★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
05-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Hey everyone, great news!

Version 1.1.1 was approved this morning and pushed out live to the app store!

It will take a few hours to hit all territories, so keep an eye out! It looks like it is live in parts of the US store, so just look at the version number in the store and if it's 1.1.1, you're good to go!

You will be able to play on the 1.1 or the 1.1.1 servers for right now. Once the 1.1.1 update is live everywhere for a day or so, I'll take down the 1.1 server and you'll be forced to update when you connect online with an old version of the game.

I'll also be pushing the Android build live in a few minutes, so I'll be fairly busy watching server logs and making sure everything is running smoothly for the rest of the day!
05-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Location: Somewhere in a town in the middle of the Amazon jungle.
Now I know what will keep me busy while I download Super Hydorah!

Thanks for the update. Will give it a go once it's done downloading (might take a while, two hours perhaps xD) and come back with some feedback x99+

05-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebgo View Post
Thanks for the update. Will give it a go once it's done downloading (might take a while, two hours perhaps xD) and come back with some feedback x99+
You have been crushing that leaderboard! I'll be interested to see if you are climb higher with this update, or if the speed balance with the multipliers might make it hard to reach your old high score. I'll be keeping an eye out either way. Thanks for your support!
05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat the Moon View Post
You have been crushing that leaderboard! I'll be interested to see if you are climb higher with this update, or if the speed balance with the multipliers might make it hard to reach your old high score. I'll be keeping an eye out either way. Thanks for your support!
Ha! I'm very interested in checking that speed balance and how it'll affect my gameplay... but, as long as the multiplier reset button exists, I think I can keep control of the speed and how it affects the score =P

Update is almost done downloading but I'm at work, so I can't play it right away.

And about the leaderboard, I think that right now I'm holding back with the scoring...

I have a question: How does Steampunk Panic manage user accounts? I saw there's this player ID number, but the game isn't linked to LameCenter as far as I know (I've never seen the "Welcome" banner show up). This came to my mind when I thought of something like "what if I change my device? Will I be able to use "sebgo" in the new one?"

It's not like I'm planning to get a new device soon, though, since I got my current toy less than 4 months ago...

Edit: Well, after updating, I launch the game and it says version 1.1... then I check AppStore and there's "another" available update... xD

Last edited by sebgo; 05-16-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: AppStore sucks sometimes...
05-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Quote:
I have a question: How does Steampunk Panic manage user accounts? I saw there's this player ID number, but the game isn't linked to LameCenter as far as I know (I've never seen the "Welcome" banner show up). This came to my mind when I thought of something like "what if I change my device? Will I be able to use "sebgo" in the new one?"
I'm not using Game Center, Facebook, or any other service for managing player credentials. The benefit of these services is that they are linked to an email auto-magically for you, and if you switch devices, you can carry everything over. Which is great for cross-platform games. Steampunk Panic allows you to compete against iOS and Android users, as they both touch the same server. However, since I'm not using Facebook or my own account system with your email or user name, there is no cross-platform player accounts. Some games have a "migrate device" feature where you get a generated code on one device (such as your iPhone) and then you type it into your iPad and it syncs up. I haven't done that, but will probably do it in the future!

Now, as for you question!

In general, your progress and account is linked to your device. HOWEVER, if you have iCloud sync enabled, you should be able to use another device. But it hasn't been tested 100% to my satisfaction, so it's just a "should be working" type of feature

The general summary of what happens is that once you install one of my games, iOS generates a unique ID that is linked to your phone and my studio's apps. If you have two of my apps and uninstall one of them, this UUID sticks around. If you remove all of my apps and then install another one, a new ID is generated. This is problematic, of course. So, as a bonus safety measure, I store this generated UUID in your phone's keychain. If you have iCloud sync turned on, there is a very high chance that the keychain is also synced up to the cloud and when you start a new device and log in with iCloud, this keychain is synced. My app checks the keychain FIRST, then the iOS generated UUID second if it wasn't found.

If this doesn't happen correctly or there was an issue, your new device and your old device will be using different IDs. The player ID is not public and only you can see it. If you have your old player ID and your new player ID, I can jump onto my server and link them together, so your data switches over.

For my other game, Idle Realm, this will transfer everything you have, except for your current island map's progression, requiring you to restart that island. For that game, I need to allow the current state to be saved into the cloud and pulled down when doing a device migration, which I haven't tackled yet. Steampunk panic has no save data on your device (other than your offline scores).

Quote:
Edit: Well, after updating, I launch the game and it says version 1.1... then I check AppStore and there's "another" available update... xD
Blarg, I hate it when that happens. Good luck with the next download!
05-17-2018, 08:55 AM

I don't know whether the update made the game harder or maybe I wasn't in the mood for playing focused (yesterday was my first day back to work and I was really sleepy when I got home). Played only Easy and Expert modes and couldn't reach my own hi-scores. In Easy mode, I was happy to get past the x99 multiplier (made it to x223 until I hit the red button) but couldn't reach 1M pts, made it to roughly 950K. In expert mode, by x60 I was already having a hard time trying to pick up and keep the pace, and my best score during that game session was 7M.

