Is Shilling an acceptable marketing strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SarcasticGamer, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Is Shilling a valid marketing tool?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2010.
  1. Yes, it is a valid marketing tool

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. No, I stand against this sort of marketing

96 vote(s)
    74.4%
  3. I don't care as long as I enjoy the game.

19 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Over the week I received pms from devs or their supporters asking me to lay off on 'shillers' They asked me to understand and that it was hard enough to be a developer this days. So I want the communities input in this one : Given the competitive market and the indies lack of budget for a marketing campaign is Shilling an acceptable marketing strategy?

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    wtf this is such bullshit lol
    Anyone else get PMs from indies asking them to lay off shillers?

Shilling is not acceptable though

3. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
  4. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Shilling=Absolute crap.

Promoting your game is a must. But giving reviews to your own game just proves that you don't have confidence in your skills as a developer.

5. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    I got 3 pm over the week, of course I am the likely target of this pm given what I am doing :)

Also to give you guys an overview of shilling, Sony did a failed Viral Marketing for the PSP 3-4 xmas ago. It's a youtube video of a white guy rapping about 'how he want's a psp for xmas', someone did a research and trace the video back to marketing firm hired by sony :D

6. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    #6 da shiz wiz 19, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Someone answer me this: Has anyone been contacted by inde devs and their supporters asking them to lay off shillers (except Azreal, and SarcasticGamer)?

Anyone? I have never been told to. But it is obvious at times a few devs are shilling due to similar grammatical errors and style of writing.

7. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    What are you uptight about son? I have but that is beside the point, a growing number of devs are shilling nowadays just look at the appstore reviews of lest know titles, you will see a game that is just release that have 5 star review already almost instantly.

8. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I am uptight about this because this is such bullshit. I have NEVER been contacted to lay off shillers. That would be the dumbest move by a dev ever. Yes I agree shilling is bad, but not the bullshit you're sprouting. All you're trying to do is defame indies as a whole. You've done it before.

9. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #9 sid187, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    i always take the first reviews as being family and friends reviews.. take it for what it is iguess.

one thing is for sure.. ill tell you what i think.. but i also try to add constructive advice too.. because pure negative feed back is really no help to anyone.. so if you just gonna slam a app.. like i see on the appstore reviews.. like

"this app sucks" well if i was the dev.. that sure would not help me figure out how to make it better. etc.

shilling fails. but im sure it goes on.

and you know i think dev's should be happy how generous die hard gamers are on here willing to beta test give there input.. thats how they can compete with the big boys.. so i think TA is great.. and i give a pat on the back to the guys who help devs try to make there games better. yeah i know some devs will not listen.. well cant please everyone.
    chris.

10. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Agreed. Indie devs have never even contacted ME about shilling. :rolleyes: Or Hodapp, or arn, or any other website, for that matter. That'd just be stupid. And who are you? You're not famous; TA isn't somewhere where ALL the indie devs are, so you're just spouting some bull-ass-shit right now.

11. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Kunning let me forward you my pm but only if you promise full confidentiality, I trust you man!

12. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Just one? You said "pms" implying it's plural. Dumbshit, at least lie convincingly.

13. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    A minute ago you are implying that there is none, now you are implying that there is only one! I have 3 pms but I dont feel like forwarding them all. And are you saying the shilling is not being done at all here?

14. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Full confidentiality? And yet you're posting your offer to show him the PM on a forum that anyone can access?

That's sure keeping the cat in the bag. If it's true.

15. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    PM him all of them. You said PMs (plural) yet you're only showing one?
    ACHOO Sorry I'm allergic to bullpoop.jpg

16. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yeah, yeah. Show it to me.

17. kahdmus

kahdmus Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Its complete bullshit and will backfire when discovered...

18. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    PM sent.

If I want to defame anyone I would have taken the screens post it here for all to see! I just want everybody's take on this one.

19. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Then send it to everyone -_-
    or post it here so I can see it

20. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    you can't tell me what to do kid. Even you must admit it's happening and focusing on dafaming me about getting pms is not going to make it go away!