Warhammer

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dankrio, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Is warhammer series worh getting into? I've seen a lot of games, but I don't get what they are about.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Warhammer comes in a few flavors. I'll give a basic outline of 40k here.

----------------------Warhammer 40k-------------------------------

Warhammer 40k takes place in the 41st millenium. The empire that man held has been shattered, it's icon stuck on life support requiring 1000 sacrifices a day to simply carry on. His efforts are falling apart for as valiant as heroes of man may be they are facing an insular war against administrative rot and factionalism. Not even the great space marines are immune to this, paragons of battle they may be but not invincible. And definately corruptable.

Chaos consumes entire planets to the point where inqusitors have the authority to doom one on the spot should they feel it nessecary to keep the taint from spreading. Their insidious designs are only held back by their own factionalism and the bulwark of billions giving their lives each day to hold it back.

The tyranids overrun entires systems in an unending horde of teeth and claw guiding by the hive mind towards only one goal. The orks simply seek nothing but war, only wishing to have the eternal fight. The necron dynaties are reawakening and reclaiming their lost empire moving from their tomb worlds on.

The eldar had the grandest of empire but in their decadence created a faction of chaos in an immensely tragic error. Now split between a few planets and their sadistic bretheren they struggle for survival lamenting the lost glory.

The Tau are a new empire expanding into the galaxy. Possesing advanced technology they attract many in a culture which allows multiple alien races to cone together. For now though they face a Tyranid hive and humanity's crusade against them.

The galaxy is burning. Humanity is rotting away. The eldar are fading. Yet there are still heroes. For however hopeless it may seem there are still those willing to hold the line against chaos. They have done so for a over thousand years.

3. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    saansilt, thanks for the info. The scenerio seems interesting.

What about the games? Are they RPS or every game is different? There's a story mode with an ending and objective or the focus is on combat, multiplayer etc?

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I played Warhammer Quest (WHQ) and Space Hulk quite extensively, and just started on Arcane Magic.
    All 3 are heavily combat focused turn-based team tactics games.
    WHQ has the most in terms of story and objectives/ending, Arcane Magic looks like it has the least (aka non-existent) . Space Hulk is somewhere in between, with small background stories for each campaign and mission.

I'm more into Warhammer 40k (Science Fiction) than into Fantasy, and mostly read fanfiction. I like the overall universe, but many of the official novels etc. are... let's say not exactly Pulitzer material ;)
    Both worlds/settings are - sometimes hilariously - over-the-top / cranked-up-to-11 , and of course GRIMDARK(TM). 40k even more so than Fantasy.
    While some of the fanfiction - admittedly there is a lot of crap out there - is outright awesome and beats the official stuff hands down.

If you are interested, I can dig through my links and recommend some reading.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    To add to this, there's a miniature figures game that's been out since i could remember, so the SRPG format in the games were somewhat expected as they are, in one form or another, a reiteration of that.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #6 Nullzone, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Well, I took that as a given, that folks know that Warhammer is a tabletop miniature game ;) (several ones, actually, with spinoffs etc.)
    Not sure about Arcane Magic, but WHQ and Space Hulk both are boardgames originally, too.

7. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014

Thanks for the info!

I would love to, but, unfortunately, I can't get into intensive reading at the moment. :(

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No worries, most of the better fanfictions are short, not brick-sized novels. And if you don't get around to them these days, save them for later ;)

This guy's stuff is a great start https://www.fanfiction.net/u/650148/Lord-Ironwolf . I found the "Pondsworth & Griggs" WH40k stories pretty hilarious. "Can You Give More?" is very simple and moving heroics.

Grendel is fun, but decidely longer than a screen page or two: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Guy_Who_Cried_Grendel

Oh, and "Love and Krieg" of course. Also somewhere on 1d4chan. But that one's long, you've been warned ;) and IMO drops in quality in the last third or so.

Niesenn Red-Hand is about the best Warhammer Fantasy fanfic I currently know: http://www.incunabulum.co.uk/LessonsInBlood.htm

The official book "The Laughter of Dark Gods" had a few good WH Fantasy short stories, but unfortunately seems to be out of print: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/Laughter-of-Dark-Gods-The.html

Those are just the ones that come to mind without digging through my links.
    If anyone's interested, I am pretty sure I have more.

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thank you very much for that. Gonna look into some of those, for sure!

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    My pleasure ;) Let me know which ones you liked / didn't like, curious how my taste holds up.

11. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Warhammer 40k ...another soon to be obsessed!

Man...lemme tell ya, if you like RTS, strat RPGS, tactical RPGS, action adventure/3rd person and soon first person shooters, MMORPGFPS...WELL WH40k covers all these bases. If u have an IOS DEVICE definitely check out the latest tactical RPG...WH40k: Deathwatch Tyranid invasion...amazingly fun..not much of a story there unless you just know the lore though. Also..very similar on IOS Is Space Wolf. If you have a PC...just go to steam and look up "WARHAMMER 40,0000" and feel like a toy r us kid again. My personal favs are he original WH40k : Dawn of War series, and with a real time tactical RPG twist check out Dawn of War 2 and the expansions...great fun, gear looting and leveling plus strategy, great story line, and cinematics, voice acting, and other story board goodies too. Space Marine is on Xbox 360 and PS 3 and my personal fav platform PC.. This puts you in the third person shooter role with a chain sword....and various other gun and me lee upgrades along the way..good story and acting etc....there is literally SO much more but these are your first stops I would say. As for reading, I would personally start with the Space wolves chapter novels..perfect intro into the lore and what it really IS to be a space marine...they are seen as gods to the "lower" folk of the world...flying dragons and sorcery...that all should keep ya busy for about a year #

Let me know what you think after you try some of these suggestions.

Tyche.