I'll keep playing some more later. I wonder how other players are doing with this update...
05-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Before the update it had become unplayable for me due to so many blurry crashes. That seems to be cured now so I shall spend more time playing each level. I dont see the game being more difficult. I undertand it should be easier at the lower multiples. I think your high scores are safe sebgo as I wont be approaching those any time soon. Im always battling against my own reflexes which keep heading for the safety of the green buttons to avoid losing time.
05-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Quote:
I don't know whether the update made the game harder or maybe I wasn't in the mood for playing focused (yesterday was my first day back to work and I was really sleepy when I got home). Played only Easy and Expert modes and couldn't reach my own hi-scores. In Easy mode, I was happy to get past the x99 multiplier (made it to x223 until I hit the red button) but couldn't reach 1M pts, made it to roughly 950K. In expert mode, by x60 I was already having a hard time trying to pick up and keep the pace, and my best score during that game session was 7M.

I'll keep playing some more later. I wonder how other players are doing with this update...
In terms of balance, multiplier will make your game harder. You can fly to the sun if you want, but you'll get burned.

If you stick with the x1 multiplier, the game will peak at the same speed as prior to the update. The max speed of the game based upon how many taps you made hasn't changed.

So, without a multiplier, each mode's "base" max speed is:

Easy: 1.0 seconds
Hard: 0.85 seconds
Expert: 0.75 seconds

If you want to sit there and just grind a score with a low multiplier, these times work, but will lead to much longer games and are not as interesting. Of course, bumping the multiplier up a little bit will drastically improve your score, but you'll still need to stick with a current game a lot longer than you used to.

The amount of button taps you need to hit before this max speed is reached is larger, so the game will ramp up slower than before. Since multipliers add 1/4th of the speed they used to, you can cruise with a higher multiplier in the early game, but once you tapped at least 200 times in Expert, you're maxed out your normal speed and you'll start feeling the multiplier burn and will want to manage those numbers.

With multipliers factored in, the "absolute" max speed the game can reach is:

Easy: 0.65 seconds (was 0.9 seconds)
Hard: 0.55 seconds (was 0.75 seconds)
Expert: 0.425 seconds (was 0.6 seconds)

0.2 seconds is a pretty large jump, especially if you were used to the old speeds.

This is a tough thing to balance, because I want the multipliers to increase the speed of the game, but at the same time, I also want the game to get faster over time in general.

I dabbled with the idea of not having the game get faster over time, only letting the multiplier affect this. That way, if you want a higher score, you'll have to pay the price and get a faster game. Naturally, the player will want to increase their multiplier, so this will satisfy the idea of the game getting faster over time. Unfortunately, with the "reset multiplier" button, this will immediately drop the game speed again. I guess it would give you a chance to breathe and slow down for a while with this method. I might explore that option again.

So, back and forth I go with how this should work. All new players will see these times as default, but they might not be able to reach as high on the leaderboard as the old values. This will be the case when new buttons are added as well, as some button types might not provide as many points as you could have gotten if it was a multiplier button that appeared instead.
05-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
Before the update it had become unplayable for me due to so many blurry crashes. That seems to be cured now so I shall spend more time playing each level.
I'm glad the game is working for you now! To the best of my knowledge, the only two bugs that came in for the game were the blurred screen freeze and the +99 multiplier crash. With those fixed, the game is currently stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
I think your high scores are safe sebgo as I wont be approaching those any time soon. Im always battling against my own reflexes which keep heading for the safety of the green buttons to avoid losing time.
I honestly don't know if I can keep up with sebgo on the leaderboard right now. The first scores I saw on there, yeah, totally got this! Now ... I'll still try, though!
05-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat the Moon View Post
I honestly don't know if I can keep up with sebgo on the leaderboard right now. The first scores I saw on there, yeah, totally got this! Now ... I'll still try, though!
You should join the leaderboards soon. Use a fake account, something like "ImNotTheDev" or something that might help you disguise like a regular player. My current challenge is trying to get the highest multiplier I can. On easy, I made it to x223 and I was doing fine but I was careless and tapped the red button.

On expert... by x60 I'm already feeling the pressure, but in ver 1.1 I was able to reach x90+ (probably what helped me get such a high score), so that's a big difference.

I have another question:
I haven't checked app details but, does this work on iOS7? I showed the game to my sister and she liked it, but she owns an iPhone4 so I wasn't sure if I could tell her to download it... my younger brother, on the other hand, said "that looks boring"... silly kid. xD