Wiiware ports to iPhone and iPad - it will be like printing money!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by caanerud, Apr 13, 2011.

1. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    #1 caanerud, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    Attention: Game publishers,

There is a great opportunity for some enterprising company to start porting over existing Wiiware games to iOS. World of Goo, Max and the Magic Marker, Bit Trip Beat and the upcoming Swords and Soldiers are a great start, but there are tons of games that would translate beautifully to the iPhone / iPad.

Flowerworks
    Robox
    The Konami Rebirth series
    Bit Trip Runner
    Cave Story
    Onslaught
    Water Warfare
    And Yet It Moves
    Art of Balance
    Mega Man 9 and 10
    Blaster Master Overdrive
    Alien Crush Returns
    Jett Rocket
    Frobot
    Liight

...and many, many more. They would be cheaper on the app store, they have fairly small file sizes, and better yet THE GAME IS ALREADY MADE.

So get on it, please. I want to play these games on my iPad :)

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If only it were that simple!

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    This is not a convincing argument. Actually, this is probably the biggest reason we don't see more of these games being ported.

4. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    It was more of an observation than an argument in favor of porting them. I guess I could argue that they would sell more based on the Apple user base and the lower price, but who really knows?

5. DarwinAce

DarwinAce Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    i kind of agree with caanerud... and it's what many companies are actually doing. I think that too many developers think that just because they can program and have visual art skills they can come up with a game.

Having the game already developed, and if it was a success... considering that the game is off the shelves after a few years, re-creating the game for the iphone/ipad with a profit sharing agreement with the original designer is a very viable option for game developers.

Not only they'll have a hit on the appstore right away, they don't need to invest on the game research and development, as most of the game content would be provided by the company.

I'm saying re-creating, instead of porting, because porting never works right... the game needs a slight readjustments to be recreated for the ipod/ipad, and from a certain standpoint, it could be easier just to recreate it, rather than deal with the many problems of porting and unhappy customers.

The only problem i could foresee here is that the original designer is too greedy and wants to develop the game for the iOS himself, which sometimes with a busy schedule will never happen.

6. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    As far as I am aware of Nicalis have a made a deal with Nintendo so they can only release Cave Story on Nintendo consoles. I remember they sent a cease-and-desist order to a fanmade PSP port.

And in a perfect world, Nintendo would port their first-party WiiWare games to iOS. Games like Fluidity, Chick Chick BOOM, and the Art Style games would work perfect on an iPhone.

7. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    i always wondered why bit.trip beat was the first bit.trip they ported, with the popularity of endless runner type games (i.e. cannabalt clones) bit.trip runner seems like a a no brainer

8. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    a little unrelated but Defend Your Castle from WiiWare was also ported to the AppStore.

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    A few of these I could see happening.

10. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    (Found this topic while Googling, random!)

Well we already got LostWinds 1 & 2, NyxQuest and World of Goo :D

But ya know what, I'd give my left arm for Jett Rocket, that'd be amazing! Like our own Mario Galaxy!

11. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I would like castle crashers and Limbo and from Wii fluidity and whatever also fez maybe?