since all games have to be reviewed, why can't they also just check if any free games are abusing the in-game shop as well?