Best handheld gaming device!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lerisbo1192, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    #1 Lerisbo1192, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Hi guys! I've been playing on my iphone for 6 years now and after being a bit turned off by the direction mobile gaming is taking lately (especially after the huge success of the recent spiderman game from gameloft or dungeon keeper), as hardore gamer, i started looking for alternative ways of gaming on the go (not dropping ios gaming thought). AND i found the MICROSOFT SURFACE PRO 2. well i never was interested in microsoft tablets but i have to admit THIS IS THE REAL DEAL. the surface pro 2 can run EVERY single pc game on a decent resolution and even if you lower the effects (of course you'll need to do that to get the best framerate out of many games) it still looks on par with ps3/x360 graphics and sometimes runs even smoother. here is a footage of titanfall running flawlessly!! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febIiWXdqe8 ) look at the other videos on that channel, just look at all the crazy games this guys is playing on his tablet with that weird controller attachment. also because the system used is windows you can plan with ANY controller you want!! and for more portability, like with your ipad, YOU CAN USE TOUCH CONTROLS WITH EVERY SINGLE GAME using the software GESTUREWORKS!! it allows you to buid (yourself) the ideal and most suitabe controls you want for every games. it uses virtual pads, analogs, buttons, SWIPES, TAPS and TILT (thats crazy!!), you choose the loction/size/opacity and you can even download (for free) controls made by other users on their website. here's a quick video about it: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1wiTngb9s ).

i'm just letting you know there are other ways. i still can't believe i'm hearing about this just now! anyway i'll be trying this solution and i'll let you know my impressions in the coming days. Now lets close this with a video of someone playing rayman on a tablet with touch controls and actally being able to stop running. (eventhough i like rayman jungle/fiesta run)

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for the info :)

3. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Wow just wow!!!
    Thanks for sharing this.
    I was thinking something more like a ps vita or a 3ds but this is amazing.

4. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    you're all welcome guys. for the 3ds its not really my type and i had a vita but i ended up selling it because of the lack of interesting games (for me) so those aren't really an option. and the thing i like the most about this particular solution is that it comes with the biggest catalog of hardcore games you can expect, which are pc games!

5. Cronchigon

Cronchigon Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I have this. The only thing I don't like is, that it's very heavy for a tablet

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, but that device is like a thousand bucks, isn't it? I see your points and all, but for me, I'll stick with my ipad4 with 128GB for now. ;)

7. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Be careful though, this thing is really pricey and battery life simply sucks.
    3ds is not my type too. I'm gonna wait for a little while. Maybe vita will get some new games.

8. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Surface Pro is a mini PC in tablet form while the non pro version is a pure tablet thats locked to windows app store.

Surface Pro does cost over twice as much as a iPad Air.

You can get a better desktop gaming PC for the same money.

While this software lets you get touch controls to most games that would be a awful experience since all pc games are made for Keyboard and Mouse.

I would never in a million years buy a Surface Pro for gaming.

9. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    i get what you mean. but presently i'm using an ipad air with a controller, i also have a gaming computer with a 360 contoller so basically i already have the controller for the surface pro. i was talking about touch controls for more portability. plus there is an extremely huge amount of pc games with simplistic controls that will work very well on touchscreen (sf4, indies platormers, etc...) and i can't see why we can't play call of duty or battlefield the same way we play modern combat or dead trigger? As for the price...yeah you're right its quite pricey, i'm about to get a new one for 700$ and thats a good deal but eventhougth its very expensive. and thats even the reason why i still haven't bought it yet. i'm still reconsidering it.

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Had a feeling you might come around! :D

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah... League of Legends on tablet isnt so far away anymore :D

I mean touch can be move, and then there are the skills icons you can tap and target so it doesnt have to be too complicated. You wont be as nimble with skill combos (like lee sin's ward hops or ahri's random charms and reactively connect with DFG, and everything in her arsenal), but this is definitely nice to be able to ply LOL on-the-go.

And... Diablo 3. :D

12. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Personally I have iPad Mini Retina, 3DS XL and an iPhone 5S. I have considered the OP's solution but could not justify the price so I went for the iPad instead. All I want a PC gaming system for is full vanilla Minecraft though. Budget blown on the mini so I guess I'm waiting a couple of years for Mojang to get round to giving us the full game on my iPad.

Out of my three portable devices I love the iPad mini retina the most for gaming. I've been playing games on iPhone since the 3G and I could not believe how id managed with such a small screen for so long once I got the iPad. I have occasional moments where I wish id got a full sized iPad but on the whole I think the mini is easier to hold for long periods and this outweighs the benefits of a larger screen for me.

Currently enjoying Baldurs Gate, FTL, Shadowrun Returns and Frozen Synapse. All the titles I could not play on my iPhone.

Luckily my IPad mini R came with 7.0.4 so if they don't bring out a full size Bluetooth controller for iPad soon I will jailbreak it so I can hook my PS3 controller up.

13. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    yeah the mini is probably a better gaming device. i mean i like playing on the air's bigger screen even to the point where i don't anymore enjoy that much playing on my iphone. but the ipad feel a bit too big for me, playing on it doesn't really feel natural! the ipad mini seems to have the perfect size! my next ipad will be a mini version.

14. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    i'm definitely getting the pro 2 this week! i just feel like i have to try it!! i'll let you know when i get my hands on it!

15. Lerisbo1192

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    Why are you talking about a gaming pc? Just for you know a gaming pc is far from being playable on the go! Trust me i have one, i know what i'm talking about. The surface pro 2 has a hd 4400. And its 2 pounds while the air is 1 pound. I dont think twice the ipad air's weight is a big deal ( at least it isn't for me). And yeah its expensive, i'm not saying "go get yourselves a surface pro 2"! Like i said i jusd found it pretty cool and i'll try because i can afford that and i have a pretty good deal for 700$. On top of all that if i'm not satisfied by the experience i can still sell it (like i do with all the devices i stop using). Having pc games on the go has always been a dream for me so i'll judge by myself if the surface can provide me that. if it works just half as great as i think it does then it'll be worth it (for me). And where you see "so many hoops to get the game working with the touchscreen", me i see the perfect occasion to finally costumize my touch controls to make them the absolute way i want them to be and which is best suited for me, not for the average mobile gamer.

16. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mine would be my ever-so-useful iPhone, in which I can't go a day without using since I've had it. My second choice would be a PS Vita, as not only the really entertaining games, but the ability to download old PSP games I used to play for the nostalgia .