Orca vs. Great White

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
    #1 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    "remarkably lifelike movements, from the twitch of his tail to the depths of his dives"

-National Geographic

"Putting us in the shoes (or, more accurately, fins, hooves, and paws) of various virtual critters helps us see the real world from a number of unique perspectives. "

-Kotaku

"Move over, Goat Simulator; a new game is looking to dethrone your spot as the ultimate animal physics experience.... a huge draw will simply be the fun of playing with the physics of the animals"

-The Escapist

video to follow soon

avail on >= iPhone 4s, iPad2 . Coming end of Aug. No IAP. No Ads.

2. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #2 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    I Am Dolphin Video

more gameplay video to follow upon request.

3. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Day One Buy!

But, are you seriously going with 'Orca Vs Great White'?

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #4 bigrand1, Aug 13, 2014
    Coulda sworn it's 'I Am Dolphin'.
    Regardless, this looks awesome and I can't wait to grab this ASAP!
    And no IAP or ads?! Yeah man!

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I feel so sorry for those dolphins in the aquarium, they belong to the ocean, nowhere else

6. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I agree. Tell that to Sea World! Should close it down!
    But seriously, I doubt if any animals were harmed or mistreated in the making of this game!:D

7. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #7 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 13, 2014
    Tense Gameplay Moments

Advanced physics simulation runs 100% animation. Each enemy category (single fish, pack of fish, single shark, pack of shark) has unique ai to master in order to defeat.

(turn up volume)

Hammerhead, Tiger, Bull, Blue, BlackTip Reef, Lemon, Mako, Great White sharks (and many more), each with unique intelligence, speed, agility, and fighting style.

Choose between Bandit (Bottlenose Dolphin), Zoey (Orca), or Simon (Commersons dolphin) to play, each with unique physics and motor dynamics.

$2.99 - all content. No iap. No ads :cool:.

8. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'm gonna be liking this! However, no whale would eat another fish or animal tail first like in the video. Just sayin'. No biggie I guess. Most people won't notice.
    Wish I could play this now!!:D

9. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    I Am Dolphin Game Icon

This will be the game icon for

I Am
    Dolphin

[​IMG]

Screenshot from Bandit (bottlenose dolphin) vs. Mako Shark. The Mako is about to dart forward and bite - you have a split second here to either turn inwards and bite first, dart away, or carefully move so the Mako does not have enough hydrodynamic drag to turn into you.

[​IMG]

10. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #10 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Battle Gameplay

Short battle, Bandit (Bottlenose Dolphin) VS Rainbow Runner. The Rainbow runner here has a very low intelligence so its a fairly easy kill for a practiced finger-swipe - but still evades skillfully. Most fish-battles have multiple fish, are far more intelligent (coordinate strategically), and bite back. This is a good video of physics/dynamics of the dolphin. All motion and animation is generated from physics. Zero canned animations. It has virtual muscles, bones, and we even modeled the hydrodynamics of the water. In short, its visceral. You "feel" the physics intensely. Boosting is controlled by tapping on the left of the screen. Movement is swipe.

11. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I Am Impatient. For this to release.
    #

12. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Countdown the release day now!!!

13. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I prefer 100% realistic models over cartoony eyed ones I'm seeing in the vids. The animation blew me away....its just them eyes..lol.

14. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #14 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Top down, sharks perspective with some morphing (excuse the crudeness, this is an old video. Much more polished now but don't have time to cut one as we are gearing up to release any day now). I may let you be a shark in updates - and do a "top down" "Card" (This will all make sense as I release the actual gamplay and battle flow).

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Can you play without any fighting, just swim around and enjoy the - hopefully existing - scenery? My 3year old would like that, I think.

16. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I really like the icon!!

17. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    concept sketches

Some concept sketches for a few Shark nemeses. Every shark in the game has unique dynamics, and enhanced characteristics but based upon some traits we studied. So, for example, sharks that are more electrically sensitive we use as a trait to attack when you have jerky movements.
    [​IMG]

18. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #18 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    The game is not intended for 3 year olds (however, some random cards (will explain soon) will allow you to free jump which is a lot of fun, do aerial acrobatics, and also easily eat as many fish as you can). This is an edge of your seat type battle game where you explore movement, predation, sea creatures, and being prey. It is not about scenery exploration. It is about movement/dynamics exploration.

While coding/debugging, on a number of occasions I've been swimming looking (debugging) and a shark with a certain behavior (I forgot was in there) would dart up from underneath and scare the (*@*#& out of me. That's what we are aiming for - adrenaline and emotion - An intense experience where you really "feel" being a predator (and the satisfaction) and prey. The artwork is cute because that fits our overall ethos. Its lots of action, but we try to keep it as tasteful as we can.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Dolphin: thanks a lot for the reply! Too bad it's a fighting game, well for my kid at least ;)
    Overall it does sound quite interesting, might give it a shot myself once it's out.

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Love the concept of the fishes too much. How long did you draw a fish?