(Sharing) What does being a Top Ranked App in the US means

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by touchten, Jul 11, 2010.

1. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Hi guys,

Recently we did a combination of promotion and some updates that our fans commented, and was pleased to find out that
    since Friday our game

ranked #8 in the Overall Free Apps section in the US App Store

Our game name is Sushi Chain Lite (check it out yourself)

and it did significantly increase our Paid apps performance (I mean REALLY REALLY increased the earnings!!)

now, We are planning to Share with you fellow developers
    because we know how important these types of info is for you (and I)

We want to release a PDF type of report that answers these burning questions

1. How many downloads are needed to be #8 in the " super competitive" Top free Overall apps in the US Store

2. What does being #8 means in terms of

a. Admob earnings
    b. Paid apps performance (monies)

This will be a free thorough report with fancy graphs, and why are we doing this you say?

Because we know it would mean something to you guys, and that is what we human do right? helping each other.. that is what we do, right? Right..

3. and if you are lucky, we would reveal our promotion methods too;)

Well I just need a show of hands.. well, you dont have to lift your hand now...Just post a few comments or some questions in this thread, to show me how many people are interested in this

Thank you for the kind attention

Anton

TouchTen.com
    By developer to developer

2. Registeel

Registeel Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I have just lifted my hand to show how much I want you to make it

3. demarca

demarca Active Member

May 29, 2010
    Both hands up, writing with my nose :D

4. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Congratulations on your success! Can you tell us a little bit about your background? Does Sushi Chain represent your first foray into the app store? Also, how much time and energy did you spend on marketing and promoting your app? How does this compare to the time and energy you spent developing your app? What do you think you did right and what do you think you did wrong or is it still too early to tell? Finally, what are your future plans?

Thank you very much for any information you are willing to share and best wishes for continued success in the app store :)

5. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Always looking for new methods of promotion -- but even posting your numbers is incredibly helpful! It's great that more developers are wanting to share their experience. Thank you very much for doing this.

6. touchten

Nov 10, 2009
    Anyone else interested?

Registeel and Demarca you both are funny! :)

dansu, I will answer all your question in the report, thanks for asking! More please!

Revolving door, you are welcome,
    I would like to hire you for your 2D art, for our upcoming game project, would you be interested?

Thanks all

anyone else?

Anton

7. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

As long as you're interested in sharing, I think I speak for the majority of developers: Sure, let's see your data! Every game is different, every case is special, but there is always something to be learned from success of others. ;)

8. demarca

demarca Active Member

May 29, 2010
    Wait few more hours, the USA is sleeping now :)

I'm very interested in your strategy regarding the lite version. I can see you have 3 stages there, out of... how many? Can you give some percentages comparing to full version?

Marek

9. touchten

Nov 10, 2009
    sure, I want to do it for the community :)

WOW USA is sleeping but my rank is going up, hoping to break the Top 50 Overall paid ranking soon then! finger crossed... (currently hovering at 100-101)

well the difference is paid version gives 15 exciting stages, compared to the 3 introductory stages :)

But so far I was lucky, the comments from downloaders and fans alike (genuine comment not the destructive ones) said that the 3 stages makes them "hunger for more" maybe that's why

10. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Always willing to discuss a new project. Feel free to PM me or send me an email at [email protected]. Looking forward to hearing from you!

11. kgutteridge

kgutteridge Active Member

Aug 31, 2009
    would be very interested to hear your story, congratulations as well!

12. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I would love to see some stats. I've been thinking about possibly making an app... would love to see this :D

13. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Ummm I can tell you our experience ;)

Tiki Totems Premium during OpenFeint's FGOTD promotion achieved top 5 free apps in US with 230.000-235.000 daily downloads and remained there for 2 days. In 7 days when the game was free we had just north of a million downloads

Good luck on the sales to the OP !

14. touchten

Nov 10, 2009
    Hi,

may we know when was this?
    which month and year?

thanks

anton

15. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    ummm a week ago ;)

16. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Count me in. It'd be really interesting to read, especially how your free downloads helped your paid app.

17. chandler55

chandler55 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    im down for any cool info

18. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

In regards to free promotion, we used FAAD, stayed free for 5 days and peaked at the #2 free game, getting about 100-150k downloads/day (about a month ago). Before going free we were at 1.99 and seeing less then stellar numbers, but we had leveled off at least. After going free, we dropped the price to .99 and for the first 2 weeks we saw about 7-9x the profit we had leveled off at. Now, 30 days later, we are still earning about 3x the daily profit then we did before we did the free campaign and it looks like we have completely leveled off (though of course there is a revenue share with FAAD for these 30 days -- but if we stay where we're at right now, we're in a much better position then we were before going free).

That being said, I honestly don't believe that going free will do anything for you unless you are able to get top 10 free game and get at least 500k to a million downloads during the free campaign.

19. touchten

Nov 10, 2009
    couldnt agree more with you..

personally I am pro getting your lite up there rather than forsaking your high ranking, and "hope" for your current customer base to tell your friend to buy the game..

BUT having said that, I know it works for some people..

and congrats to you Foursaken_Media

20. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Hey, when do you suspect you will be releasing this PDF? Will it be public post on here? Or a PM on here? I can't wait. :D