Re-downloading Promo Code Downloads?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Jun 26, 2011.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Often (but not always) if game is downloaded with a promo code it will not let you leave a review because it was not "purchased." In these cases, can you delete and redownload without being charged for the item? ...Or will you be charged for an intial purchase if you attempt to re-download after deletion an App that was originally from a promo code? Any idea how Apple tracks this?

It seems petty and I'm glad to support for games I enjoy but every now and again I need to delete to make room but might want to re-install. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    1. If you download from the iTune store by redeem code, you can review it.
    2. If you sync with iTune store, you can un-install and then install it again.
    3. If you redeem by your iDevice, you cannot review it but you can re-download it for free.
    4. If you have updated iOS, you can find "PURCHASED" in the updated area. You will see which apps you had purchased. You can click on the CLOUD to download it again.

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks rogerchiu!

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Nope

5. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    I notice that there are some promo codes redeemed on iTunes can review and some are not able to review it.

6. best

best Well-Known Member

Yes you can. i did that on a several games from the promo code subforum

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    you can review a game you got with a promo code, so long as you review it within an hour of using your promo code... at least that's how it is in the US appstore... if you wait longer, you can not write a review... no matter where you used your promo code.

8. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Actually i think apple made it a few weeks ago that if you use a promo-code you cant review it.

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
  10. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Using icloud you can always redownload all of your purchased and redeemed apps. They are all in a nice list on your device or even in iTunes.

I was experimenting with promo code downloads at the beginning and now I have one of our free games 40 times in my icloud :D

You can review promo codes if you redeemed in iTunes on your PC and not on your iDevice. I don't think there is a time restriction, but I can't tell for sure.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've reviewed games in the AppStore that I got using a promo code on my device, so long as it's in the time frame... in the US store, it doesn't matter where you use the code, so long as you write a review within the time-limit apple gives you...

12. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I am not sure, you are right.
    Since apple changed its policy about promo codes, I have tested redeeming and reviewing the codes on both, PC and iDevice and I tried immediatelly and it worked on the PC, but not on the iDevice...

13. KaloFinger

KaloFinger Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Dreamland
    Yes, I've reviewed games downloaded by promo codes, I'm sure.

14. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    In the last few weeks?

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So perhaps there is a time-limit for when reviews can be posted (or not); but does everyone generally agree with Rogerchiu that promo code downloads can be re-downloaded without charge?

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    lol... yeah, sorry for getting off-topic... promo code downloads can be re-downloaded without charge.